MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
fidelitas88

Feedback Rating: (0)

Dps Road Test

Does anyone know what is the dps road test like and why I keep hearing that it is difficult? Is there anyone who has taken this road test and can give me some possible pointers? Thanks guys.
fidelitas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Test Iraz New Riders and MSF Course Info 5 07-24-2015 08:06 AM
DPS written test SpeedCheeser New Riders and MSF Course Info 18 04-07-2009 10:43 PM
Dps road test questions hybrid_crx General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-29-2008 08:56 AM
DPS witten test Eltejano719 General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 06-06-2006 02:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

To get your class M?

I took it many many years ago and the one thing I remember is to make sure you put both feet on the ground at stops. They just want to make sure you know what your are doing before they turn you lose on the roads. It's not hard.

I hate rules
Dps Road Test
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Hard?!?!?!? that was pathetic. I had to do 4 right turns. All I had to do to pass was make four right turns, and make sure I used my blinker, obeyed the speed limit, and put both feet on the ground when I came to a complete stop. Sure I was glad i got my 'M', but at the same time I couldn't believe that they considered I was roadworthy after a test like that.

I honestly believe that getting an endorsement is wayyyyyy too easy in this country. That's all I had to do and I can go buy any bike I can afford. . . some that will run in the 9's bone stock and hit close to 190mph. Tiered liscencing FTMFW.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
scraperbike

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
crf450x

i had to make 3 lefts and 3 rights throught the neighborhood(basically circled 2 blocks), and that was it
scraperbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I vote for MSF...

Works as a riding test, plus you will learn something that might save your one day instead of just getting by with the dps ride test.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
chrisd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'07 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisd
MSF negates roadtest, at least it did in MS where I first got my license.
Plus, MSF is great to have under your belt
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

DPS Motorcycle road test is not difficult, it's just a pain in the . They only accept so many motorcycle / car ride along tests per day. As such, you have to get there no later than 6:30 am so you can secure your place on the list. And, you have to bring a buddy with you in a car. The DPS instructor rides in your buddies car and follows you through a prescribed route through a neighborhood or a series of streets. They'll have your buddy honk his horn to tell you which way to turn at intersections. Expect to get there no later than 6:30 am and you'll be done by 9:00 or 10:00 am.

Just go very slow, i.e. never exceed the speed limit and never accelerate fast. If you do, your buddy may have to accelerate fast to keep up and then the instructor will think you were speeding. Other than that, it's just the normal stuff. Both feet down at stops. Look both directions at turns. Proper use of signals. Just putt around and you'll be fine.

And, for Racer X, no I haven't done MSF.

-Curt
Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
Hard?!?!?!? that was pathetic. I had to do 4 right turns. All I had to do to pass was make four right turns, and make sure I used my blinker, obeyed the speed limit, and put both feet on the ground when I came to a complete stop. Sure I was glad i got my 'M', but at the same time I couldn't believe that they considered I was roadworthy after a test like that.

I honestly believe that getting an endorsement is wayyyyyy too easy in this country. That's all I had to do and I can go buy any bike I can afford. . . some that will run in the 9's bone stock and hit close to 190mph. Tiered liscencing FTMFW.
+1 for that. You also have to provide a car for the instructor to ride in, or at least I did...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
AznGoneNuts

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
what happens if you can't put both feet on the ground?
im 5'6 and can only put one foot down since my bike's seat height is pretty high.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
DPS Motorcycle road test is not difficult, it's just a pain in the . They only accept so many motorcycle / car ride along tests per day. As such, you have to get there no later than 6:30 am so you can secure your place on the list. And, you have to bring a buddy with you in a car. The DPS instructor rides in your buddies car and follows you through a prescribed route through a neighborhood or a series of streets. They'll have your buddy honk his horn to tell you which way to turn at intersections. Expect to get there no later than 6:30 am and you'll be done by 9:00 or 10:00 am.

Just go very slow, i.e. never exceed the speed limit and never accelerate fast. If you do, your buddy may have to accelerate fast to keep up and then the instructor will think you were speeding. Other than that, it's just the normal stuff. Both feet down at stops. Look both directions at turns. Proper use of signals. Just putt around and you'll be fine.

-Curt
+1 And no MSF for me either.... But I do think MSF training is a great learning tool.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post

right, whats scary is that these people pass a VERY basic riding test (as you can read on this thread) and are let loose on the street w/ licenses.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
RiceRocket

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR Black

Send a message via AIM to RiceRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RiceRocket
I took it about 10 years ago, I remember is was so easy. Do a complete stop and look both ways some times more than once, be sure to put both foot down. DPS want's you to be aware of your surrounding constantly look at your side mirrors. Pretty much same as taking a drivers license test. G/L and no wheelies... J/K
RiceRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
GrandeLatte
Technology Pimp

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
96 GL1500
03 F650CS

Member Garage

Quote:

-Curt
make sure your buddy's registration/inspection is up to date and s/he has the insurance paper with them. you will also need a dot certified helmet, a helmet with DOT sticker in the back.

and like everyone says, it is really easy. be courteous and polite, tho.
GrandeLatte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:

-Curt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
+1 And no MSF for me either....
NO MSF... well no more track days for the both of ya'lls till you pass and Racer X is gonna give you the test himself

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
Fuzzy018

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

It's just a pain in the cause you have to show up with your bike, a friend and a car.

The test is rediculously easy!!!

The tester will ride on the passenger seat of your friends car while they follow you. All that's required is that you take the turns the guy behind you tells you to take, and make sure you put both feet down at stop sigsn
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeLatte View Post
make sure your buddy's registration/inspection is up to date and s/he has the insurance paper with them. you will also need a dot certified helmet, a helmet with DOT sticker in the back.

and like everyone says, it is really easy. be courteous and polite, tho.
Very good points....
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
NO MSF... well no more track days for the both of ya'lls till you pass and Racer X is gonna give you the test himself

LSTD has implemented a "must have DL" policy for their trackdays.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
fidelitas88

thanks guys, i really appreciate all your posts. Now I feel pretty confident with the dps test...don't know why i heard from people that it was hard. Probably just an inconvenience to have the driver, etc.
fidelitas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I vote for MSF...

Works as a riding test, plus you will learn something that might save your one day instead of just getting by with the dps ride test.
+1, and MSF was fun...for me atleast...and I think it keeps insurance a little lower.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #20
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelitas88 View Post
thanks guys, i really appreciate all your posts. Now I feel pretty confident with the dps test...don't know why i heard from people that it was hard. Probably just an inconvenience to have the driver, etc.
consider taking the MSF class, besides basically doing your riding test when you take it, you'll learn a thing or 3 about riding.

passing the DPS is a joke and really doesn't prepare you for the streets, the MSF is a much better start.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8017
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Advertisement