MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Question Ohlins or RaceTech cartridge kit?

Got a question for you track junkies. Over the winter months I’m wanting to upgrade my suspension to some Ohlins and or RaceTech. I want to go with the Ohlins TTX 36 shock that I’ve found for $1124 and thinking of the Ohlins 25mm cartridge R&T cartridge kit for $1342 or Race Tech G2-R which I’m not sure of price, but assume it’s close to the Ohlins. I’ll most likely have Patrick install it all and set it up for me since I hear he is the guy to see for this stuff. Not sure of the install price though for this stuff. Maybe Patrick can tell me.
My main question is about the cartridge kit. Which is better the RaceTech or Ohlins as far as performance and feel go? I’m assuming they both cost marginally the same, but the RaceTech is good because I here I can take it out and put it in other bikes with just the cost of an adapter, don’t see that the Ohlins can do that, so in the long run Racetech may be better price wise. But how is performance compared between the two?
Any comments would be great from you guys that own either one or has had both setups. Oh also do you need to do the rear shock and front at the same time or is it ok to spread it out a little?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by gixxerman; 07-10-2008 at 09:51 AM.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F U racetech Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-22-2013 09:02 PM
Fork cartridge replacement randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-04-2010 09:34 AM
Who does RACETECH suspension morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-12-2010 03:00 PM
RaceTech Btiches Prodigy Stunters Lounge 14 05-17-2007 05:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Work with your tuner to find the best combo for yourself.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Got a question for you track junkies. Over the winter months Iím wanting to upgrade my suspension to some Ohlins and or RaceTech. I want to go with the Ohlins TTX 36 shock that Iíve found for $1124 and thinking of the Ohlins 25mm cartridge R&T cartridge kit for $1342 or Race Tech G2-R which Iím not sure of price, but assume itís close to the Ohlins. Iíll most likely have Patrick install it all and set it up for me since I hear he is the guy to see for this stuff. Not sure of the install price though for this stuff. Maybe Patrick can tell me.
My main question is about the cartridge kit. Which is better the RaceTech or Ohlins as far as performance and feel go? Iím assuming they both cost marginally the same, but the RaceTech is good because I here I can take it out and put it in other bikes with just the cost of an adapter, donít see that the Ohlins can do that, so in the long run Racetech may be better price wise. But how is performance compared between the two?
Any comments would be great from you guys that own either one or has had both setups. Oh also do you need to do the rear shock and front at the same time or is it ok to spread it out a little?
Thanks for your help.

i definately recommend the shock. but are u having front end issues or are u just wanting to spend $$$$ ?
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
rear shock is more important than front forks....so if you're gonna spread them out, do the rear shock first.

as far as the front forks go.....ohlins would of course have the upper hand. but definately go with whatever your suspension tuner KNOWS how to work with. don't put something in there that they are not familiar with.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I suggest going to Patrick and getting him to quote you on the TTX. From my experience he had very reasonable prices back after I bought my TTX elsewhere.

The TTX is a bit more difficult to get set up perfect from what I understand, but once it's there it performs outstanding. I have been very happy with mine and should continue to grow more pleased with it as I get faster and really start to make better use of it.

From a cartridge standpoint I assume you will get mixed reviews between the two you have listed as people just have their own preferences. I recently went with a RaceTech internals swap with Motorcycles Unlimited and was happy with it as well. It included springs, the new G2R valves, etc. and gave me about another 25mm of travel on the front end as well.

I think a phone call into Patrick or Brandon up at Motorcycles Unlimited will answer a lot of questions for you as far as what to go with and you can continue to do your research up until the purchase. When I looked around before buying I just noticed that suspension appeared to be a very biased topic with many people. Some for good reason, others simply from 3rd party information.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i definately recommend the shock. but are u having front end issues or are u just wanting to spend $$$$ ?
I'm not having any front end issues right now, it fills fine at my pace, but figured I might ought to upgrade the front with the rear at some point. I do want a smoother ride though like at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the back straight from turn 6 to 7 and off the front straight turn 1. Although I picked a lower line threw turn 1 that seemed to fix most of the chassis unsettling. Also a little quicker turn in like in the tech session at MSRH would be great

Last edited by gixxerman; 07-10-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

I like my Ohlin rear shock great.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
don't count on suspension eliminating the bumps, they will always be there

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
don't count on suspension eliminating the bumps, they will always be there
That's true, but will a better rear shock help to keep my back end from bouncing around as much?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I am sure other items play a roll, but your preload/ride height will adjust how it turns in.

I'm no suspension guru though. Just try to pick up what the guru's do to my bike when they do it to try and gain a decent understanding.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
That's true, but will a better rear shock help to keep my back end from bouncing around as much?
If it's a stock spring etc. it may be sprung for 2-up riding which probably doesn't help in the matter at all.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

yeah it's a stock spring and shock etc.. I was told by an instructor that a spring sized for my weight will help alot, but figured I'd just get the whole shock with it to. I weight 225, plus gear

Last edited by gixxerman; 07-10-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
jodyhudson

Quote:
I'm not having any front end issues right now, it fills fine at my pace, but figured I might ought to upgrade the front with the rear at some point. I do want a smoother ride though like at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the back straight from turn 6 to 7 and off the front straight turn 1. Although I picked a lower line threw turn 1 that seemed to fix most of the chassis unsettling. Also a little quicker turn in like in the tech session at MSRH would be great
then why fix sumthin that aint broke ? on my 2006 1000rr. i run a penske triple clicker on the rear and bone stock show room forks. i didnt even change the springs. unless the front end is acting funny, whats the point in spending all that cash ? if anything, just make sure u have the proper springs for ur weight in the forks and have patrick set ur sag on the bike after u get the new shock. the only aftermarket my bike has is a pipe & a shock. other than that it is bone stock. and on a good trackday without alot of lapper traffic i can run 48's & 49's at TWS (Texas World Speedway). spending $$$ doesnt make u a faster rider. seat time does. if things are working fine at the pace u are going now... i suggest you dont waste ur $$$ until that changes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
then why fix sumthin that aint broke ? on my 2006 1000rr. i run a penske triple clicker on the rear and bone stock show room forks. i didnt even change the springs. unless the front end is acting funny, whats the point in spending all that cash ? if anything, just make sure u have the proper springs for ur weight in the forks and have patrick set ur sag on the bike after u get the new shock. the only aftermarket my bike has is a pipe & a shock. other than that it is bone stock. and on a good trackday without alot of lapper traffic i can run 48's & 49's at TWS (Texas World Speedway). spending $$$ doesnt make u a faster rider. seat time does. if things are working fine at the pace u are going now... i suggest you dont waste ur $$$ until that changes
Thanks Jody for slapping me around. It's the whole Ohlins drulling thing that gets me sometime. Yeah your right. My rear is the only thing I really have the problem with. I would like a faster turn in, but thinking back to when my suspension was setup sag etc. for me I told the guy it turned in to fast for me at that time. Know 9 track days later I'm faster and it doesn't keep up with me in the technical sections, I have to wait for it to come around. If that makes since, so I probably just need to stiffen up my preload some on the front. Then of course get a new spring or shock setup up. I'm opting for the new shock though. that's fast BTW at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I'm not in your league yet on time, but will be someday hopefully. Just trying to get there without busting my .
Thanks for the advice everybody. It's much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Remind him Jody, you're nowhere near his 225 plus gear. His bike's a whole different animal, as yours would be too should you gain 50+.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #16
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

yeah that's true. Not sure ofJody's weight. I'm 225lb plus gear so I guess maybe 250 with gear and have 165hp at the rear wheel, so spinnign up the rear is easy to do. Of course tires help with that to.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Too many to list

I would get a Penske shock. Cheaper to buy and rebuild and works just as good.

Leave the forks alone like Jody said unless you weigh 200# or more. The springs are the most important thing, till you start getting faster. Then you will want the valving to match.

But, if you are going to buy a cart. kit anyway, I would get the Traxxion kit. It works great right outta the box. Both the others need to be changed to work properly.

Keith @ R&T Suspension
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Penske rear FTW. Better for the bumpy tracks we run around here. AK's for the front if you decie to upgrade. But mostly everyone is right. More seat time. Not sure what times you are running now and where, but unless you are under 1:50's in Houston or 1:55's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) you are wasting money. Spend the doough on instruction and trackdays until you are outriding the suspention. That may be a while...........
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I am going to agree to some on all of the above.

Fast times without suspension can be done. Look at Alonzo and many others with bone stock bikes out there at MSRH etc. I weight in around 230 plus gear right now and Maxgs is a big man too with the same comments towards stock forks with big riders. Just maxing out your stock forks can get you by, but when you swap the springs out and truely get it set up for you things become almost night and day for the big guys on these bikes IMO.

It can be argued all day long about if it's needed and for who though.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
jodyhudson

Quote:
yeah that's true. Not sure ofJody's weight. I'm 225lb plus gear so I guess maybe 250 with gear and have 165hp at the rear wheel, so spinnign up the rear is easy to do. Of course tires help with that to.
yes, u are heavier. im a 175lb not including gear. that is why i can get away with stock fork springs. seriously, just get some 1.0 kg springs for the front and set the proper sag. then its just a matter of turning sum nobs here and there to get it dialed in. i dont know why ur spinning that thing up so bad. are u riding the thing like a 600 ? cause if u are... that could be ur problem right there

Advertisement