MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


bike fatalities and serious injuries

I am a somewhat responsible adult. I have made a few financial choices in my life that werent the smartest, but I always ride safe and ride aware. I have to be aware of the surrounding traffic, the road conditions, the atmosphere of the area, etc... I had a miata before this bike and I am very used to being merged into or not seen by other traffic- and the resulting safe escape from peril. I have had to flee a few times on the bike, and not had any serious traffic incidents yet. My parents think I feel invincible on my bike and offered me a 95 ford taurus for free if i sold my bike. man. whatever.
I know my parents have nothing but good intentions and concern for their son and his family, but I have a bit of a love thing with this particular mode of transportation.

I just had to rant a bit.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police Fatalities Rise Bevo Off Topic 25 01-05-2012 05:53 PM
Racing fatalities... stats? Pre-K Taking it to the Track 33 07-09-2010 08:55 AM
2 Fatalities last night SackDragger General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-17-2006 10:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Gardo
Senior Member
 
Gardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW HOUSTON
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 759

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
12 GT 3.0 GTR
11 Giant Talon 29er1
15 Polaris RZR 4 900






I was offered 3 years ago a Porsche if I sold my bike with the condition that I could never buy another one, I'm still riding I love to ride and won't give it up!!
Gardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
tyme2move
Senior Member
 
tyme2move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Humble
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 733

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535








Take the car, sell the bike to your wife... Remind them that people die in 95 Taurus' too!?

Seriously, i'm sorry they don't understand that it's something you love to do. I'm lucky, both my parents ride.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova
 
DvlRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (52)
Posts: 16,442







Member Garage





I'm on the fence about riding while raising children. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the way I was raised, my father gave up street bikes when we were born and rode dirt w/ me until I was old enough to ride street and now him, my brother, and I all enjoy the roads together. I'm not saying anyone with kids should give up riding, but you do have more people to worry about than just yourself. Different strokes for different folks, however I hope I have enough will power to take a break from some of my more dangerous hobbies when I have children of my own. That said, I would be willing to become a sellout and give up bikes for a [nice] Porche, but it would have to be really fast
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
nothing goes unmoderated....
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,702

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





See that is what I don't get. I mean, a fast porche is potentially just as dangerous as a bike.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova
 
DvlRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (52)
Posts: 16,442







Member Garage





True, but I wouldn't be asking any questions as they were handing me the keys!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
nothing goes unmoderated....
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,702

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





Good point! I don't think I could give up riding, as much as I would want a porche or other supercar, imo, my bike is still better. I like that I can work on it myself, and realistically take it to the track and or stunt it. There are just more possibilities on two wheels.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


i had a neighbor a whole back who was a father of 2- a 10 year old and a 2 year old. he loved to just hang out around my bike and talk about the one he used to have before he wrecked it. he and his friends would drive at 130+mph and just kick a$$ all over town with this bike of his. thats totally not the kind of riding i do. i dont even think i have taken my bike over 100mph. i wouldnt mind getting a dirt bike except that kind of means i have to get a truck, right, lol...

nothing would make me happier than tossing a couple of pocketbikes in the trunk of my neon and finding an open unused parking lot for my daughter and me to have fun on (in a couple of years or so.. she's nearly 3 now).
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







A '95 Tarus????

I'd be like..."Mom, I can not be bought for a 1995 Tarus. Any other offers?"
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i had a neighbor a whole back who was a father of 2- a 10 year old and a 2 year old. he loved to just hang out around my bike and talk about the one he used to have before he wrecked it. he and his friends would drive at 130+mph and just kick a$$ all over town with this bike of his. thats totally not the kind of riding i do. i dont even think i have taken my bike over 100mph. i wouldnt mind getting a dirt bike except that kind of means i have to get a truck, right, lol...

nothing would make me happier than tossing a couple of pocketbikes in the trunk of my neon and finding an open unused parking lot for my daughter and me to have fun on (in a couple of years or so.. she's nearly 3 now).
A three year old fits quite nicely on a 50 with training wheels... I have seen this myself! Striker's daughter is five and has been riding hers for at least that long. Sharing your passion with your kids helps build that relationship, not endanger it. And it's a great idea to start safety YOUNG!
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
supdupgsxr
done with drama!
 
supdupgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 235

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2007 R1









My mom died in a bike wreck when I was 20, leaving me with a 3 year old sister and a 9 year old brother to raise... 3 years ago, a chic fell asleep and rear ended my bike at 60 mph. I survived and have since upgraded bikes. Half of my family understands, the other half thinks I'm insane (even the uncle who drives his own Harley thinks I'm crazy).

If you die doing what you love, so be it, right? Anything can happen, anytime. When it's your number, that's it and anything in between happens for a reason. Is that stupidity or is it true love for being on a bike?
__________________
supdupgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by supdupgsxr View Post
My mom died in a bike wreck when I was 20, leaving me with a 3 year old sister and a 9 year old brother to raise... 3 years ago, a chic fell asleep and rear ended my bike at 60 mph. I survived and have since upgraded bikes. Half of my family understands, the other half thinks I'm insane (even the uncle who drives his own Harley thinks I'm crazy).

If you die doing what you love, so be it, right? Anything can happen, anytime. When it's your number, that's it and anything in between happens for a reason. Is that stupidity or is it true love for being on a bike?
Once you stop living you're dead anyway.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
robz1000
Finding My Mojo
 
robz1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Missouri City, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 97


Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS








Driving a performance car is just not the same as riding on a performance bike. I have a modded '03 Z06 that sits in the garage with a battery tender hooked up to it...it gets taken out for some fun maybe once every 7-10 days. I love the car and don't want to sell it, but my bike gets ridden at least 4-5 days per week.
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
MANSON6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 228

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 636









I ride only track now, i have been down 3 times. Twice on the street and once at the track, i have two little girls who ride Dirt bikes and my wife thinks I'm crazy but she supports whatever decisions I make. My first wreck got me airlifted to the hospital and set me back around $60,000. But like I tell her" IF ALL YOU DO IS WORRY ABOUT DYING YOU WILL NEVER LIVE"
__________________
MANSON6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Gringo3825
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Katy,Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 208

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg








Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardo View Post
I was offered 3 years ago a Porsche if I sold my bike with the condition that I could never buy another one, I'm still riding I love to ride and won't give it up!!
The insurance, maintenance, and gas are way cheaper for a bike. Plus a porsche just says I am compensating for something. And if it's not a carrera GT its not worth having.
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy