Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650
'02 Honda CBR600 F4i (sold)

Flush Mount Install Question

Okay guys, I need your expert advice. I bought some flush mount turn signals off ebay a couple weeks ago, and i'm wanting to install them. I've run into a snag though.

My old turn signals have 3 wires. 2 go to one connector, and then a single wire goes to a second connector. Well, the new flush mounts only have 2 wires going to 1 connector. Now I've figured out that I'm gonna lose my running lights. my question is...

... is the single wire the running light? If so, I can just clip and dead end that one? then how do I tell which way to splice the new connectors. lol I'm a newb when it comes to auto/bike electronics.

I'm going to use one side as an example. I've got one connector, with an O and O/W wire, and the second connector has just a green wire. The new flush mount light has a Black and a Yellow wire. any ideas which solders to which?

I have the wiring diagram from the service manual, but I can't make heads nor tails of it. lol

Thanks for any help!
TattooLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flush mount turn signals? R6 Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-25-2012 10:36 AM
flush mount front blinkers blends General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-15-2009 08:35 PM
flush mount front turn signals? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-12-2009 01:06 PM
Suggested flush mount signals ? Robopath General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 08-24-2005 01:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

try this

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ht=turn+signal

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Well, I know I'll lose my running lights. I'm fine with that. These are LED signals, so I can't swap out for different bulbs or anything.

I just want to figure out which wires to splice together so that I can have turn signals. =(
Old 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

you should note that being LED your blinker rate may change because your new blinkers won't load the system as much as the old ones
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

http://www.customdynamics.com/eclipze_module.htm

those will allow you to retain running lights, even with led blinkers.
running lights=lights on
blinker=flashing on/off

but you'll also probably want to get a load equalizer

as far as wire colors, i don't know what to tell you, except that you might try and do a continuity test with the O and O/W and the frame to see which is ground.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Thanks guys. yeah, I know they'll blink faster, not too worried about that as long as they blink. I'm figuring faster blinkers might actually help visibility a bit, at least at night. I hand signal most of the time anyway on top of using the signals.

heading out to the shop to find my multi-meter. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Go but a test light - any auto parts store will have one. They look like an ice pick with a screw driver handle that has a wire coming out of it. The wire will be about 3 feet long and will have an alligator clip on the end of the wire. Test the light on your car battery before you leave the parts house by hooking up the alligator clip to the negative (black) side of your battery, then touch the pointed sharp end to the positve (red) side of your battery - the light in the handle should come on - if it doesn't go back in and get one that works.

When you get to your bike hook the alligator clip to a good ground (like an unpainted bolt on the frame), or better yet the ground side of your battery.

Look at the connections on the bike (the ones with 3 wires). Turn the key (ignition on)

With blinkers off carefully touch the pointed end of the test light onto each of the 3 connector pins of the left pigtail - 1 , and only 1 should light the test light - that is for the running light and will NOT be used - do the same for the right pigtail - should be the same color that lights the test light - it too is for the running light and will NOT be used.

Now turn on the left blinker and find the one that makes the test light blink -THIS ONE WILL be used on your new flush mount and is the HOT wire to the left blinker. Do the same for the right side. The 3rd wire on each side (the one that has never lighted the test light) - will be your ground and will go tho the other side of your new flushmounts.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote