MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
ShortbyNature
Member since day 1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
05' R1

Send a message via AIM to ShortbyNature Send a message via Yahoo to ShortbyNature
iRace fairing???

not to be confused with E race farings

thinking of buying some from a shop up in rockwall (dallas)

just wondering if any one has ever used these?

270 bucks plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAHAM...mZ250271432897
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fairing pooh73 How To's and Q & A's 5 05-05-2014 05:15 PM
New Fairing Lokati General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-20-2011 12:32 PM
Irace fairings installed (pics) ShortbyNature Taking it to the Track 8 08-17-2008 06:46 PM
New Stunt Fairing Jordo636 Stunters Lounge 23 06-12-2008 12:45 PM
help putting whole upper fairing headlight and stay. left fairing GsxrStar General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-03-2006 07:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You get what you pay for. I have worked with hundreds of sets of bodywork over the years and I haven't been proven wrong yet.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

hey i thought someone was selling some cheap plastics in the yamaha sponsors section.. go check it out.
sixerSLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50350

maybe not so cheap..
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerSLYGUY View Post
Yeah, but they're Sharkskinz, which is easily the second best bodywork on the market. $600 for new 'Skinz is a smokin' deal.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortbyNature View Post
not to be confused with E race farings

thinking of buying some from a shop up in rockwall (dallas)

just wondering if any one has ever used these?

270 bucks plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAHAM...mZ250271432897
Like Tom says, you indeed get what you pay for on body work. But stop by and check them out, then let us know what you think.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Yeah, but they're Sharkskinz, which is easily the second best bodywork on the market. $600 for new 'Skinz is a smokin' deal.
true... i just didnt add up all the diff. parts.

:sigh: perhaps one day i can afford some attack plastics.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerSLYGUY View Post
true... i just didnt add up all the diff. parts.

:sigh: perhaps one day i can afford some attack plastics.
Until the end of this month, they're going cheap! (Attack is having a sale)
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
I've used a few sets off ebay and all I have to say is......

THEY ARE FRICKIN" TRACK PLASTICS you posers!

If you are stupid enough to pay 600.00 plus, then another 400.00 for paint on a set of plastic that WILL see the ground, knock yourself out. Does it make you go faster??? Don't they all look alike from 5'?
I'll buy cheap fairings all day long and put the extra money in the suspention or motor any day. Buy the cheap set, then spend your savings on a set of race rubber.
All fairings crash poorly. Someone tells you one set crashed better than the other was simply lucky. They all break, they all crack, they can all be repaired. You going out to pose, or ride?
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
ShortbyNature
Member since day 1

Bike(s):
05' R1

Send a message via AIM to ShortbyNature Send a message via Yahoo to ShortbyNature
^^^ this is how i feel. as long as they fit decent... its all good. i just want them for the track

my buddy just bought some eracing for 370 shipped.... he had to drill but they fit pretty good.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

I am a poser for sure..
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

As I've said many times before, it's all preference, some folks would rather spend the money and be able to salvage bodywork after a crash, some would rather just spend the money on another set of cheap stuff. It's all good, really doesn't matter.

The facts are though, and a bit contrary to how Mr Beasley so eloquently said, that some bodywork DOES crash better, and some bodywork IS easier to repair, and some bodywork WILL NOT shatter or break apart on impact from "simple" crashes. The cheap stuff will, almost every time.

I don't try to sell this bodywork, I recommend it because it's true after repairing and mounting hundreds of sets of fellow racer's bodywork, Sharkskinz and Attack Composites bodywork has the above characteristics.

Simply, you can buy some cheap stuff, and maybe it will fit (maybe it won't), and maybe you'll crash and it won't destroy itself, maybe it will. I've seen plenty of damage to the cheap stuff from simple tip-overs in a trailer before.

Brands like Attack and Sharkskinz use superior grade fiberglass and resins which have different characteristics than the cheaper brand's materials. They also employ a manufacturing technique that lends itself to a better product (for many reasons).

You can buy some cheap stuff and crash it, and you'll be out a few hundred bucks, and go buy another set and start all over again- no harm there.

Most racers will spend the money up front on good bodywork, and know that it will crash and be more likely to be repaired over and over again without issue.

Our Sharkskinz on our endurance bike is 8 years old! It's been crashed a few times... yeah. Still looks great, still fits like a champ, and will still last for quite a while too! The cheap stuff? Eh, notsomuch.

You take a risk on lots of things when you take the track. Some of it is a calculated risk. I prefer to have the better bodywork on my bike and feel comfortable in knowing that if/ when I toss it, I will be able to repair it and it's gonna be in good shape for a long time.

YMMV. Personally, I don't care what brand anyone buys, I recommend based on what I personally have experience with and what has worked well for me and so many others over the years.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
you da man

I have some Eracing bodywork that I bought about 2 months ago and painted about 5-6 weeks ago. The only flaw I really found was that the undertail was not flush meaning the lines or fit was not exact. The upper and lower lines where they come together to meet are off slightly but nothing major. That's really about it. Take your time to do good prep work and you can put a good paint job on them...I did and I've never painted before.
DSCF0316
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
ShortbyNature
Member since day 1

Bike(s):
05' R1

when i wreck i want my sh|t to explode into a million pieces like a F1 car. so cheap it is.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortbyNature View Post
when i wreck i want my sh|t to explode into a million pieces like a F1 car. so cheap it is.
Just hope it's caught on film..............

Like said above, just take your time,do through prep, and you can make any brand look great.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

I bought a set of E-racing bodywork and for the price $325.00 and the fitment was close to factory bodywork as you could get, No grinding or cutting it was the best money I spent. although I crashed a week after I put them on, Due to a lowside in turn 11 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). They were fixable and cant even tell they were ever crashed. you don't need to spend a load of money for trackday skins, Get what you can afford and ride the out of it.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
mike

Member Garage

I just ordered a set of the I-Race plastics from Rockwall for the SV. I couldn't really find any information or feedback on them so I decided to give it a shot. They're $340 shipped and hope to get them next week. I will post up later on how they fit and look so that there's a reference.

Mike
Old 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

As I type this, I really don't know how it'll end...

First of all...I'm a Sharkskinz kinda guy on a Ebay budget (read as super cheap racer tighta$$). I possess both 'el cheapo' brand AND quality (Sharkskinz) bodywork. I also have bodywork that would maybe be considered 'mid grade'.

I agree with both Buck and Tom. Both are right in my opinion. By all means...if you want cheap bodywork then buy it. You could by 2 sets for the price of the good stuff. Nothing wrong with that. I have crashed the lower quality stuff and it does tend to 'smash' up a bit worse. Not to say it couldn't be repaired but the repair was gonna be more complicated.

I have had a set of Sharkskinz on my F2 since 1998. An endurance team ran this bodywork for a couple of years before I got it. It had been down/repaired before. It still wears the same paint from that race team. In the 10 years it's been on my bike it's been knocked over in a parking lot by some obviously BLIND bimbo. I also had a strap fail and it fell over in the back of my truck once. Out of those 2 tips...I've only chipped the paint (with NO frame sliders).

We have quality bodywork on our current endurance bike. I'm not sure of the brand (answer Tom?). I think it came from Tom but I'm not positive (answer Tom?). I know Tom painted it. Anyway...we lowsided at Hallett. The lowside wasn't too bad. We did get back into the race. The crash was bad enough to smash in that STUPID metal water pipe on the left side. The bodywork was scratched but not BROKE! Here is a pic of the crashed bike back in action. At the time of this pic we didn't know the pipe was smashed. We didn't figure to look as the body wasn't all busted up. The scrapes on the lower are from leaning not crashing...ask my team owner as I do that at every race.

IMG 3218 1

I guess my point is what Tom said...you get what you pay for.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
We have quality bodywork on our current endurance bike. I'm not sure of the brand (answer Tom?). I think it came from Tom but I'm not positive (answer Tom?). I know Tom painted it.
I guess my point is what Tom said...you get what you pay for.
Your pic isn't showing up for some reason, but I have a couple:

Rileys3rdBirthdayParty001

^^^ That's the Cycleskinz, and they went out of business (couldn't keep up with the Ebay brands that are killing the market right now). This is the stuff that crashed at Hallett. It is really too bad that this brand isn't available any more, it was priced under $550 shipped (my cost) and fit like OEM every time! Not to mention the crashability of it... it crashes very, very well.

iRace fairing???

^^^ That's the Hotbodies. You can't tell from the pics, but it doesn't fit near as well as the Cycleskinz does- the difference is incredible actually.

Both sets of your team's Hotbodies were basically destroyed after they crashed (the original set that Tom crashed at OHR in the first round and the second set that went on the bike for the endurance series that I patched up and yall are using as a backup set).

All three crashes were very similar, and the Hotbodies looked like they took a grenade.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement