Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Its not ideal to learn on a setup thats too soft.
Then you might think a properly setup bike is too harsh.
I see it pretty often, guys get new components and complain about it being stiff.
Just gotta go faster and it gets smoother.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F U racetech Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-22-2013 09:02 PM
Fork cartridge replacement randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-04-2010 09:34 AM
Who does RACETECH suspension morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-12-2010 03:00 PM
RaceTech Btiches Prodigy Stunters Lounge 14 05-17-2007 05:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Personally, I like the way my bike was set up with stiffer springs and cartridge work on the front- and I've always used Racetech (never saw an advantage to going to Ohlins). I don't run Jody's pace, but I can comfortably run mid-50's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my 600 and 56-58's on our endurance SV race bike.

I have a Penske shock now, had an Ohlins on my old bike. Both work just fine for me.

I've ridden some stock front end GSXRs, and even at my weight (which is more than 225...) it worked just fine at my pace.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Its not ideal to learn on a setup thats too soft.
Then you might think a properly setup bike is too harsh.
I see it pretty often, guys get new components and complain about it being stiff.
Just gotta go faster and it gets smoother.
Personally, I think learning on a softer suspension can make you smoother- because you have to be smoother to make it work- but that doesn't make it "right".

I've always ridden on softer suspensions because my team mates were always a lot lighter than me. Once I got rid of my "team" bike and bought a bike just for me, I set it up just for me, and I liked it a lot more.

YMMV
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

ok sounds good. I'm not spinning it up to much. Only on the tech session switching from right side to the left and getting on the throttle to hard sometimes at a slower speed. I'm running Corsa 3 tires to, but recently bought some BT-003 to try out later on.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
ok sounds good. I'm not spinning it up to much. Only on the tech session switching from right side to the left and getting on the throttle to hard sometimes at a slower speed. I'm running Corsa 3 tires to, but recently bought some BT-003 to try out later on.
would u be interested in meetin with me at an LSTD event and maybe i can help teach u to ride that big beast smoothly without all the wheelspin ?
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

that's funny. No I'm fine. Like I said it's not to often, but what I ment in the beginning is if I want to spin it up I can.
Really my man problem is I need it to turn in better, which I guess a little turning on the front preload will help with that and maybe springs set to my weight, plus I'm going to a 190/55 rear from my 190/50.
And 2nd I want the whole bike to feel more planted over the rough sections of the track. But when I gas it the rear end doesn't really step out on me unless I'm tired and not being as smooth, but only happens every once in a while. It never snaps out on me though and has good feel for the most part. I'm sure as my pace pics up I'll have different issues arise like ya'll suggested. I'm not the slowest out there, but far from the fastest. I basically just broke into the 1:59 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this last time out with the screwed up turn 1 they had out there and I run consistant 1:55 at MSRH which felt pretty easy for me to do in the traffic I was in last time out. I suppose if I get more confidence in the front tire grip I can run alittle faster which hopefully the new BT-003 will help, but I'm not rushing it. When it comes it does. I do however use all my tire up (no chicken strips) and drag my knee alot with out thinking about it and with the correct body position which I must say is a hoot and really gave me more confidence of where I am to relation to the ground.
Anyway sounds like I'm not quite fast enough to really utilize a better suspension setup, but somehow I think I would feel a difference in how smooth the suspension absorbs bumps etc.. and how quick I can get on the gas out of a curve because the power is getting put to the ground better.
Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #27
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Personally, I like the way my bike was set up with stiffer springs and cartridge work on the front- and I've always used Racetech (never saw an advantage to going to Ohlins). I don't run Jody's pace, but I can comfortably run mid-50's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my 600 and 56-58's on our endurance SV race bike.

I have a Penske shock now, had an Ohlins on my old bike. Both work just fine for me.

I've ridden some stock front end GSXRs, and even at my weight (which is more than 225...) it worked just fine at my pace.
Thanks Tom & bdubb that's good to know to. Sounds like I need to tweek my settings on the front some more at my next track day and it sounds like getting a new rear shock setup is the way to go to.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Yeah man, don't get me wrong though, I really like the feel of the front end with the springs and cartridges done- there's nothing like it when you're pushing your pace.

The stock front ends I've ridden (a couple of different bikes), there's no doubt that it was too soft, but it's definitely ridable and stable for me.

With my bike, I feel like it gets better as I pick up the pace, and at slower paces, it feels, well, just different.

Talk to Patrick about getting an Ohlins or Penske shock first- and get the triple adjustable too. See how that works for you and then decide if you need to get the front end done.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Jody if Gixxerman doesn't need your help I'll be happy to step in line and take some lessons from you. I've seen you ride.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Jody if Gixxerman doesn't need your help I'll be happy to step in line and take some lessons from you. I've seen you ride.
anytime ! hit me up at any LSTD event. ill be more than happy to help u out
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #31
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

oh I can always use the help. You don't see me chasing down Ben Spies.
I just though he wanted to ride my bike. But yeah my next LSTD event I'll be bending your ear.
Thanks to.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #32
jodyhudson

Quote:
oh I can always use the help. You don't see me chasing down Ben Spies.
I just though he wanted to ride my bike. But yeah my next LSTD event I'll be bending your ear.
Thanks to.
i dont want to ride ur bike bro. i got my own scooter. i was just gonna help u learn to ride a 1000 smoothly. thats all.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #33
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
anytime ! hit me up at any LSTD event. ill be more than happy to help u out
Thanks !! I'll be looking for you.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #34
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Thanks !! I'll be looking for you.
im usually pitted with the LSTD crew... Steve, Wade & Jeff
Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #35
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i dont want to ride ur bike bro. i got my own scooter. i was just gonna help u learn to ride a 1000 smoothly. thats all.
that's cool. You would probably show me how fast it can really go anyway. I've seen you ride before to at GSS, but on the motard. fun to watch you slide that bike around. Anyway I'll look for ya to next time I'm out.
Thanks for the offer
Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #36
jodyhudson

Quote:
that's cool. You would probably show me how fast it can really go anyway. I've seen you ride before to at GSS, but on the motard. fun to watch you slide that bike around. Anyway I'll look for ya to next time I'm out.
Thanks for the offer
yep. anytime
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #37
BrutusTx

Member Garage

FWIW, my R1 has RaceTech internals in the front and Ohlins on the rear and it handles as good or better than my Ducati with Ohlins front and rear.

Both were setup by Motorcycles Unlimited.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #38
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
FWIW, my R1 has RaceTech internals in the front and Ohlins on the rear and it handles as good or better than my Ducati with Ohlins front and rear.

Both were setup by Motorcycles Unlimited.
well that's good to hear. Ya know I was chasing down a Ducati 1098 at MSRH my last track day there and I got to say. I was very impressed on how quick he could get off the corners through the technical section and on the gas putting the power to the ground. I was right on him and he had about the same pace as me or a little quicker it seemed. It just seemed like he was able to get his power to the ground quicker then me, because I would hear him accelerate and I did almost at the same time and he would pull away exiting the turns. I wasn't spinning up either. Of course it might be that great low end torque they got I hear about compared to the inlines.
The 1098 want out run me down the back stretch so I was able to reel him in and actually was able to close up on top of him almost braking into the corners for some reason even though I know those bikes got the brembo's and I'm not a real late breaker myself. Anyway it was impressive to see the bike in action with someone that was a little faster then me. Anyway that was alot of fun.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #39
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

You can also effect your turn in faster/slower with a geometrey change.
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #40
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerscasa View Post
You can also effect your turn in faster/slower with a geometrey change.
Very true........my R1 and my ZX10 both handled better (for me) after changing the geometry. And it doesn't take much.....

And I will add, trust in the person setting up your suspension, if you don't have faith in the person/people doing the setup you'll be chasing your tail.

Last edited by BrutusTx; 07-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Advertisement