Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

SV suspension question...

Does anybody know if I (250 lbs) would better off getting stiffer springs and emulators from racetech, or switching the front end with a GSXR? price is not really a factor, just want to know what other SV owners have done/heard. Not much on the subject at svrider.com
05 SV Suspension Upgrades Dumptruck Performance and Modifications 13 11-06-2012 11:11 AM
anybody need a SV suspension? track/race oriantated RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-07-2009 07:27 AM
setting up SV suspension YZFracer212 Taking it to the Track 16 11-25-2008 01:38 PM
sv question novacain How To's and Q & A's 8 08-29-2008 07:06 AM
SV question AliceInChains02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 02-01-2007 12:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

i wouls say switch too the gsxr im about to do the swap on my trumpet, you get the inverted forks and radial brakes. Im putting a front end off of a 06 1000.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

A stock SV front end with Racetech emulators and springs is a great little setup. Most recommend .95 springs for your weight, but Racetech has a calculator on their site to help you with that. Not to mention Patrick has done tons of SV front ends. He's a big proponent of keeping the stock SV front end and getting it RT'd and sprung.

Personally, I prefer the GSXR600 front end, and I think the '01-'03 is the best one there is. It's lighter than the inverted forks, just as adjustable, easy to find, and always a lot cheaper than the others.

IMHO, it's a waste to get a GSXR front end with radial brakes, and definitely stay away from the '04/5 GSXR radial master cylinder.

I've always sprung and had cartridge work done on the GSXR front ends I've had on my SV race bikes- it's soooooo good.

For the street and occasional track day bike, I'd just do the stock SV front end and be done with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Tobey

Bike(s):
SV650, Vulcan 500

I've never been on an SV with a GSXR front end, so I can't compare. I have Racetech springs and emulators on my '00 SV650. I weigh 210, and run a 1.0 spring and 20 wt oil. The heavier spring is mostly because I do a handful of track days each year and don't mind the extra little stiffness on the street. For a while, I ran 0.85 springs and 15 wt oil in an otherwise stock front end, and had a problem with it bottoming out on the track. When I did the stiffer springs, I also installed the emulators; night and day difference.

What are your plans for the rear shock? I run a stock Hayabusa shock. Again, night and day difference over the stock setup, and it's sprung stiffly enough for us bigger guys. It's not as good as a custom aftermarket job (the rumor is it lowers the ride height a little; but I was overworking the stock setup so bad, I had a net gain in height), but it's light years better than stock, and I only paid $45 for it.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

I was going to go zx-10 or busa shock on the rear, desperately trying to not lose any ride height though. I already added a 1" lift in the rear and would like to keep it elevated (higher than stock)
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
lococnc

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 Tuono
2004 919
2004 FJR1300
2011 CBR250R
2006 SV650N, 2007 SV650N, 2009 TTR-110, 2002 KTM 520 EXC, Sold

Go springs, oil and emulators. Only advantage GSXR has over this is the ease of adjustability.
lococnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

I didn't read all the previous posts, but remember even with a GSXR front end you are still going to need springs and oil to adjust for your weight.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
JSC_SLP
Rider

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'05 Repsol
'04 GSXR 600 (track)
'05 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
I didn't read all the previous posts, but remember even with a GSXR front end you are still going to need springs and oil to adjust for your weight.

+1 I weigh 215 and have swapped my front for a GSXR 750 front and under heavy braking I get to nearly bottom out on the front forks. I would recommend if you decide the GSXR forks are for you, that you get them sprung to your weight. If you're racing, get the internals as well from RaceTech. The GSXR radial brakes are TONS better than stock!! I woulda done the swap just for the braking improvement. I kept the SV master cylinder. For the street, the GSXR front is soo much better than the stock SV front. I wasn't able to get the sag set on the SV front, but was no problem on the GSXR front.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Swapping to a GSXR front end still won't spring or valve it for your weight, and it is heavier than the stock set up.

A properly set up stock front end with springs and emulators works VERY well.
Well enough to win more than a few SV class championships.

I done extensive work with SV's including a bunch of the with GSXR front ends. ( our '05 CMRA F2 Endurance championship winning bike had an '03 GSXr600 front end)

There are pros and cons to both, but IMO, for most riders / racers, a properly set up stock front end is hard to beat.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

okay. thanks guys. based on the majority here, everybody tends to say that the stock with extras is the best option, so I think thats what I'll go with.

Advertisement