MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
DJSuperVillain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
08 Honda CBR1000rr
07 ZZR600 (sold)

Corner Braking

I know you're supposed to do all your braking before going into a turn, but what if you have to brake slightly in the turn? Is it better to use you front, rear, or both brakes. I'm not talking about stopping, just reducing speed a little.

My bike crashed into a DJ
DJSuperVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Braking for beginners DuckySTi How To's and Q & A's 0 05-26-2012 03:03 PM
must have for one finger braking.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 34 12-10-2008 02:28 PM
trail braking? Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-17-2008 12:25 PM
Braking Technique Cherub General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-12-2007 03:54 PM
braking to the apex or not?? CarbonJames How To's and Q & A's 18 05-26-2005 08:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

look and press > brakes
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

You hit the brakes in a turn the bike is going to try to stand up, and you'll go straight off the road. What you need to do is tuck your weight forward a little more, get your off the to the side of the seat and look where you want to go.

There is a the concept of trail braking, but I'll let some one else explain that one

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Here are a couple of threads on the subject. They range from street to track discussions.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=trail+braking

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Try not to brake, just push through the turn. If you have to drag a small amount of back brake. You definitely do NOT want to use your front brakes because your front tire turning the bike.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
fly_737

Bike(s):
07 r6

Pyro you can use the front brake allday long in a turn I do it all the time on the tack as a matte of fact I never use my rear brake on the track front only. It I called trail braking the more track days you do you find out about it ask one of the instructors at msrh they can explain it to ya.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
fly_737

Bike(s):
07 r6

I am posting from my phone please forgive typos
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_737 View Post
Pyro you can use the front brake allday long in a turn I do it all the time on the tack as a matte of fact I never use my rear brake on the track front only. It I called trail braking the more track days you do you find out about it ask one of the instructors at msrh they can explain it to ya.
Haven't learned trailbraking. On the track I try to take care of all my braking before the turn.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

just lean over farther, chances are that the bike will lean a lot more than you believe it will, always better than braking mid-corner.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I have, occassionally, used slight front braking mid turn or actually more at the pre-apex point in the corner. Not a handful, just slightly. I am pretty new to the track but have NEVER used the back brake in a corner at all. If I am cornering right, I cant even get my foot on the rear brake. Corner left is just about as hard to reach the back brake also. I also try to keep a load on the suspension when working with the front brake. I dont complete close the throttle and then grab the front brake.

Using the back brake

Like Mckee said...I'll let more experienced riders talk about trail braking. Having thought about it more, I shouldnt even have chimed in considering I barley know what the I am doing!
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

With rear brake I was referring to street riding, not on the track. (This isn't in the racers section this is General Discussion) On the track obviously you would only use rear brake if say you went off the track because you won't be able to get your foot on it if the ball of your foot is on the peg how it should be.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
With rear brake I was referring to street riding, not on the track. (This isn't in the racers section this is General Discussion) On the track obviously you would only use rear brake if say you went off the track because you won't be able to get your foot on it if the ball of your foot is on the peg how it should be.
Actually you can use the rear brake on the track as well and the faster guys do. The rear brake is great for midcorner adjustments.

But like has Jody said I'm just freaking slow
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Actually you can use the rear brake on the track as well and the faster guys do. The rear brake is great for midcorner adjustments.

But like has Jody said I'm just freaking slow
I was taught no rear brake on the track. But then again I am just a novice.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

My bad.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I don't know about anyone that uses the rear brake for "mid corner adjustments"- it's possible I guess, I've never heard of it though. Motards are the only bikes I know of that actively may still use the rear brake a bit in the corner.

Trail braking is a skill, and should be handled with care. I use the front brake for trail braking and mid-corner adjustments, but really only when I'm on a fast pace and am trying to make a pass or set up for a pass. There is really no good reason to practice trail braking on the street, on the track, it should be approached with caution.

At some of the bigger/ wider tracks, you can practice this skill at slower paces. A light touch on the front brake in the corner will give you a taste of what it does for you mid-corner
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I was taught no rear brake on the track. But then again I am just a novice.
Good advice as a general "rule of thumb", but not an absolute. Plenty of folks use the rear brakes, but I don't think I know of any using it for mid-corner adjustments. There are much better methods for that like engine braking and trail braking (with the front brakes).

You just can't get the feel of the brakes with the rear imho.

Again, I wouldn't advise doing this on the street at all.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

If so:

I would suggest taking advantage of one of the many track day organizations that support this site by signing up for an event along with the rider school. You will learn about this amongst many other crucial things for riding your motorcycle.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I use both if really necessary, but primarily will use the front.

Application of either needs to be with knowledge of what the chassis is doing:

As you apply the front brake, weight transfers to the front tire.
It can apply more weight to it giving it more traction, but it can also apply too much force to it, causing it to lose traction and low side.

The rear is a bit different. As you apply the front brakes, the rear of the bike becomes unweighted and will become more sensitive to locking up.
Applying a bit of rear brake along with the front will help "even the chassis".
The application of the rear brake, if done correctly while still applying throttle, will make the rear suspension squat a bit moving, the weight transfer to the rear.
Caution must be used though as this weight transfer can also unweight the front tire causing it to lose traction.
Trail braking is a skill best developed initially at slower speeds so you can get a feel for what the bike is doing.
Keep in mind what I've just explained about what the application of each is doing to the chassis will help you understand it easier.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

MSF teaches us to fear the front brake, and to use both at the same time. Not a bad idea to use both but I don't like the fact that they instill fear in the fronts. I use a touch of front if I need to correct a line or to scrub off some speed, even while in turn. I've used it on track as well as street. I guess out of all the nuances of riding there are, braking with the front in a turn is not something I fear. All other points listed here are valid, it's the same thing where each rider will have different levels of confort with certain things. Some will be able to do this with no compunction while others, despite how many times you are told things 'can' be done some people just have their own comfort zone. I don't think it is something to fear and I'd say that out of all the aspects of riding, being a brake master is one thing you should strive for. Do you ride with your two fingers draped over the front brake lever? Keeps them there, always ready to apply a smooth even light application. Cut down on grabbing too much lever if you ask me, but everyone's got a different style.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I think it's important to learn about trail braking. If you are in a corner and you see something in the road it's good to know how to utilize this skill. I use it when needed.

You could also go on a back road with large radius corners and go through and experiment at low speeds. At least you will have some idea of how it works.

Advertisement