MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

What to upgrade first?

Aight folks, I am sure this is yet another noob question you hear all the time but here goes anyway.

What do I upgrade first? I have an 08 Triumph Daytona 675 (stock). Here is what is on my list, but guess what this is expensive!!!!

Exhaust (slip on / full system)
Body work (thinking to wait till i bust up what I have but I don't know)
Power Commander No brainer but first or when?
Tune boy (software for my bike's computer) Do I need this? If not how do i get maps on the bike for the upgraded exhaust?
Engine upgrade from Triumph (comes with a new cam, intake, etc... about 5k) I would think this is a ways off
Tires (slicks???? I don't ride on the street), If I do get slicks what compounds? Soft front medium rear? Brand?... I know that is a noob question, be gentle
Tire warmers I know these arn't expensive but do I really need them? I also know this is a debated question, I am gonna guess everyone will say no I don't need them yet.

Just to be clear, I know there are a thousand things to buy and upgrade but where is a logical place to start. What is the biggest bang for my buck so to speak? I am curious what others have done and how they got their bike from stock to full out track bike.

Thanks for the help!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Upgrade :) ST675 Performance and Modifications 8 10-27-2014 08:41 AM
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
Upgrade/New Bike 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-08-2011 07:44 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

In the order I would do it.

Tires>exhuast>power commander (with custom tune)>tire warmers>bodywork

I don't see why you need tune boy, if you got a power commander.

just my $.02

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
to me its

brakes, dampner, tires(thats kinda relitive to when your wear out your first set),airfilter, exhaust, powercommander

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

What to upgrade first?

the rider, trackdays & track schools.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

get the tuneboy instead of the PC its much better, for your bike.
+1 to mr. x
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Tires can wait you can run street tires and sill run great times wait till your Fast before you start buying track tires

Get the Body work 1st keep your street plastics bust up the race plastics if you ever decide to sell you can always make it street legal or you can sell your street plastics to finance your other stuff

maybe you should start with some aftermarket rear sets and some stomp grip 1st ... do a few track days then start on some of the bigger items
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Talk about a classic question, what to upgrade first....

My first track car was a Viper. First time at TWS (Texas World Speedway), I was running 2:15's or so. Proceeded to spend more money than you can imagine on engine, suspension and brakes. Got down to the low 2:00s.

Fast forward a few years, after I had much more driving experience. Last time in a stock viper in street tires, I ran a 1:58 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). So much for all the money on upgrades.

I suspect you will hear this over and over on the board, upgrade the rider first. Practice, practice, practice. I'm a strong believer in that opinion with a couple of caveats. You need to get your suspension set up for your body weight. If you've not spent the $25 to have MotoHouston set up your suspension, you definitely need to do that first. After having your suspension set up and running a good, hard track day, take the bike back to motohouston or a knowledgeable suspension guy and have them look at the tires. All these guys can tell you how to better adjust your suspension for your style of riding based on the tread wear. Also, do the tie wrap trick you see on most track bikes. Put a tie rap around the front fork so you can see how much of the fork travel you are using. If you are a big guy, like me (6'6" and 300 lbs), you'll see that you are bottoming the forks. This is good information for whomever you work with on your suspension. If you are more normal sized, count yourself lucky. If you are abby-normal, you'll need to think about a rear shock and fork cartridges.

If you get lucky, your stock suspension is going to work for you.

Other things that would be high on my priority list....

#1 racing brake pads - you gotta be able to stop the bike effectively and repeatedly with no fade....

#2 stainless steel brake lines... on the track the rubber brake lines heat up and give a little resulting in a soft brake lever....

#3 seriously consider going to GP shift on your bike. This reverses the shift pattern so you press down to shift from second to third, etc. This is a huge change for the track. Think about when you are accelerating out of a corner with the bike leaned over. It's so damned hard for me to get my foot under the lever to shift without disrupting the bike or dragging a toe. It's so much easier to lift off the gas for an instant and press the shift lever; no clutch required.

#4 and if you use your bike predominately at the track, some good tires - Bridgestone 002 Ride Smart (race and street).... Pirelli Corsa III's...

#5 stands for your bike and tire warmers. You'll get better tire wear if your heat your tires before you venture out, and decreasing the number of heat cycles (when the tire goes very hot and then back to atmospheric temperature) preserves tire wear. Before tire warmers, I was tearing the tires pretty severely.

#6 rear sets... maybe this could be even higher. New rear sets helped me get to a more comfortable riding position.

Note that I didn't prioritize anything to make the bike faster.... no power commander, no exhaust, none of it. My contention is that you could turn your bike over to somebody riding one level up from you at a track event and they would absolutely eclipse your fast lap time. Until you can narrow that gap with improved rider skill, your money is better spent on track days and the necessary bike maintenance - tires, brakes, oil, fluids, etc.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

For the money your thinking about spending I would def get tires, a damper, and brake pads.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

If you can swing it get a track membership.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I can also echo what some of the above have said.

I just got into some trackdays this year and have spent WAY too much on the bike, but partly as a part of the hobby for me, and very little due to actual "need."

I would focus most on just getting out there and getting some laps under your belt. If you're scared to possibly scratch up your stock bodywork, find some cheap used bodywork to throw on while ont he track.

I don't have the qualifications that most these other guys and girls have, but if I was to do it all over again from a new bike I would go in the following order.

1- First few trackdays
2- Cheap track bodywork
3- 002 Ride Smart tires
4- Race brakepads
5- MANY more trackdays
6- Fork internals, rear shock upgrade
7- Steering Damper
8- Just ride the thing and enjoy it

If you start out-riding a certain area of the bike or tires for your riding style then look into updating or upgrading that area and get back out there to ride more.

Last edited by bdubb; 07-14-2008 at 09:21 AM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
rc51eviltwin

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

suspension>damper>tires>tire warmers(to get on the track with tires that are ready)>track instruction(1 on 1) once you find yourself wringing the throttle tube out of the turns,then worry about power adders.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
Aight folks, I am sure this is yet another noob question you hear all the time but here goes anyway.

What do I upgrade first? I have an 08 Triumph Daytona 675 (stock). Here is what is on my list, but guess what this is expensive!!!!

Exhaust (slip on / full system)
Body work (thinking to wait till i bust up what I have but I don't know)
Power Commander No brainer but first or when?
Tune boy (software for my bike's computer) Do I need this? If not how do i get maps on the bike for the upgraded exhaust?
Engine upgrade from Triumph (comes with a new cam, intake, etc... about 5k) I would think this is a ways off
Tires (slicks???? I don't ride on the street), If I do get slicks what compounds? Soft front medium rear? Brand?... I know that is a noob question, be gentle
Tire warmers I know these arn't expensive but do I really need them? I also know this is a debated question, I am gonna guess everyone will say no I don't need them yet.

Just to be clear, I know there are a thousand things to buy and upgrade but where is a logical place to start. What is the biggest bang for my buck so to speak? I am curious what others have done and how they got their bike from stock to full out track bike.

Thanks for the help!

POWER COMMANDERS ARE
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
POWER COMMANDERS ARE
Ha ha ha ha. Why is that, Jody?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

with the amount of bikes being stolen these days I would reccomend lowjack.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ha ha ha ha. Why is that, Jody?
because under race conditions they burn up (get fried) and they dont warranty them. so i say FUKK power commanders ! over the past 5 years ive had 4 go out on me. in club racing, i can ride around the measily 3 hp gain you can acheive with one. its just another link in the electronics to go bad and ruin ur race
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

I would say tires,brakes(pads and braided lines),dampner,exhaust.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
diggler

Suspension. If you are going to do anything to your bike do the suspension first.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
level5
moving chicane

Upgrade the riders to at least 6 trackdays then spare wheels to have dedicated track tires and warmers then dampeners if you don't have have one. When you have cash laying around then you can upgrade to race bodyworks. When you want more power, upgrade to sprockets. When you are fast enough then you upgrade your brakes, suspensions and exhaust/pc.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
because under race conditions they burn up (get fried) and they dont warranty them. so i say FUKK power commanders ! over the past 5 years ive had 4 go out on me. in club racing, i can ride around the measily 3 hp gain you can acheive with one. its just another link in the electronics to go bad and ruin ur race
I’m no big fan of them either. Had one on my new Concours 14. after a few months it started missing intermittently and the eng stumbled coming up from zero or low throttle settings. I thought it was going to be in the shop forever and repeatedly for troubleshooting. Took it in and when I told them there was a PC3 installed they wouldn’t take it. Said remove the thing and come back if you still have trouble. I did and I haven’t.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I say brakes(good pads and steel lines), dampner, tires, warmers then eventually suspension. I think the exhaust is WAY overrated and should be delt with last.

Of course first a bunch of money to trackdays.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

1)race bodywork
2)track tyres
3)front braided hoses
and the rest on trackdays
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote