MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
SiG239
Senior Member
 
SiG239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 399












Stator/Alternator Cover oil leak..

Sup all,

Recently found a small oil leak after removing the fairing. The foam on the fairing seemed to have absorbed some oil for awhile, also a very slow leak, a couple drops every 24hr or so. I have replaced the cover,OEM gasket, and torqued to 9ft/lb and also checked for cracks ect..this has not fixed the leak. Has anyone had any similar problem? Is RTV or something suppost to be used with the gasket?
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local shop to rewind moto stator aka alternator? urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-24-2013 10:14 PM
stator cover need4speed Performance and Modifications 6 08-25-2011 07:09 PM
Accel Alternator Stator And GENERATOR ?????? prettyboy69 How To's and Q & A's 11 03-04-2010 08:00 PM
Oil leaked out of my stator cover???? ohdang* How To's and Q & A's 9 04-03-2009 07:52 PM
alternator or stator problem? gixxa 123 How To's and Q & A's 16 10-02-2007 12:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona
 
Japawhat02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: P-land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,939

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona









you could try a little rtv, possibly warped ?
__________________
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas USA
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 7,375












I have replaced my cover before and never had a problem with it leaking dont know how many Pound feet I applied I dont have a torque wrench when you replaced the gasket did you inspect for any warpage? did you wipe it really good and clean? you certainly dont want to stip it but did you try to tighten a lil bit more to see if that works maybe to 9.5 or so?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa claire View Post
Busa club. why did you not mention that? that makes things all nice and peachy
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by SiG239 View Post
Sup all,

Recently found a small oil leak after removing the fairing. The foam on the fairing seemed to have absorbed some oil for awhile, also a very slow leak, a couple drops every 24hr or so. I have replaced the cover,OEM gasket, and torqued to 9ft/lb and also checked for cracks ect..this has not fixed the leak. Has anyone had any similar problem? Is RTV or something suppost to be used with the gasket?
the gasket should be fitted dry from memory.
if it's a new gasket and new cover, check the casing faces your butting up against.
make sure the old gasket has been completely removed and that there are no deposits on the receiving face.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
ROADandTRACK
Senior Member
 
ROADandTRACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antone
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list









Gotta use Yamabond or 1104 where the cases meet and around the rubber where the wires go in.
__________________
Have a beer w/ FEAR.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
SiG239
Senior Member
 
SiG239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 399












Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
I have replaced my cover before and never had a problem with it leaking dont know how many Pound feet I applied I dont have a torque wrench when you replaced the gasket did you inspect for any warpage? did you wipe it really good and clean? you certainly dont want to stip it but did you try to tighten a lil bit more to see if that works maybe to 9.5 or so?
yeah gave that a try also, took it to 10 ft/lbs.

Quote:
the gasket should be fitted dry from memory.
if it's a new gasket and new cover, check the casing faces your butting up against.
make sure the old gasket has been completely removed and that there are no deposits on the receiving face.
going to pick up another gasket today and will give that a try, all the old gasket material was removed however not sure if the case surface was dry.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia
 
SPHINX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 992


Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S








Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
I recently replaced my OEM stator cover for a woodcraft, the manual did specify that one needs to apply some silicone sealant along the gasket and at some contact points between the cover and the rest of the engine.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy