MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #21
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3g11 View Post
besides actually having to be an active racer, how do you secure a sponsorship? ide like to at least start finding out ways to do this as by next year ide like to start racing and would like to be able to have somewhat of an understanding and a headstart. thanks
from what ive seen, i would say just make friends and connections with race vendors. ive seen fast dudes have a few sponsors because they are quiet and keep to themselves when the loudmouths have more free cuz they ask for it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PM Sent - Secure Info Lee-RR Moto Insurance 3 07-26-2012 03:05 PM
How to ask for sponsorships? ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 13 11-10-2011 03:05 PM
our borders are secure... texlurch Off Topic 0 10-21-2009 06:51 AM
How do you secure your bike? mswistak14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 07-13-2005 11:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #22
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
don't crash
Well, t... Where's the fun in that?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

As always I disagree about having to race to be sponsored.
Why wouldn't the sponsor benefit from helping out a trackday junkie?
There are still people seeing him do well, to listen to him sing the praises of the sponsor.
The same benfits are there, it's just a shift in mindset that is required.

Along those lines I have to say that as close to trackday sponsorship I ever got was from Patrick.
He has helped me with advice, answers to technical questions, discounts on parts and supplies, and in ways I'm not sure I can say.
Motorcycles Unlimited has been beary beary good to me.
Thanks
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
There are still people seeing him do well, to listen to him sing the praises of the sponsor.

Along those lines I have to say that as close to trackday sponsorship I ever got was from Patrick.
He has helped me with advice, answers to technical questions, discounts on parts and supplies, and in ways I'm not sure I can say.
Thanks
You know I feel the same way . In my opinion the guys and gals at the track that dish out good advise and help you out when you need it are who I would trust for products to purchase. While fast guys are awesome, abd we know sponsors likes to see their name on winning bikes! I think that the everyday person buys on reference from people and friends they trust, not so much on who whens a race.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:

Thanks
UH HUH...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT THEORY PAL and who is seeing him do well ? and what is your definition of well ? cause the guy thats asking about sponsorship on here... i lapped him every 5 laps @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) and i dont feel i should be sponsored for that !
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
You know I feel the same way . In my opinion the guys and gals at the track that dish out good advise and help you out when you need it are who I would trust for products to purchase. While fast guys are awesome, abd we know sponsors likes to see their name on winning bikes! I think that the everyday person buys on reference from people and friends they trust, not so much on who whens a race.
WOW, just WOW.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
WOW, just WOW.
i know... right
Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
It's all pretty much been said above...

I will say one thing though -

Initially the last thing you need to worry about is "Sponsors", that's a mistake I made with as a baby novice when I started last year. I would have probably done better (results wise & freedom of speech wise) if I had not gotten sponsorships last year and maybe now - when I can podium on a consistent basis and run in the front in my respective classes.

The other thing I'd suggest is take it small steps and stick with one organization at a time (for results/injuries/unneccessary risks stake).

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
WOW, just WOW.
What??? I don't get the problem with that statement.

Your telling me you buy Repsol just because Hayden wins a race? Or maybe you by an RK chain cause Rossi is sponsored by them. Or do you buy it because you know it is good? How do you know that? My bet is that either you tried it or one of the guys you know or trust says it's good? I for one could care less what a guy has on his tank and I put my faith in products based on other peoples experiences or by trial and error. I would prefer to let someone else have the problems and learn from their mistakes.

That being said the "they" is a bit of a challenge when your just getting introduced into a sport. How do you know who to trust when it comes to advice?

Are you really knocking me for this, cause it seems really logical to me?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #30
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

WOW!!!, that you think that even 1% of TD guys know what the they are talking about.

One thing that is strange compared to 10 years ago is that back then there were just maybe 10% of riders that really knew stuff. Nowadays everybody knows everything, and its WRONG!!! lol
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #31
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I'm a nice honest person.

Can somebody sponsor me $20.00?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
WOW!!!, that you think that even 1% of TD guys know what the they are talking about.

One thing that is strange compared to 10 years ago is that back then there were just maybe 10% of riders that really knew stuff. Nowadays everybody knows everything, and its WRONG!!! lol
Aight, I totally get what you are saying and I am on the same page with that! I don't trust just any jack that comes walking by, you would be an idiot to do that. There are some people that I do trust though! Starting out I am sure you and everyone else on this forum did too!

But as a noob today, how do you know who to trust? As you say everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right??? All I was suggesting is that if you know and trust someone at the track listen to them when it comes to products. Don't go buy somthing just because your favorite racer has it plastered all over their bike!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #33
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
I'm a nice honest person.

Can somebody sponsor me $20.00?
I got .50 to contribute... how nice are you?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #34
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
I got .50 to contribute... how nice are you?
He has a gun... give him the 20 or else
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
He has SEVERAL gunS... give him the 20 or else
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #36
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
UH HUH...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT THEORY PAL and who is seeing him do well ? and what is your definition of well ? cause the guy thats asking about sponsorship on here... i lapped him every 5 laps @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) and i dont feel i should be sponsored for that !
Thanks PAL, 'preciate the kind thought.

My definition of well, is someone who is experienced and respected. That knows how to communicate, not only riding techniques, but also how to work into casual conversation infor mation about products.
Someone who is knowledgeable about the hobby of trackday riding and is willing to share that knowledge.

The way I see it, there is a longstanding mindset that it's all about racing. That the reason people do T/Ds is because they want to race. That if you arent a racer then you don't belong on a track. That it's a sport that requires competition to see who is best/fastest.

I'm saying that T/Ds are a hobby. We don't all want to race. We don't all measure our success based on a lap timer or a $10 trophy. Some of us base success on learning a new line, or a getting better body position or helping someone new to the hobby overcome their fear and learn the joy of high performance riding.

If you cling to the idea that only racers should have sponsorship, let me ask a question.

Where is the audience? There are no crowds to see the sponsors outlay of cash.
Largely the same people are at the track on a T/D.

So, I say why not sponsor a trackday rider? He can talk up the product or service, display the name on his easyup or whatever a racer can do, to virtually the same group of folks and with LESS sponsorship since trackdays cost less than a full race schedule.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #37
jodyhudson

Quote:
Thanks PAL, 'preciate the kind thought.

My definition of well, is someone who is experienced and respected. That knows how to communicate, not only riding techniques, but also how to work into casual conversation infor mation about products.
Someone who is knowledgeable about the hobby of trackday riding and is willing to share that knowledge.

The way I see it, there is a longstanding mindset that it's all about racing. That the reason people do T/Ds is because they want to race. That if you arent a racer then you don't belong on a track. That it's a sport that requires competition to see who is best/fastest.

I'm saying that T/Ds are a hobby. We don't all want to race. We don't all measure our success based on a lap timer or a $10 trophy. Some of us base success on learning a new line, or a getting better body position or helping someone new to the hobby overcome their fear and learn the joy of high performance riding.

If you cling to the idea that only racers should have sponsorship, let me ask a question.

Where is the audience? There are no crowds to see the sponsors outlay of cash.
Largely the same people are at the track on a T/D.

So, I say why not sponsor a trackday rider? He can talk up the product or service, display the name on his easyup or whatever a racer can do, to virtually the same group of folks and with LESS sponsorship since trackdays cost less than a full race schedule.
yep. i do see the point ur trying to make & i agree with u to a certain degree. but in the real world it just doesnt work that way. trust me, ive been racing motorcycles for 15 years. sponsorship is very hard to come by, especially without any results to show for. Grinchy is right. ive had more friends & family sponsor my efforts than the dealers or manufacturers. right now i get help from South Central Race Center, Northwest Honda & LoneStar Trackdays. there are also others that help me here and there, but the bottom line is... u gotta pay to play just like everyone else. so buck up and spend the big bucks if u wanna race otherwise stick to trackdays. nobodys gonna give u for being a nice guy
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #38
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
1 way
a sponsor looks at you as his billboard. you have to stand out of the crowd for him to want to sponsor you.

other way
get a good job and sponsor yourself. saves you from having to kiss .
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #39
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
yep. i do see the point ur trying to make & i agree with u to a certain degree. but in the real world it just doesnt work that way. trust me, ive been racing motorcycles for 15 years. sponsorship is very hard to come by, especially without any results to show for. Grinchy is right. ive had more friends & family sponsor my efforts than the dealers or manufacturers. right now i get help from South Central Race Center, Northwest Honda & LoneStar Trackdays. there are also others that help me here and there, but the bottom line is... u gotta pay to play just like everyone else. so buck up and spend the big bucks if u wanna race otherwise stick to trackdays. nobodys gonna give u for being a nice guy
Well in the real world it COULD work that way.
I know sponsorship is hard to come by.
Nice job working your sponsors names into the discussion.
I don't wanna race, T/D's are big enough bucks to spend when you are looking at cars and college for the kids.
Finally your last statement is completely wrong, in spite of me being a nice guy, people give me all the time!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #40
jodyhudson

Quote:
Well in the real world it COULD work that way.
I know sponsorship is hard to come by.
Nice job working your sponsors names into the discussion.
I don't wanna race, T/D's are big enough bucks to spend when you are looking at cars and college for the kids.
Finally your last statement is completely wrong, in spite of me being a nice guy, people give me all the time!
oh u cracked a funny one. look... im with ya bro. everybody should get free ! but welcome to reality BB. it aint like that and probably aint gonna be any time soon.

Advertisement