MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #41
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
oh u cracked a funny one. look... im with ya bro. everybody should get free ! but welcome to reality BB. it aint like that and probably aint gonna be any time soon.

You folks can argue all day long back and forth on this, but for a noob, it is pretty cut and dry. Sponsors (aka companies that you would like to give you money) care about one thing and one thing only, ROI (return on investment). Having co-founded and sold a couple software companies myself, I know a little about this business stuff. I don't know a thing about racing a motorcycle but this discussion has branched into somthing I do know about!

If I thought I could sell more software buy putting my companies name on a motorcycle, guess what, I want the fastest out there! Why? It is pretty simple, the most attention in a competitive environment goes to the guys/gals that win, end of story! NO one wants there companies name on the guy pulling up the rear of the pack! I wouldn't give 10k to a guy that is not going to race, I would seriously consider giving it to a guy that placed in the top 5 in 90% of the races he participated in (that may not be realistic but you know what I mean, a contender)

I totally get the TD thing and why sponsorship sounds right in that environment. You have elements of the consumer population that would benifit from some products that would qualify companies to sponsor. However, consider the really big sponsors of AMA, Red Bull comes to mind. How many people would you reach for a 10k investment in a guy that rides TD's only? 100 maybe 200 a weekend. What about a guy that races at every CMRA event? What about AMA? Where would you put your money, and what return on that investment would you expect? Sponsor money isn't throw away cash to these companies, it is advertising. Just like buying radio time for a resturant, or a billboard. A return is expected, hopefully over 100% of what you invested. Measuring that is another story entirely, we will forgo that exercise. Companies that sponsor go for the bigest bang for the least amount of investment. Just like any other business.

I do think that clubs should get discounts on certain product that apply to TD's. Tires, chains, oil, etc these are all very logical and one would think the companies that sell them would market to TD groups or clubs and provide discounts. I guess some do as someone has mentioned.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone on this forum, but racing is where companies invest. I would bet they only want top competitors or up and coming stars. It is where my money would be, they are the biggest billboards!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PM Sent - Secure Info Lee-RR Moto Insurance 3 07-26-2012 03:05 PM
How to ask for sponsorships? ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 13 11-10-2011 03:05 PM
our borders are secure... texlurch Off Topic 0 10-21-2009 06:51 AM
How do you secure your bike? mswistak14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 07-13-2005 11:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #42
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
guys he said he will be racing by next season. he's trying to figure out how to start getting sponsors. he's just getting his ducks in a row right now.

thank you man. you hit the nail on the head. despite what anybody says i was just curious. im not trying to submit resumes and start talking to companies. i was really just curious how i would even begin to start looking. it seems some people on here just dont even want to help or give advice. jody if youve been racing for that many years then i would at least expect you to have some better knowledge than just telling me what i already know, that being that you have to actually start racing and having results to start looking for sponsors. i mean honestly, i have to at least say thank you to the guys who gave some good advice or pointers. but racing for as long as you have and as much experience you have, i would think you would like to help people instead of well....not helping. but thanks again for all the responses.
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #43
hfa3g11
OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
UH HUH...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT THEORY PAL and who is seeing him do well ? and what is your definition of well ? cause the guy thats asking about sponsorship on here... i lapped him every 5 laps @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) and i dont feel i should be sponsored for that !
are you referring to me? with 15yrs of experience , i have an almost completely stock bike with 2yrs of trackdays. lol. i would hope 15yrs would do something for you. lol
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #44
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3g11 View Post
are you referring to me? with 15yrs of experience , i have an almost completely stock bike with 2yrs of trackdays. lol. i would hope 15yrs would do something for you. lol
nevermind. i was makin a point to the other guy.... u obviosly didnt catch that. good luck with ur sponsor search.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #45
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3g11 View Post
thank you man. you hit the nail on the head. despite what anybody says i was just curious. im not trying to submit resumes and start talking to companies. i was really just curious how i would even begin to start looking. it seems some people on here just dont even want to help or give advice. jody if youve been racing for that many years then i would at least expect you to have some better knowledge than just telling me what i already know, that being that you have to actually start racing and having results to start looking for sponsors. i mean honestly, i have to at least say thank you to the guys who gave some good advice or pointers. but racing for as long as you have and as much experience you have, i would think you would like to help people instead of well....not helping. but thanks again for all the responses.
I tried to help and I'll say it again incase you missed it the first time,

Quote:
Involve as many friends and family as you can when you go racing.
Sponsorship at grass roots level is more about who you know than it is what you can do/deliver.
Spending a day at the track during a race meet can be pretty exciting to those that have never been before.
Get them involved, make them feel a part of it.
get your SO to lay on some catering, it doesn't have to be expensive and everyone loves a great day out.
you only need Aunt Daisy's boss to say, "you know what, i'd love to see my name on that bike, or how much do you think you'd need to make you're bike more competative".
network, network and network somemore.
Unless you are a front runner this is realistically the only way to source more funds.

DON'T cover your race bike in stickers because you think it looks cool.
Run plain white fairing with your number, it needs to be shouting out for sponsorship.
If the tyre guy, brake pads guy helps you/looks after you, show you appreciate it by getting his name on the bike but keep the main areas free for the "big one" .
If Uncle Jim gives you some dollar towards a tire, get him a print of the bike in action and a thankyou.

I could go on and on........................
good luck anyways
and if you are lucky enough to get sponsors/helpers on board, look after and appreciate them.
I've seen a few racers over the years so desperate to attract new sponsors that they totally neglect and take for granted the ones they already have and more often than not end up losing them too
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #46
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

and if you are lucky enough to get sponsors/helpers on board, look after and appreciate them.
I've seen a few racers over the years so desperate to attract new sponsors that they totally neglect and take for granted the ones they already have and more often than not end up losing them too

Good one Mike!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
+2

Here's my take, I have a bit of experience here too managing/ owning an endurance effort. Back when I sprinted, rider support or sponsorship was even harder to come by! Endurance racing is a lot cheaper than sprints, and end of the season podiums are a lot more attainable through attrition- padding the resume' so to speak.

Lean on some folks that are willing participants and refer as many folks to them as possible to show good faith. Most of the "target audience" is not going to be at the track or on the track with you- that is a rare target.

The folks that want to hear from you don't race or are new to racing. Think about who you hear about while you are new in this sport from other folks.

Here are some perfect examples:

Motorcycles Unlimited automatically gives discounts to MH peeps- start with them. Attend some track days, talk to your friends who ride and might start doing track days (they always ask the questions because now that you've attended a track day, you have more expertise than they do); when they ask the questions (like where did you get done), refer them to Motorcycles Unlimited and tell them to use your name so that Patrick or whomever they work with knows you sent them some business.

Lockhart Phillips gives profound discounts just for having a license! You can apply for their rider support program just as soon as you get a "real" license with one of their affiliates.

Additionally, there is a difference between "sponsorship" and "support", I don't know if you've caught on to that or not, and that's what some folks are posting back to you about. It's semantics really- it's all "sponsorship" of some sort really.

Sponsorship by and large is most widely defined as getting a paid ride, or a ride at no cost to you personally (where someone else is absorbing the costs).

Rider support is the freebies you may get from folks like a set of bodywork, engine work, discounts on parts, etc.

Concentrate on rider support, and try to avoid using the word "sponsorship" when dealing with those who are in the field.

Approach someone who sells race tires, to talk to him about next season and how many races you're committing to and in what series- it helps if this person is local. Make a considerable purchase (like buy 5 sets of tires) and likely that will yield your first discount (bulk purchases usually yield a discount).

Try this with other suppliers and see what happens. Talk them up to others, and make referrals- tell them to use your name when they go.

It takes some time, but like I said, there's some built-in discounts already out there just by being a member of MH.

Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #48
hfa3g11
OG

Hey Tom yea that really really did help a lot. Thanks for taking your time to help explain this to me. This is definitely going to help me at least have a better idea what ill be getting into. Thanks again.it makes a lot more sense now.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #49
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

As usual Tom you cut right to the point and said some really good stuff.

And your right also Timme' large companies, with large advertising budgets will no doubt lookat it this way. Now that Tom has explained the difference, what I meant was "support".
In the way of discounts and the occasional freebie, a smaller company,say a local shop, can get a return on their buck from a trackday rider in much the same way as if they were giving support to a racer.
Since the audience at a local race is similar to the audience at a T/D, if the rider is competent, experienced and willing to talk it up, the support givien could translate into service work, parts sales and even a bike sale from time to time. IMHO.

Grinchy you make some great points as well.

I would also like to take a moment to say thank you to Buck Beasley and LMS for giving me support last year. Those guys do a great job putting on a T/D that all levels of riders can enjoy. They always run smoothly and on time.
Thanks again, to everyone for their comments, anyone interested in support or even sponsorship can learn a lot from this thread
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 07-15-2008 at 04:15 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #50
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
+2

Here's my take, I have a bit of experience here too managing/ owning an endurance effort. Back when I sprinted, rider support or sponsorship was even harder to come by! Endurance racing is a lot cheaper than sprints, and end of the season podiums are a lot more attainable through attrition- padding the resume' so to speak.

Lean on some folks that are willing participants and refer as many folks to them as possible to show good faith. Most of the "target audience" is not going to be at the track or on the track with you- that is a rare target.

The folks that want to hear from you don't race or are new to racing. Think about who you hear about while you are new in this sport from other folks.

Here are some perfect examples:

Motorcycles Unlimited automatically gives discounts to MH peeps- start with them. Attend some track days, talk to your friends who ride and might start doing track days (they always ask the questions because now that you've attended a track day, you have more expertise than they do); when they ask the questions (like where did you get done), refer them to Motorcycles Unlimited and tell them to use your name so that Patrick or whomever they work with knows you sent them some business.

Lockhart Phillips gives profound discounts just for having a license! You can apply for their rider support program just as soon as you get a "real" license with one of their affiliates.

Additionally, there is a difference between "sponsorship" and "support", I don't know if you've caught on to that or not, and that's what some folks are posting back to you about. It's semantics really- it's all "sponsorship" of some sort really.

Sponsorship by and large is most widely defined as getting a paid ride, or a ride at no cost to you personally (where someone else is absorbing the costs).

Rider support is the freebies you may get from folks like a set of bodywork, engine work, discounts on parts, etc.

Concentrate on rider support, and try to avoid using the word "sponsorship" when dealing with those who are in the field.

Approach someone who sells race tires, to talk to him about next season and how many races you're committing to and in what series- it helps if this person is local. Make a considerable purchase (like buy 5 sets of tires) and likely that will yield your first discount (bulk purchases usually yield a discount).

Try this with other suppliers and see what happens. Talk them up to others, and make referrals- tell them to use your name when they go.

It takes some time, but like I said, there's some built-in discounts already out there just by being a member of MH.

Hope this helps
Sweet, very nicely put. I think the word "sponsor" is the gotcha, it gets people all whacked out for some reason. Support is a much better term for the average rider attending TD's and working their way into racing.

I think where most people get frustrated (some on this thread) is that noob's, like me, come in and start throwing the word sponsor around prematurely, not knowing it is a sensitive topic. It is an honest question and why not ask it here? Obviously it is a noob question, and I could see it getting folks annoyed. Oh well you can't win them all. Noob's are going to ask noob questions, end of story.

Your explanation and the respect is appreciated! Thanks bro!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #51
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

ALL of the Motohouston sponsors support us anyway. so it's best to check with them first for our needs.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #52
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
ALL of the Motohouston sponsors support us anyway. so it's best to check with them first for our needs.
+1
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #53
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Like everyone else say's, you provide the performance, they provide the parts....

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #54
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post

I think where most people get frustrated (some on this thread) is that noob's, like me, come in and start throwing the word sponsor around prematurely, not knowing it is a sensitive topic. It is an honest question and why not ask it here? Obviously it is a noob question, and I could see it getting folks annoyed. Oh well you can't win them all. Noob's are going to ask noob questions, end of story.
Well kinda, but not really. The thing is that some folks work pretty hard to get support from people in this sport, and for someone to come in and "want support" from businesses or whatever as a "noob" or track day junkie, it sounds unintentionally arrogant.

Lots of respected club racers and the like work hard to "deserve" to get supported by people who are willing to support them, and as you might imagine, there isn't a really long list of folks who want to spend advertising dollars (or whatever fund it comes from) on someone who's racing for a hobby- especially for someone doing track days as a hobby (with nothing to produce).

Racers at least get published in various ways- locally and nationally depending on what org you race with. CMRA gets some great coverage locally in the community and a bit nationally, WERA's National series gets great coverage nationally. Both of which get club racers noticed, especially when they do things like winning National events or recognition- like all of the CMRA racers who have won the Horizon Award over the years. End result for those folks are usually some sort of supported ride, and some times a full sponsorship (like CMRA alumnus Ben Spies who got a ride with Attack after winning the Horizon Award).

Personally, while I think it would be next to impossible to attain, I agree that those who do track days could be valuable people to give support to. However, their focus would be very small since the groups they would be working with are more concentrated and sporadic. A "sponsor" or "supporter" would have to know this going in to the deal, and would just have to be doing it out of the goodness of their heart since likely they will not see the ROI that a person supporting a successful racer would.

Sponsorship and support is not something that everyone gets, most race without any support other than a spouse or generous family. For the large amount of folks that race, obviously the amount of folks who are willing to part with hard earned dollars to help them are inversely proportional if not less!

Like James said above, start with the folks that already support us (MH community) and go from there. Be patient, eventually you'll make the connections that you need to get some help in the long run

Advertisement