Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #41
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

1. Full coverage insurance...it will be dumped
2. Race body work...it will be dumped
3. Frame sliders...yep...dumped
4. Have your suspension tuned by a pro for your weight/style
5. Brake pads
6. stands, warmers, tires (purchase all at the same time)
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Upgrade :) ST675 Performance and Modifications 8 10-27-2014 08:41 AM
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
Upgrade/New Bike 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-08-2011 07:44 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #42
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

First of all - I have a 675 and am somewhat in the same boat.

You don't need tires, the Pirellis are sweeet dot legal track tires. It is recommended to use warmers on them, however.

1.) Get your suspension set up for you. Write down what settings you have, and keep a journal of any changes made, and how it felt.
2.) Get tire warmers and stands. They help increase the longetivity of those expensive tires.
3.) Get race plastics, especially if you plan on riding it hard enough to possibly drop the bike.
4.) Get spare parts and frame sliders (cut sliders like Woodcraft)/case savers (mount to swingarm pivot like MotoGSG).
5.) Don't worry about brake pads. The fastest guy racing a D675 in Europe runs factory pads.

Remember, this bike is a street legal race bike. It's got some very nice, quality parts on it. Also, the brake squal is normal once the pads get bedded.

I'm 145 lbs without gear, and the front end was too stiff for my liking, however the rear end was very close to being set up for my weight. Have someone that knows what they're talking about check your tires and tire pressure at the end of each session to help read your suspension and tires.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #43
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
First of all - I have a 675 and am somewhat in the same boat.

You don't need tires, the Pirellis are sweeet dot legal track tires. It is recommended to use warmers on them, however.

1.) Get your suspension set up for you. Write down what settings you have, and keep a journal of any changes made, and how it felt.
2.) Get tire warmers and stands. They help increase the longetivity of those expensive tires.
3.) Get race plastics, especially if you plan on riding it hard enough to possibly drop the bike.
4.) Get spare parts and frame sliders (cut sliders like Woodcraft)/case savers (mount to swingarm pivot like MotoGSG).
5.) Don't worry about brake pads. The fastest guy racing a D675 in Europe runs factory pads.

Remember, this bike is a street legal race bike. It's got some very nice, quality parts on it. Also, the brake squal is normal once the pads get bedded.

I'm 145 lbs without gear, and the front end was too stiff for my liking, however the rear end was very close to being set up for my weight. Have someone that knows what they're talking about check your tires and tire pressure at the end of each session to help read your suspension and tires.
Awesome, so where did you get your plastics? I checked out hotbodies, but didn't see any other options.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #44
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
ok i get it. As a car fanatic and now a bike fanatic I am all about the upgrades. I totally get that I am no where near my bikes limit and I can't ride past what it can do. I doubt many people can do that anyway, regardless if they ever upgrade their bike!

I just thought there would be some no-brainer upgrades I could invest in that would make my learning a little easier.

I like the school idea, pretty expensive but I am not too worried about cash. I have more cash than brains but I want to invest in the correct things or as I said earlier the most bang for my buck.

Sounds like brake pads (I have stainless lines), and body work are a good start.

What about a slipper clutch? My bike doesn't have one, that would help with being smooth as someone mentioned above. Is that a good investment to make early on? I personally think that is a must have but I am doing fine without it (well define fine)

Thanks for the advise peps! As usual you people are great!
I am in the process of building me a track hoe! I got me a slipper clutch, ss brake lines, upgraded brake pads, full track body work, engine covers. Before I laided her down I already had a slip on and pazzo's! I am still on the fence about vortex rear sets!

Out of all that stuff I am most excited about the slipper clutch!

Good luck on your quest!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #45
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
I am in the process of building me a track hoe! I got me a slipper clutch, ss brake lines, upgraded brake pads, full track body work, engine covers. Before I laided her down I already had a slip on and pazzo's! I am still on the fence about vortex rear sets!

Good luck on your quest!
Sweet, so you getting the Honda ready again? How is the collar bone healing?

Thanks for the advice! I am gonna start with body work and a slipper clutch I think!

Timme'
Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #46
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:

Good luck on your quest!
wuddup Candie. Vortex is cheap throw away . i like the stock stuff best. are u having clearance issues or just want sum bling ?
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #47
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
wuddup Candie. Vortex is cheap throw away . i like the stock stuff best. are u having clearance issues or just want sum bling ?
I disagree. Never had my foot slip on a vortex peg. Ever. Slipped a lot on the stock gixxer rear sets. And the additional adjustability was good for the big man.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #48
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I disagree. Never had my foot slip on a vortex peg. Ever. Slipped a lot on the stock gixxer rear sets. And the additional adjustability was good for the big man.
i never said ud slip off of them... knows u wont on them razorsharp i was refering to the craftsmanship and the design quality. go check out sum SATOS or ARATA rearsets, then tell me vortex isnt cheap throw away junk
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #49
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Hola Jody! I actuallly like stock rearset myself but when Bubby rides it he has clearence problems !

More than likely I will stick with stock! I have never had a problem and they are pretty cheap to replace and that is a plus!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #50
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! I am gonna start with body work and a slipper clutch I think!

Timme'
It is healing! Not nearly as fast as I would like for it to, but I guess I can't complain! Thanks for asking!

And yep I get working on geting the Honda up and running again!( well I should say Motorcycles Unlimited is)
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #51
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:

Timme'
The slipper clutch could wait IMO. Bodywork, tires, suspension
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #52
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
It is healing! Not nearly as fast as I would like for it to, but I guess I can't complain! Thanks for asking!

And yep I get working on geting the Honda up and running again!( well I should say Motorcycles Unlimited is)
Milk it does your body good.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #53
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Milk it does your body good.
That and someone told me lots of protein! I finally get my stitches out Weds., but I am still not allowed you use it at all! I am bored and just ready to be active again!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #54
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
i never said ud slip off of them... knows u wont on them razorsharp i was refering to the craftsmanship and the design quality. go check out sum SATOS or ARATA rearsets, then tell me vortex isnt cheap throw away junk
Yessir.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #55
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:

Good luck on your quest!
Quote:

Timme'
Cheap that I am, I worked around the need for a $lipper clutch by braking like a , downshifting later and bliiping (still, it would be nice).
Pazzo levers are $weet but will they snap in a lowside like my stockers? Mine seem to break if I look at them funny (or drop the bike) and I'm pretty sure I've not let her go for the last time.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #56
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
Cheap that I am, I worked around the need for a $lipper clutch by braking like a , downshifting later and bliiping (still, it would be nice).
Pazzo levers are $weet but will they snap in a lowside like my stockers? Mine seem to break if I look at them funny (or drop the bike) and I'm pretty sure I've not let her go for the last time.
I feel you, the breaking like a thing is what I am working on at the moment. Hard to make yourself brake late into a corner, then downshift (while bliiping)... lots to think about. How sweet would it be to just brake and downshift.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #57
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

If you have too much power and not enough skills you will have to wait longer before you can get back on the throttle in the corner.

HH Brake Pads, if you end up buying them. (Unless someone knows a better type.)

Candie - Also look at the Gilles rear sets. Billy and Tim went down A LOT at MSR and they are very durable. Their rear sets took some nasty spills and slides and kept together wonderfully. I love mine (I needed them since I am 6'3 and my knees were in my chest).
Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #58
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
HH Brake Pads, if you end up buying them. (Unless someone knows a better type.)
Vesrah Pads!

Advertisement