MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

SV650 question...

Alright, the last few thousand miles it feels like my bike is shifting "sloppy" (the best way I can word it). It is almost like my clutch is not as fresh as it used to be. It's an 06 with 16,000 miles on it. I always change my oil on time, a coworker and I have adjusted the cable a few times, but still nothing seems to help. I am wondering if this loose or sloppy feel could be from the clutch cable, the springs, or maybe even the clutch wearing out, even though it seems a little early on to have clutch issues. Any advice would be appreciated and would like to hear if some of you SV guys have had any similar issues.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sv650 2005 ignition coil question logan5 How To's and Q & A's 1 04-18-2010 01:28 PM
Question: Need SV650 Help Urgently Tiller1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-18-2009 10:03 AM
does anybody have an sv650 speeddemon23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-20-2009 07:10 PM
SV650 gearing???? vmaxgirl Taking it to the Track 31 09-07-2008 10:17 AM
SV650 question: part out, stock, or track atizzle Taking it to the Track 37 08-16-2007 06:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Search on svrider.com for "Clutch Mantra" penned by Andyauger.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Define "sloppy".

Adjusting the cable does not adjust the clutch slave "throw". It's located on the countershaft cover and is the true adjustment of the clutch pull.

At 16k miles, your plates and steels may need to be replaced, and based on the type of riding you do, the basket could be dinged up enough to cause some "slop" too.

Clutch fibers/ steels, as well as a replacement basket, if all that is needed, is a cheap item for maintenance. Cheaper still is good oil and proper adjustment of the clutch system.

I'd start with a good oil change, proper clutch adjustment, and then go from there

Jason is right, SVRider.com is a great source too. There was a dude on there with the S/N "VFRacer-R" who was incredibly knowledgeable and I hear a really sharp dresser as well...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

There is an clutch adjustment (set screw) I have screwed it up myself. Take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and they should be able to set it in like 5 minutes.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

The "clutch mantra" guide will help you set the "linkage" or "throw" and not just the cable. If I get the chance tomorrow, I'll send you the link. Like the other said, cable is the last part of the adjustment not the first.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
Alright, the last few thousand miles it feels like my bike is shifting "sloppy" (the best way I can word it). It is almost like my clutch is not as fresh as it used to be. It's an 06 with 16,000 miles on it. I always change my oil on time, a coworker and I have adjusted the cable a few times, but still nothing seems to help. I am wondering if this loose or sloppy feel could be from the clutch cable, the springs, or maybe even the clutch wearing out, even though it seems a little early on to have clutch issues. Any advice would be appreciated and would like to hear if some of you SV guys have had any similar issues.
It probably just needs the clutch rod adjusted.
Bring it by and we'll do it while you wait, no charge.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement