MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
AdamC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quick help needed

Hey I am writing an argumentative essay right now, and I picked doing it on Helmet Laws.

Anyone want to add to my list of pro's and con's before I start writing this?

Pros: Saves lives, Could help lower insurance, Helps to lower hospital bills in accidents, Improves the public image of riders, Increases control of the motorcycle by decreasing distractions to the rider (noise, bugs, debris, wind)

Cons : Government meddling in personal freedoms, Decreases visibility (full face shield) Costly for a good helmet,
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Feedback Needed: Honda XR100 Dirtbike Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-10-2012 10:26 PM
Quick!!!!! jwreck Sports 0 06-11-2012 09:56 PM
PC TECHS Needed: Seagate PCB Needed *Pic Inside* Los Off Topic 8 10-20-2009 09:45 PM
Need Help Quick! Mala Lingua Off Topic 3 02-27-2007 10:26 PM
QUICK QUICK who recognises this skyline? Ramius Off Topic 25 02-07-2006 01:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

maybe you should add age requirements or something...I don't know
Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
nels

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Cant remember where, but I've heard an arguement against saying that helmets cause whiplash. I think it was a con coming from a cruiser perspective. I'll see if I can find it.

RacerX don't bash me with "who, what, when, where, msf?" lol
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
AdamC

Thanks all for the help so far , I appreciate it
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels
Cant remember where, but I've heard an arguement against saying that helmets cause whiplash. I think it was a con coming from a cruiser perspective. I'll see if I can find it.

I think it actually prevents it...you don't get neck injuries from wearing a helmet...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
AdamC

Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

can't you get some info on the MSF sites also?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
nels

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by j14
I think it actually prevents it...you don't get neck injuries from wearing a helmet...
Yeah thats my same thought, but that's what what said.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
AdamC

Quote:
Yeah thats my same thought, but that's what what said.

No that is a good post , I need both sides of the issue, including ones that are widely used and incorrect
Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC
No that is a good post , I need both sides of the issue, including ones that are widely used and incorrect
lol...so you're saying one of us is wrong? :laughing6

anyway, when I broke my clavicle...the helmet saved my head but broke my collar bone...but I'd have a broken bone any day rather than a bleeding brain
Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

more of an 'old wives tale'.........just making excuses.........for why NOT to wear a lid.

most m/c deaths are from head injuries not whiplash......... :laughing6
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
more of an 'old wives tale'.........just making excuses.........for why NOT to wear a lid.

most m/c deaths are from head injuries not whiplash......... :laughing6
lol...I don't know why they don't want to wear a helmet...it's only half a helmet anyways :laughing6
Old 11-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
nels

Bike(s):

Yeah, if you google motorcycle helmet whiplash, you'll find some stuff.

here's a clip from http://www.streetbiker-mag.com/sb0128/2.html ... While the C1 clearly offers protection that normal motorcycles do not, Parker's moral case is strengthened by the fact that a helmet will exacerbate whiplash injuries when the rider's body is restrained, as it is in the C1, because the helmet adds considerable weight to the head. While the whiplash effect will be worse in the case of the C1 rider, it is often a factor in all motorcycle accidents. So if it can be argued that Government legislation is aggravating whiplash injuries in this case it opens the door to the argument that. albeit to a lesser degree, helmet legislation could be implicated in aggravated whiplash in many normal motorcycle accidents.

I guess most arguements refer to the weight/force ratio
Old 11-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
nels

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by j14
lol...I don't know why they don't want to wear a helmet...it's only half a helmet anyways :laughing6
either that or a beanie lol
Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #16
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Yeah, if you google motorcycle helmet whiplash, you'll find some stuff.

here's a clip from http://www.streetbiker-mag.com/sb0128/2.html ... While the C1 clearly offers protection that normal motorcycles do not, Parker's moral case is strengthened by the fact that a helmet will exacerbate whiplash injuries when the rider's body is restrained, as it is in the C1, because the helmet adds considerable weight to the head. While the whiplash effect will be worse in the case of the C1 rider, it is often a factor in all motorcycle accidents. So if it can be argued that Government legislation is aggravating whiplash injuries in this case it opens the door to the argument that. albeit to a lesser degree, helmet legislation could be implicated in aggravated whiplash in many normal motorcycle accidents.

I guess most arguements refer to the weight/force ratio
isn't that because of the type of bike he rides? I mean, you have people that ride and race all the time and wear helmets, but they'd rather wear a helmet because it saves their life. Take for instance Arturo...the first thing that hit the ground when he highsided was his forhead...luckily he had a helmet on, otherwise it would have been bye bye for him
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

con=helmet hair... :eh:
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #18
j14
Señor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto
con=helmet hair... :eh:
lol...what hair??
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #19
AdamC

This is a quick draft I did in about 30 minutes, No where near even a rough draft, but lining my paper up. Any comments ( other than grammar and spelling errors, I did not proof this prewrite)

In the realm of motorcycle riders, there are differing opinions on laws requiring the use of a helmet while operating a motorcycle. In 1997 it became effective in Texas for all riders under 21 to wear a helmet, but the law allows for exemptions for riders over the age of 21 to ride without. These exemptions include completing a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, and carrying a certain minimum amount of personal injury insurance. There have been several attempts by the riding community to modify this law over the last few years, but there has not been an agreement reached that has gained enough support to effect a change. Due to the increase in new riders in Texas, I now feel it is necessary to strengthen and enforce the current helmet law with stricter guidelines.
Increasing the amount of riders wearing a helmet will lower the extent of injuries occurred during motorcycle riding. Severe injuries cause insurance and medical premiums to increase, causing the costs to be passed on to all society. Therefore by requiring riders to wear helmets, there will be less of a financial burden placed on society.
There is an argument that is popularly used among critics of stricter helmet laws, that the use of a helmet decreases visibility. While on the surface this may seem to make sense, a better understanding of helmets will disprove this argument. All helmets sold in Texas must be DOT approved, and one of the requirements for approval is a clear field of vision while wearing the helmet. Not to mention, while cruising around without a helmet, a bug hitting your eye at sixty miles per hour, quickly causes your visibility to decrease.
Helmets also limit distractions such as noise from wind, debris, and the effects of wind itself on the eyes.
It has also been stated that wearing a helmet can increase the risk of neck injuries, resulting in a more severe injury then normal. The assumption made on this argument is a heavier weight on your head during a crash causes whiplash and possibly death due to a broken neck. While there have been a miniscule amount of random injuries caused by wearing a helmet, this is far from normal. There have been studies showing use of a helmet in an accident reduces the amount of serious injuries and fatalities by eighty-five percent compared to a similar crash without a helmet.
One of the most commonly used statements made by attackers of helmet laws, is it is unconstitutional, and detracts from our personal freedoms. Stop signs, street lights, and speed limits all are put in place by our government for the safety of all motorists, and no one will dispute the validity of those laws. The helmet law is just another requirement, such as not running a stop sign, and therefore is constitutional.
Recently while riding with my brother, I witnessed him wreck and total his bike at seventy miles per hour. He flew through the air for at least forty feet before landing on his head on the side of the road. After the utter horror of the scene I witnessed sank in, I quickly turned around and stopped to assist him. As I pulled up many thoughts were racing threw my head.
“Is he dead, how bad is he injured” is what I yelled into my helmet.
Then after seeing him first move his feet, then hands, I realized he was ok. He stood up seconds later, and calmly removed his helmet. After seeing the huge indentation in the helmet, we realized that without it, my nephew would have lost his father. This just reinforces my opinion on the necessity of a helmet for all riders.
Most new riders are stricken with a superman complex, in which they believe that they are invincible. Unfortunately this increases the amount of riders that do not wear helmets while riding. This is why I feel that it is imperative to have stricter enforcement of helmet laws, and that there should be a higher cost involved in acquiring an exemption.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
listen to racer x
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement