MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #21
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ka ching, start small..........

its all about corner speed. and small bikes help you learn.
I don't know if I agree with that. I think corner speed between the really fast people and regular trackdayers that ride expert ain't that much different. I think really fast people know how to brake really reeally late and don't coast at all is the reason they are faster.

Small bikes I don't know if I agree with that either. I did alot better on my 1000 than I did on my 750 mainly because I was faster on the coners than alot of 1000's but they were faster down the straight. When I got a 1000 it fixed that problem.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great of Fire...wait, my ARE on fire! darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-16-2013 01:30 PM
When I grow up... Blanco Taking it to the Track 4 07-05-2012 04:59 PM
How quickly they grow up Grinchy Off Topic 15 04-01-2009 07:21 AM
They grow up so quick these days !!!!!! Grinchy Off Topic 14 01-15-2008 12:10 AM
When i grow up... TnTEntR1 Off Topic 11 11-09-2007 11:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

No dude. I'm not saying it's a bike problem. The 675 is sweet and turns fine. I spent my time worrying about crashing it so I couldn't focus on riding it.

Have you had the suspension set up? I'm pretty heavy so Motorcycles Unlimited had to do some adjusting on both ends to get it right for me. The rear still isn't all it can be but then again, neither am I.

One other suggestion that might help.............On all my bikes I've always had a tach and a speedo and would find myself using them to set my corner speeds. If you are watching them, you aren't focusing on the track. My 650 doesn't have any instrumentation and it has really helped me get in touch with the bike and taught me that I really can judge corner speeds myself.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
Chad (code name = MagicMan) went off at the same place. Rashed up his RC51. Did you do much damage to the bike? I didn't see you actually go off, looked back an saw you standing in the grass couldn't see the bike at all.
That grass was like 10 feet tall I swear! I would have been fine if it was just grass or even just that dirt . I got the bike slowed down fine but there was a little ditch like 1 foot wide (looked like where water ran off the track from), that did me in.

Jenn was cracking up at me... We were checking out the bike and I was like this brake line doesn't have any pressure, that sucks... She was like no dude that is the clutch! Shiiiiiiit ok so I was a little rattled too funny!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
took me awhile to overcome the fear of going into a corner too hot. But coming out and asking is the best thing to do....ask the instructors at your next track day and try working on braking deeper and deeper into a specific corner .. Work that corner (s) till you feel confident enough to move on to the next. It worked for me...So just try and good luck.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #25
Houston'sK5
Banned

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Yellow Haro(Dave Mira Edition)
F4easy

Member Garage

User is banned

Houston'sK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
No dude. I'm not saying it's a bike problem. The 675 is sweet and turns fine. I spent my time worrying about crashing it so I couldn't focus on riding it.

Have you had the suspension set up? I'm pretty heavy so Motorcycles Unlimited had to do some adjusting on both ends to get it right for me. The rear still isn't all it can be but then again, neither am I.

One other suggestion that might help.............On all my bikes I've always had a tach and a speedo and would find myself using them to set my corner speeds. If you are watching them, you are focusing on the track. My 650 doesn't have any instrumentation and it has really helped me get in touch with the bike and taught me that I really can judge corner speeds myself.
Oh I got you on the bike thing now.

I have that problem for sure... I used my GoPro to see where I was looking... every single time I sped up or got to a corner I looked down! I am gonna work on that for sure next time, was frustrating to watch.. Through the corners I was looking at the exit, at the exit I looked at the next corner then all you hear is the engine rev up and all you see is the ground...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
Greasespot

I would talk with an instructor about braking. Knowing that you can brake hard before entering a corner(while upright) will increase your confidence. Those front brakes are powerful once you learn to use them without losing control of the bike.
CMRA CAVEMAN RACING TEAM #88
CMRA #988
TMGP Dawg Pound#8 2009 F6 Endurance 1st place!
Future greasespot fo sho!
Greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #28
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
took me awhile to overcome the fear of going into a corner too hot. But coming out and asking is the best thing to do....ask the instructors at your next track day and try working on braking deeper and deeper into a specific corner .. Work that corner (s) till you feel confident enough to move on to the next. It worked for me...So just try and good luck.
Thats great advice, thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #29
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
By the way, you did great this weekend
Tim where / what is that sticky stuff on the side of your tank called again? What do you even call it (tank grip)?

I have been google'ing for it but the name you gave me doesn't come back to me. Are there other brands that work well?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #30
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Stomp Grips. Motorcycles Unlimited can get them for you!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #31
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ka ching, start small..........

its all about corner speed, entry speed , exit speed and more speed on the the straight away. Just take one day at a time. NO one was born fast.
Like Jody said, practice, practice, practice.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasespot View Post
I would talk with an instructor about braking. Knowing that you can brake hard before entering a corner(while upright) will increase your confidence. Those front brakes are powerful once you learn to use them without losing control of the bike.
Sweet, I guess I just have never really used the front brake that hard on a bike. On the street you use it but not like the track, on the track you really use it. I don't ever touch the rear brake on the track, the street I touch it almost all the time. So braking that habit is tough, I find myself wanting to push that rear brake at every corner. Without it my brain thinks the bike wont stop I guess. I also don't like that rear wheel chatter when you apply tooo much pressure to the front break, that freaks me out big time!

The balance is what I am searching for eh? Enough pressure but not too much, it is a hard thing to find for me. True for everyone?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
Sweet, I guess I just have never really used the front brake that hard on a bike. On the street you use it but not like the track, on the track you really use it. I don't ever touch the rear brake on the track, the street I touch it almost all the time. So braking that habit is tough, I find myself wanting to push that rear brake at every corner. Without it my brain thinks the bike wont stop I guess. I also don't like that rear wheel chatter when you apply tooo much pressure to the front break, that freaks me out big time!

The balance is what I am searching for eh? Enough pressure but not too much, it is a hard thing to find for me. True for everyone?
Nothing wrong with using rear brakes at the track. It's how much you applied it. I have seen some guys do their victory dance by backing it in.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
Stomp Grips. Motorcycles Unlimited can get them for you!
Sweet thanks man!

Hey by the way how is Candie? She crashed at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on 6/22 right? I hope this is the same bubby I am thinking you are. You guys don't know me but I was there that day, tried to help any way I could. How did her surgery go? She on the way to a full recovery?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
maxgs

Member Garage

Your problem may also be related to vision as you are approaching the turn. I've found personally on my bike and in cars as well as with students I instructed on four wheels that looking as far through the turn as possible helps them better judge an appropriate corner entry speed. K. Code talks about that quite a bit in Twist of the Wrist II.

Try looking as far through the turn as you can see; it might help.

-Curt
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #36
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Sweet thanks man!

Hey by the way how is Candie? She crashed at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on 6/22 right? I hope this is the same bubby I am thinking you are. You guys don't know me but I was there that day, tried to help any way I could. How did her surgery go? She on the way to a full recovery?
Yep same Bubby! Candie is recovering. She had surgery on her collarbone and is in the healing process...still in a lot of pain. She'll be back on the bike soon.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #37
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Your problem may also be related to vision as you are approaching the turn. I've found personally on my bike and in cars as well as with students I instructed on four wheels that looking as far through the turn as possible helps them better judge an appropriate corner entry speed. K. Code talks about that quite a bit in Twist of the Wrist II.

-Curt
Aight so how do you judge where to cut in if you are looking deep into a corner? Peripheral vision? That makes sense, if I look at my GoPro video I am looking at the spot where I want to turn in, not where I want to go. I got better at doing it during the day but I still see my last runs where I am looking at the turn in spot on the ground and then I look through the corner.

Interesting! I will have to try that!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #38
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
Yep same Bubby! Candie is recovering. She had surgery on her collarbone and is in the healing process...still in a lot of pain. She'll be back on the bike soon.
Glad to hear she is healing, sad to hear she is in pain that sux! Hope she does well recovering. Been there done that and it sucks! However, hydracodone (or whatever drug they gave her for the pain) is usually some good stuff makes you feel all warm and cozy. That stuff is addictive!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #39
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post

-Curt

another good pointer that I overlooked...Thanks Curt.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:

come see me at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I'll take you out two up and show you just how late you can brake
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement