MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

How to reverse gearing

Hi pros, I have heard many recommendations to reverse the gearing on my bike. To be clear what I am calling "reverse" would mean that in order to down shift one would need to pull up on the shifter and to up shift one would push down on the shifter, essentially reverse order the shift pattern.

How does one go about doing this? Is it something I could get done before the weekend? aka TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Saturday?

I should add that I am extremely mechanical and have tons of experience and tools working on cars. See my corvette restoration project (http://web.mac.com/timmetim). However, I have NO, zero, none experience working on motorcycles and actually know very little about the components. That being said, I can figure anything out but I want to know what I am getting into before I start. Especially since I want to do it before this weekend.

Any help / advise would be greatly appreciated. Any how-to's on the web that work would be awesome! For reference this is for my 08 Triumph 675 Thanks in advance!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have reverse phone look up???? flip326 Off Topic 5 11-16-2010 07:53 PM
reverse # look up, that works? ScooterTrash Off Topic 20 06-24-2010 01:46 PM
reverse trike Sabatech General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-10-2008 04:12 PM
Reverse phone # look up.... dbuck Off Topic 4 06-17-2008 02:12 PM
REVERSE IMIGRATION FastLine Off Topic 29 04-07-2006 07:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

this is known as "GP Shift" some people use is and some don't. i guess its personal preference. If i were you, i wouldn't do it before a track day with out test riding like this for a while to get used to the change. if you aren't on your game, you'll be shifting in the wrong direction which COULD lead to a nice little highside or something a little less violent.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
Hi pros, I have heard many recommendations to reverse the gearing on my bike. To be clear what I am calling "reverse" would mean that in order to down shift one would need to pull up on the shifter and to up shift one would push down on the shifter, essentially reverse order the shift pattern.

How does one go about doing this? Is it something I could get done before the weekend? aka TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Saturday?

I should add that I am extremely mechanical and have tons of experience and tools working on cars. See my corvette restoration project (http://web.mac.com/timmetim). However, I have NO, zero, none experience working on motorcycles and actually know very little about the components. That being said, I can figure anything out but I want to know what I am getting into before I start. Especially since I want to do it before this weekend.

Any help / advise would be greatly appreciated. Any how-to's on the web that work would be awesome! For reference this is for my 08 Triumph 675 Thanks in advance!

the people who are telling u this arent even what id call fast riders. i have raced both ways. "street" & "gp/reverse" shift. i prefer the standard street shift. this BS about upshifting while cranked over in the corners is a bunch of . if u have to shift in the middle of a corner... u are an idiot and dont know how to utilize gearing or gear selection.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

check this out see if it helps

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...light=gp+shift

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
the people who are telling u this arent even what id call fast riders. i have raced both ways. "street" & "gp/reverse" shift. i prefer the standard street shift. this BS about upshifting while cranked over in the corners is a bunch of . if u have to shift in the middle of a corner... u are an idiot and dont know how to utilize gearing or gear selection.
I love this guy!

In the end, as James said, it all come down to personal preference.

I prefer standard as do many other racers, including some top AMA, WSBK and MotoGP guys.

On the other hand, there's almost as many people who like GP shifting.

I do agree with Jody though, I typically don't recommend shifting while cranked over in the middle of a corner.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
I hear you bro. I just assumed that everyone used the 'gp shift'... wow, I have so much to learn! How in the do you weed through all of the bull?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
I hear you bro. I just assumed that everyone used the 'gp shift'... wow, I have so much to learn! How in the do you weed through all of the bull?
take what you get off here as "suggestions" and ask patrick questions

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I love this guy!

In the end, as James said, it all come down to personal preference.

I prefer standard as do many other racers, including some top AMA, WSBK and MotoGP guys.

On the other hand, there's almost as many people who like GP shifting.

I do agree with Jody though, I typically don't recommend shifting while cranked over in the middle of a corner.
Hey bro, I need to hook up with you for some stuff on my bike! I talked to someone at Motorcycles Unlimited yesterday but he hung up on me

You got time today to find me a slipper clutch and some platics?

I have never shifted while exiting a corner, not leaned over anyway. I thought that was a bad thing?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

One of my guys hung up on you?
Doubtful. Maybe got disconnected?

Anyhow, give us a call this morning when we open and ask to speak to myself or Brandon.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Hey bro, I need to hook up with you for some stuff on my bike! I talked to someone at Motorcycles Unlimited yesterday but he hung up on me

You got time today to find me a slipper clutch and some platics?

I have never shifted while exiting a corner, not leaned over anyway. I thought that was a bad thing?
you must have been talking to Gabrielle
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
One of my guys hung up on you?
Doubtful. Maybe got disconnected?

Anyhow, give us a call this morning when we open and ask to speak to myself or Brandon.
No no no, he didn't hang up on me! Sorry, I said that wrong , the fax machine came over the line and then I got disconnected. I don't remember his name (maybe Brandon) but he was really cool. I had a meeting I had to run to or I would have called right back. Yeah I didn't mean to imply your peeps hung up on me... I have heard nothing but good things about you guys!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Man, Jody, picture trying to get size 14 boots under the shift lever between apex and track out while beginning to stand the bike back up. Happens to me pretty frequently and it's DEFINITELY easier to push down to shift instead of wriggling my big ol' boot under the shifter.

You have a point with gearing, but how many normal folks re-gear for every track? There always seems to be at least one corner where the gearing is not optimal. Hard to believe you can get the gearing right absolutely everywhere; isn't the top priority to ensure your at redline in top gear at the end of the longest straight?

Combined with a quick shifter from that company you hate, the shifts at WOT and very high RPM are smooth as glass. I love it and even without a quick shifter, I'd be running GP shift.

-Curt
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i use GP shift. I liked it better at the dragstrip. there were acouple of times i missed second on hard launches, since i went to GP shift, it hasn't happened
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Man, Jody, picture trying to get size 14 boots under the shift lever between apex and track out while beginning to stand the bike back up. Happens to me pretty frequently and it's DEFINITELY easier to push down to shift instead of wriggling my big ol' boot under the shifter.

You have a point with gearing, but how many normal folks re-gear for every track? There always seems to be at least one corner where the gearing is not optimal. Hard to believe you can get the gearing right absolutely everywhere; isn't the top priority to ensure your at redline in top gear at the end of the longest straight?

Combined with a quick shifter from that company you hate, the shifts at WOT and very high RPM are smooth as glass. I love it and even without a quick shifter, I'd be running GP shift.

-Curt

if u are grabbing shifts while that leaned over on a 1000. u are goin thru the corner in too high of a gear curt. use the torque bro. go thru those corners a gear higher. dont ride it like a 600. trust me on this. a 12 time WERA national champion taught me how to ride a big bore. i think he probably knows what he's talkin about
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
maxgs

Member Garage

I can see your point, I do run at the top of the RPM band most all the time. I'll try it this weekend. You coming out?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I can see your point, I do run at the top of the RPM band most all the time. I'll try it this weekend. You coming out?
PM sent to ya....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
thecrow

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2003 R6

Quote:
Hi pros, I have heard many recommendations to reverse the gearing on my bike.

Like the others have been saying it is a personal preference on which shift pattern you chose. I have GP. BUT I WOULD NOT CHANGE THIS BEFORE A TRACKDAY.

To do this change it can be quite easy. I have a 2003 R6 and it take me about 10 minutes. I don't know how the Triumph is set up but theoretically your need to flip the shift arm 180 degrees so when you shift the shifter shaft that goes into the gearbox will spin in the opposite direction giving the gearing opposite shift pattern. Most of the time to do this you need a longer shift rod to reach the shift arm. If you have bought aftermarket rearsets most of the time they will send two shift rods; one for standard shifting and one for gp. Trust me it sound more complicated then it is. Really all it is disconnect the shift rod, flip the arm over and reconnect the shift rod (or a new longer one).

I hope this helped.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
I agree completely. I prefer regular as opposed to gp. Just my .02

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
gotta call BS on that
you don't gear for a corner, you gear for a lap and whilst you may not want to be changing mid corner sometimes it's inevitable and part of comprimising for a better lap time and that don't make you an idiot in my book.

GP or Traditional, all down to rider preference.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
federal20
up and comer

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2004 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2008 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2005 gsxr 600 streetfighter stunted (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to federal20
iv had my bike set up with gp shiftin for almost 3 years now. i love it like brett said at the dragstrip iv never missed a shift, also for stunting of u want to stand it up thru the gears its much easier to push down on the shifter than to try and pull up on it!

Advertisement