MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #41
Flip
zen in 2010

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'02 750

commutin

yeah. everyday, mam. i love houston traffic. u gotta b ready 4 anything every second. everyday i see somethin new. people takin notes, eatin, readin while drivin. furniture, animals, parts fallin off trucks. wooden pallets gettin run over by tractor trailers & shatterin into a million pieces. it's those late night rides round town that make it worth it, tho. It's bout 30 mi in 2 work, but it always seems 2 be 60 or 90 on the way home. . . everyday is my weekend when i'm on her. . .
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ariel Atom... I want one for my daily commute specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-04-2009 08:04 AM
Best Rear Street Tire for Daily Commute and Weekend Fun WillieFlo General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 10-24-2008 11:13 AM
How many of you guys daily ride your bike? manitzchris General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 08-16-2008 04:29 PM
I'd like to ride this as my daily bike Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 10-29-2006 06:42 PM
You think you have a commute? bdmpastx Off Topic 32 05-05-2006 08:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
pretty much the only time i ride anymore is to work and back :(
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #43
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

I commute on the bike unless the weather is not agreeable. It's about 7 miles 1 way and thankfully I don't have to hit any major freeways.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #44
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

I forgot about a near miss - Eastside of 8 just after entering the on ramp right before the 59 exchange where it is two lanes with a center concrete barrier that has light poles. I was behind a full sized truck in the left lane when I saw something flash off to the right side of it. Took a quick peek to the right, then back to the left and noticed it was all one piece. Some kind of thick pliable plastic had found itself wrapped around the light pole and was streaming across my lane and about 2 feet into the right lane. It followed the outline of the truck (up and over), kind of like pipe bent over the road, then drastically back down on me. Luckily I had seen that initial flash so I knew it was coming. I rolled on the throttle getting very close to the back of the truck, tucked my head in, hitting the windscreen with my forehead and chin on the tank. It barely cleared me. I can only speculate what would have happend had I not seen it.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #45
Phydeaux
Flat Black > Rash

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux
I commute every single day no matter the weather (ok, save for the freak ice storms we get every 12 years or so). The HOV is an absolute godsend both ways. I will settle for stationary concrete over careening morons any day. Round trip Mon. Wed. and Fri. is roughly 30 miles. Tues. and Thurs. are school nights out in Cy-Fair so the round trip is roughly 90 miles. Stories? Are we allowed to use that many characters in one post?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #46
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I forgot about a near miss - Eastside of 8 just after entering the on ramp right before the 59 exchange where it is two lanes with a center concrete barrier that has light poles. I was behind a full sized truck in the left lane when I saw something flash off to the right side of it. Took a quick peek to the right, then back to the left and noticed it was all one piece. Some kind of thick pliable plastic had found itself wrapped around the light pole and was streaming across my lane and about 2 feet into the right lane. It followed the outline of the truck (up and over), kind of like pipe bent over the road, then drastically back down on me. Luckily I had seen that initial flash so I knew it was coming. I rolled on the throttle getting very close to the back of the truck, tucked my head in, hitting the windscreen with my forehead and chin on the tank. It barely cleared me. I can only speculate what would have happend had I not seen it.
Good job looking ahead.

If you want to survive the streets you have to be a defensive rider. I could have been taken out by 3 different cages last week, but I watch my speed for the environment, look ahead and around, and anticipate bad decisions from 4 wheeler drivers.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #47
carlos flores
WE DONT DIE...WE MULTIPLY

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 gixxer sixxer

when i had my bike i rode it everyday to work which was from 4:30 in the afternoon to 2:30 in the morning when i got off work ....man i love riding at night IT FEELS GOOD no cars or trucks just me .....i take 45 to 610 east to 225 its a little ride but no cars so u know i was speeding ......
carlos flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #48
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
I do. It's much cheaper than the truck on gas, and it's a nice ride in the early mornings (I drive downtown from 59 and 242 at 6AM).

If you've been commuting on your bike, please tell your stories.
Now I know where to fine you

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #49
xrcrx
Immortal

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR Repsol Edition #369
Suzuki TLR1000

Pretty much every day-46 mile round trip, rain or shine, hot or cold. Cell phone users are my greatest enemy. 99% of all the close calls I've had have involved someone on a cell phone.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #50
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

I ride everyday as far as there is no rain in the morning. I have to dress business casual in the office so I can not get rain poured when getting to my workplace (office environment). I use everyday the I-10 HOV lane from Katy (I-10 and Mason Rd) all the way to the Galleria area. I wear full gear (leather jacket, mesh overpants, riding boots) and keep my dressing shoes in the office. When coming back I exit the HOV on HWY-6 and go all the way North to Clay Rd. and from there all the way west to my Home in the N. Fry Rd. area.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #51
8abusa
Rollin on the cruiser now

Bike(s):
zx14-Sold
Ride Smart Warrior-Sold
ZX6R-Sold
Yamaha VMAX

i ride every day have been for the past 5 or so years. Not far just about 30 miles round trip, but i wouldnt have it any other way
8abusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #52
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

I commute with my bike quite often. But then my office is about 800 yards from my house
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #53
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

I use to ride everyday to work. I will pull the bike out at Night every once in a while but most of the time it stays on the track
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #54
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I ride every day....but I only have a 3.5 mile ride to work. Yeah its short....but I either carry my gear to work or wear it to work as I work in the service department of a bike dealer. I usually drive one day a week to carry in a bunch of water and snacks and meals for the week, that way i do not have to ride home at lunch or get tempted by the Double Daves Pizza Buffet down the highway.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #55
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
I do it just about every day. There will be a day or two every now and then when I wake up late or just dont feel like putting the boots and gear on, and I will cage it.

But my car has been on an empty tank for about a week and a half and I just filled the bike up yesterday, so it looks like another week on the bike....lol

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #56
daniel-son

Bike(s):
'07 Z1000

Everyday, 6 days a week, 24 miles round trip. My Z is all I have, so it's rain or shine. I like the ride, it's just difficult to have restraint and go the posted speed, not split lanes or do wheelies... Once you get used to that speed and rush, it's hard to quit cold turkey, but 'having fun' isn't worth what it costs....
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #57
Nox

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)

if its 20% or less chance of rain im riding. sometimes i dont get in my truck for 7 or 8 days at a time.

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #58
exlaverda

104 mi. per day, sunny or rainy back and forth to work.... Richmond to Clear Lake....

My Harley ain't a "garage queen"......
'76 Laverda3CL....
PGR rider, and proud of it!
exlaverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #59
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
I DO TO SCHOOL AND SOMETIMES TO WORK, but both are less than 15 minutes away so sometimes I just take the car when I dont have time to gear up.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #60
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

Good thread.

I think commuting makes up more than 90% of my riding. I typically rack up 16,000+ miles per year. I am at the point that I am now slightly off for the day if I have to drive in the truck for some reason. My commute is about 45 minutes each way. Thankfully, about half is country roads. I consider my ride to work one of the perks of the job. I actually considered a job transfer to West Virginia a few years back partially on the basis that the commute would include the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The key things commuting has taught me:
  • Have flexible gear options to handle the weather,
  • Heated grips are the best mod ever,
  • Use luggage that does not distract you while you are riding,
  • A host of street strategies that could probably warrant a thread of their own.

I saw a list posted of street survival skills not too long ago that I found myself nodding "yes" to most of the items in the list. If I can dig it up, I'll throw it in here.

Just yesterday, I had a drive home that included an abrupt lane changer in my path, a car darting left out of a lot through a line of cars because another driver gave him the all clear, and a skidding car changing lanes to be closer to the light who did not see me as he approached. My instincts and routine riding strategies got me safely through all of these. Commuting forces you to hone these skills.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement