MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

track while still making payments???

so i've been doing some thinking...

i really want to do a trackday but am really aprehensive since my bike is not paid off. (not to mention the lack of funds right about now) is this a bad idea? is there anyone out there in my same position who rides the track but is still making payments? or is it better NOT to take my main/only bike there and just be patient until it's paid for or i get another bike???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking over payments? Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-13-2013 05:17 PM
Making Track Bike Street Legal Q's jakeg How To's and Q & A's 1 12-22-2012 10:56 AM
Buying a bike someone is still making payments on. Mr F. General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 06-27-2012 03:03 PM
track ho in the making? Perf_White_GT General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-12-2010 06:50 PM
About Payments Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 07-02-2008 03:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

just buy some race plastics u can find them pretty cheap
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

i dont think its a bad idea, some insurance companies will cover it if you go down at the track, because its considered a driving school i think??????
I know a guy who's insurance covered his spill.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

just use your head like you do on the skreets and youll be fine.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Just take it easy. Both my bikes r paid for, but I am hella faster on the cheaper R6.

Someone needs to chime in on your bike height. I dont know enuf too, but ur bike is slammed. I dont know how that would do.

But, you can ride novice and just cruise around while still working on the fundamentals.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Check with your insurance if it will be covered. I had my underwriter for my account tell me it was covered and she actually signed something on my file saying she had told me I would be since it was still a slippery slope. If you're covered, go for it!
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Just take it easy. Both my bikes r paid for, but I am hella faster on the cheaper R6.

Someone needs to chime in on your bike height. I dont know enuf too, but ur bike is slammed. I dont know how that would do.

But, you can ride novice and just cruise around while still working on the fundamentals.
yeah i thought about that too...Caligonetx has offered to help me raise it up a notch to see if i can handle it and how it feels so we'll see.

anyone know how to make me taller
Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Warpbender
warped and bent

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

Just rent a bike from Pete @ www.texastrackbikes.com

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Hit the track pipe with a level head and you won't regret a thing. Don't wreck either.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
JSC_SLP
Rider

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'05 Repsol
'04 GSXR 600 (track)
'05 SV1000S (sold)

My insurance promised me they would cover the bike in the event of a wreck during a trackbased motorcycle school, but they (Progressive) wanted to have something in writing stating the Rules and Restrictions for the day e.g., no passing in turns, etc.

I checked with State Farm to get another opinion and they said they would cover me as well and didn't give me the uncertainty Progressive did.

I am paying on my bike and rode track the first time recently. I wouldn't suggest riding the track on your current bike in the your particular case. I didn't feel I was riding over my limit, but in a moment of unfocus, I blew my line and had to go off the track. It definately reminded me what could happen in a second if you're not TOTALLY focused and attentive to what you're doing.

I plan to buy a cheaper track only bike at some point.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

I'm still making payments on mine and I ride her on the track!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
full coverage?
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I still have payments on the busa and u've seen how its ridden(and damage from the wreck)

U have a very controlled form and I wouldn't imagine you going beyond your abilities. If u r interested, we can go do a parade lap somewhere at a comfortable speed and see how you feel with that. If you are inspired, raise or change your FULL coverage insurance to a provider that would repair for damage at a riding school.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

As mentioned have good insurance and don't ride over your head. Also, make sure your not upside down (marketvalue vs. What you owe)
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

ok. thanks everyone for posting. it helps to know i'm not the only one in this position

And Cali, yes i think i'd like to run a parade lap next time to get a feel for an actual track before i go and spend all my $$$$
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
anyone know how to make me taller
I can make you taller .. that will be 50,000,000 an inch... now how do you plan on making these payments
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

I think track is important, it has helped me improve so much! ( i still have a long way to go).

I say get out there now, learn some form and technique etc. Push yourself, but not past your limits, be hungry to learn and listen and trust your instructor. you wont wreck if your careful and not pushing it past what your comfortable with!

That way...when its paid off, you have a little education under your belt...and then you can start pushing it more, cuz you have no payments left! Also atleast try ONE day. You will learn way more then you EVER have on the streets, and u can take your new knowledge to go play with on the streets and get more practice until you are close to or paid off on ur bike.

just my opinion!!

and ps
if your interested, a couple of girls and i are planning on doing aug 2nd or 3rd at Msrh!! Come out and play with us
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

There are some things you can do to make your bike more comfortable for your height. 1. Shave an inch off your seat, or custom make a pad just for the track. It is very inexpensive, and easy to do. I can get you step by step instructions upon request. 2. Wear some thicker soled boots. 3. Adjust suspension height, but not use the lowering links i.e. raising/lowering trees and rear spring.

Take all the air out of your tires... Wait no. Don't do that.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I think track is important, it has helped me improve so much! ( i still have a long way to go).

I say get out there now, learn some form and technique etc. Push yourself, but not past your limits, be hungry to learn and listen and trust your instructor. you wont wreck if your careful and not pushing it past what your comfortable with!

That way...when its paid off, you have a little education under your belt...and then you can start pushing it more, cuz you have no payments left! Also atleast try ONE day. You will learn way more then you EVER have on the streets, and u can take your new knowledge to go play with on the streets and get more practice until you are close to or paid off on ur bike.

just my opinion!!

and ps
if your interested, a couple of girls and i are planning on doing aug 2nd or 3rd at Msrh!! Come out and play with us
sweet! i actually volunteered for cornerwork on the 3rd so hopefully godzuki will hook a sista up! if nothing else, i'll get a close up look at how things run out there and how i should prepare. i'm thinking that sometime in september will be good for me - just want to make sure my ducks are in a row as far as the money/gear/insurance, ect. goes.

right now if i went down - even with full coverage ins., i'd be upside down if the bike got totaled or something so i'm trying to work as much OT this summer as possible to get the balance down.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
sweet! i actually volunteered for cornerwork on the 3rd so hopefully godzuki will hook a sista up! if nothing else, i'll get a close up look at how things run out there and how i should prepare. i'm thinking that sometime in september will be good for me - just want to make sure my ducks are in a row as far as the money/gear/insurance, ect. goes.

right now if i went down - even with full coverage ins., i'd be upside down if the bike got totaled or something so i'm trying to work as much OT this summer as possible to get the balance down.
hey, i totally understand girl! And i cant wait to see you out there!!

If you need any help with ANYTHING...let me know! I kinda got the track routine thing down now from a newbies persective. Im still new enough to know how ya feel and what you might be nervous/anxious about, but old enough to help ya with a couple tips that helped me make my track days run smoother! If ya need ANYTHING dont hesitate to ask. And if i dont know an answer, I know someone that will!

Advertisement