MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
speedismo
OCD for speed

Feedback Rating: (0)

TWS (Texas World Speedway) track talk..

Well, I was thinking that maybe we can talk a few things about some of the tracks that we guyz on this forum do.. the lines to take, things to avoid, the easy turns, the tough turns, the tricky ones,what to do going into..or coming out etc etc.. basically talk whatever you think relevant about that track(TWS (Texas World Speedway) for this thread)..

Purpose it serves..noobs like me would get to learn a few good things from all u pros out there, and anybody hitting that track will have a feww good pointers that would keep them safe. Plus I think, even veterans might get to know a new thing or two...

To start, the way I see, turn 1 can be taken at a VERY high speed, if only for the mental barrier. one could then gradually slow down for turn 2, maybe using some trailbraking.
7 and 12(left hander after horse shoe) I think can be taken without braking at all..though you would quickly need to get on the brakes when u come out..
Over all, I think that 1,3, 6, 9(8a) are the most risky ones, and one should play safe until u know them well. horseshoe and then 13-14-15 r the slowest. 1, 4, 5,7,12 and 15 could be taken extremely fast after u know a thing or two about the track.

Also, I end up using 4th gear for most of the part except 6th in front striaght, and 3rd in horseshoe and 13-14-15 . I think thats kinda stupid of me and i need to get into lower gears more. wat gears u guyz usually do?
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
all this sumo talk - made a track out of a school parking lot mekrew Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 18 06-22-2009 09:37 AM
It's TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day.... maxgs Taking it to the Track 2 04-04-2009 06:11 AM
RideSmart Track Day - 2009 TRACK SCHEDULE ADDITION - 4.04.2009 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 02-13-2009 04:47 PM
Pics from TWS (Texas World Speedway)- off the track! Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 09-02-2008 10:35 PM
In light of all the track/accident talk... dhdrider General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-25-2007 04:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

6 on the straigh let off the gas and catch 2 down after the bump, grab 1 more down if I need to get a pass in for T2. Grab 1 down for T3 and grab 1 up after the turn on wheelie hill. (Helps keep the tire down by shifting there to.) Run 3rd through T4,T5, T6, grabbing 4th on the exit of T6 and nailing it through T7 until I get to the top of the hill and see T8. I am not to aggressive in this area so I usually stay in 4th until I catch 1 down for the horseshoe. Grad 1 up after the left after the horseshoe onto the straight and nail it through the T12 until grabbing 1 down into the chicane. Sometimes grab 2 down going into the chicane if there is traffic. Backup to 6th and do it all over again.

Just wait until the track comes in before you get to agressive.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody

I think this is experience talking here..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

i will read this as soon as i have the ability to do so.

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
6 on the straigh let off the gas and catch 2 down after the bump, grab 1 more down if I need to get a pass in for T2. Grab 1 down for T3 and grab 1 up after the turn on wheelie hill. (Helps keep the tire down by shifting there to.) Run 3rd through T4,T5, T6, grabbing 4th on the exit of T6 and nailing it through T7 until I get to the top of the hill and see T8. I am not to aggressive in this area so I usually stay in 4th until I catch 1 down for the horseshoe. Grad 1 up after the left after the horseshoe onto the straight and nail it through the T12 until grabbing 1 down into the chicane. Sometimes grab 2 down going into the chicane if there is traffic. Backup to 6th and do it all over again.

yeah, I knew i needed to get into lower gears.. but wat about the speeds.. but wat speeds do ppl do the turns.. esp 1, 2, 7, 12. i touch arnd 150 in the front striaght, then slow down to maybe 100 fot T1 and do arnd 120 at the back striaght before I slow down to 90-100 for T7. I dunno abt others , never got a chance to see the speedo.

also, from a noob perspective, which are the sections where one can shave off most seconds? (for me, all :icon_bigg I guess)

And Jake, nobody knows about abilities untill u give ita a try. i m pretty lousy still but I dont mind going and trying it out! so come out some time bro
Old 11-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
I can't wait till I make it to TWS (Texas World Speedway)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

most peeps cover there speedo's up.........i do.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
ufo34
Carlos V

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
I don't look how fast i'm going, if I do, I'll slow down :eh:
ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
yups, but regulars have a fair idea I guess about what kind speed they bring into, esp the fast turns..
Old 11-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
jeffrh
Big Long Member

Bike(s):
05 Repsol 1KRR

If you can read a word document, check out this doc:
Best to right click and save the doc to your disk.

http://jeffhelms.com/media/ssb/events/TWS (Texas World Speedway)-notes.doc

If you can't read a word document, then check this out:

http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/TWS (Texas World Speedway)%20Maps.htm
2000 Dodge Viper GTS ACR
2004 Lexus RX330
1999 Lexus RX470
2005 Polaris Predator 500 TLD
2004 Polaris Predator 90
www.springsportbikes.com

jeffssig

Last edited by jeffrh; 11-02-2005 at 06:06 PM.
jeffrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
zixx6r

I used this the first time I went to TWS (Texas World Speedway)...

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/driving/TWS (Texas World Speedway)/twslap.html

Gave me an idea of what to expect. It's for 4 wheels, not 2...but the lines are essentially the same. Turn 7 is one of my favorites on the track, "a left-hand, uphill, increasing radius, banked turn" (from article). I dont brake for it anymore and I like the feeling of the suspension compressing when you hit the upslope at 100+.

Absolute favorite would be the left hander coming out of the carousel, picking the bike up out of that turn feels really good. I yelled inside my helmet the first time I nailed the line correctly, it felt great.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo34
I don't look how fast i'm going, if I do, I'll slow down :eh:
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Fastest I seen on the bank is 161, downshifting and braking in T1 is around 140 down to 120 for T2. Not real sure about T3 because I am usually hard on the brakes and downshifting. Haven't really looked anywhere else because I am to busy with the track. A huge amount of time gets dropped on the bank and T1/T2. Getting your lines straight in the back will help you see some serious gains. I still have not tried to bump up the pace through T8/T9. The wall gives me chills. If you hold your pace longer through the horseshoe and get a better drive out of T11 that will help you gain time down that straight to T12. Late apexing T13 and staying smooth on the throttle through the chicane will allow for a big drive onto the bank. You should the squared up at the end of the second kink in the chican to drive onto the bank low. That is where you want to get on so you avoid the huge bump that kills your speed and/or throws you off your bike.

Just focus on braking and lines and your times will change real quick. Don't worry about the time and focus on the basics and staying smooth. Your speed will come with more laps around the track.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/TWS (Texas World Speedway)%20Maps.htm

Advertisement