MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
"Offroad use" titled bikes get converted and legalized all the time. We usually call them dual sports. Other than the fact that it's small and doesn't "look" like a real motorcycle, as long as the necessary parts have been added to pass a proper inspection, there's no legal way for LEO to have the plates revoked.

The engine size won't do it - The RS50 is street legal.
The "offroad use" won't do it - since it's been converted and the conversion documented and approved by the system.
The fact that it's small - well, it's not safe in heavy traffic because the SUVs and pickups will smush you like a bug but size doesn't make smart cars or super-low sports cars illegal.

Yup, it's totally legal for road use. NOT highway use, but road use.

Granted, this isn't going to stop them from pulling you over to check that it's legit, or impound it for riding like an @$$...
It'll only be a matter of time...Brett may be in the clear legally with all the proper paperwork to be legit, but I must say that they will catch on. I had a group of buddies in Chicago who did this...5 of them to be exact. They did street rides, sidewalk rides, and through the forest rides....Eventually it caught up to them and popo got with the sec. of state and had the plates revoked. Once again...congrats!

and now that we answered one of the questions, can you answer the other?

who inspected and filled out your form? A service station or DPS? If DPS, was it a friend of friend kind of thing?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Happy 1st-time Customer debit_debit Motorcycles Unlimited 1 05-06-2012 10:52 PM
Happy Office Time - Flagpole Sitta ArturoC Off Topic 6 06-05-2007 04:08 PM
Andrea Rincon...happy time!!! ratmzapa Off Topic 26 04-06-2006 12:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona Busa View Post
A 50 on Houston streets = DEATH!

Cagers don't see us on our big a$$ Busa's, with power to get out of sticky situations, much less on a 50, thats below car/truck door handle height!

Good luck...........& bless!!
yeah, i'm bery careful and just stay on side streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
pics or it doesn't exist
you'll see it tomorrow night
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
It'll only be a matter of time...Brett may be in the clear legally with all the proper paperwork to be legit, but I must say that they will catch on. I had a group of buddies in Chicago who did this...5 of them to be exact. They did street rides, sidewalk rides, and through the forest rides....Eventually it caught up to them and popo got with the sec. of state and had the plates revoked. Either way...congrats!

and now that we answered one of the questions, can you answer the other?

who inspected and filled out your form? A service station or DPS? If DPS, was it a friend of friend kind of thing?
what form? it was inspected by a service station that normally does it. I had never met them. I had the police do the 68A inspection which is verification of any numbers on the bike.

also, how could they take away the tags... is it a homebuilt... it never was a dirtbike. it has an aftermarket frame. there never was any kind of title for this bike. there is no way they could take the tags
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

, things worked differently than I thought....I'm not ' ya man. I just thought DPS did the actual inspection and that it was a Honda...with a title which read "off road vehicle or whatever". I just didn't see that flying by those guys...at least not my father-in-law (who works for DPS) , makes me wanna get this sh*tty knock off I have street legal to ride through the neighborhood. But be careul for real, cagers are gonna have a hard time seeing ya and rolling down the sidewalk will get ya in trouble real quick. Either way, I'm jealous. How much did the whole conversion to make it street worthy and an aftermarket frame run ya to get it where it's at?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
Oh!Thatgirl
He's for sale...... Cheap

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Congrats Brett!!!!!!
Cool as .... can't wait to see you riding on the streets.....
Oh!Thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #26
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
, things worked differently than I thought....I'm not ' ya man. I just thought DPS did the actual inspection and that it was a Honda...with a title which read "off road vehicle or whatever". it used to be a honda... i bought it from Josh302 with an aftermarket frame.I just didn't see that flying by those guys...at least not my father-in-law (who works for DPS) , makes me wanna get this sh*tty knock off I have street legal to ride through the neighborhood. But be careul for real, cagers are gonna have a hard time seeing ya and rolling down the sidewalk will get ya in trouble real quick. Either way, I'm jealous. How much did the whole conversion to make it street worthy and an aftermarket frame run ya to get it where it's at?
I spent a total of about $100 to get the stator wound for lights and to buy the lights. I put them on and wired them up with Josh's help. the aftermarket frame wou;d be about $450 new. so as far as the tile goes... it's not a 2004 Honda CRF 50 anymore, it's a 2004 ASVE motorcycle. ASVE stands for "assembled vehicle" so it'd be in the same category as a home built custom chopper
Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Congrats! I know how long this took - Glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #28
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
It'll only be a matter of time...Brett may be in the clear legally with all the proper paperwork to be legit, but I must say that they will catch on.
Maybe somewhere else it isn't legal to convert an offroad vehicle to street use, but here it's perfectly legit. There are plenty of "big" bikes that have gone the same route, including my XR400R and my SO's XR650R. The inspection station fills out a special form if the vehicle is passing inspection for the first time since being labeled "offroad", which is how the tax office agrees that it has passed muster and meets all of the state (and/or federal) requirements for a vehicle registered here.

Quote:
, things worked differently than I thought....I'm not ' ya man. I just thought DPS did the actual inspection and that it was a Honda...with a title which read "off road vehicle or whatever". I just didn't see that flying by those guys...
The inspection station does not need to see any proof of ownership, just the proof of insurance. I had mine inspected by a regular shop before transferring the title, and I was worried that it having someone else's name would matter - but he said that passing the bike only requires minimum insurance per state requirements, the bike is in working order and has all necessary operating parts per the state requirements, and the fee paid for the inspection itself.

Basically, regardless of what you bring in there, if it meets code it will pass. If it passes, you can register it. If you register it, you get a plate. Once it's plated, PaRtY oN!
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #29
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

What Squeaky says is true! Dbuck just needs to calm it down a little. My CRF450R is street legal. It's really simple. Tax Assessor/Collectors office requires the title and the inspection 'green sheet' (out of state inspection form). I paid sales tax and registration, and walked out with a plate and a new title in the mail. I had no 'hook ups' whatsoever.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I have converted a DRZ400E and a DRZ250. The weird part is that on the 250, I didn't have to have a hi/lo headlight. Just got them green tagged inspected and then off to the courthouse. They took my original title and sent me a new one.

My KTM that I just sold was also converted and my SUMO XR400R (that is still for sale by the way) was converted by the previous owner, the XR400R's weren't originally street legal.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #31
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
that is so cool. where are you going to be tomorrow night? I would like to see a legal 50 lol crazy stuff =)

told my gf and now she wants one... sounds like it was a little work there huh!
i'll be riding the 50 down in alvin tonight
Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #32
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
What Squeaky says is true! Dbuck just needs to calm it down a little. My CRF450R is street legal. It's really simple. Tax Assessor/Collectors office requires the title and the inspection 'green sheet' (out of state inspection form). I paid sales tax and registration, and walked out with a plate and a new title in the mail. I had no 'hook ups' whatsoever.
calm it down? I didn't know I was worked up?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #33
federal20
up and comer

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2004 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2008 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2005 gsxr 600 streetfighter stunted (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to federal20
congrats ill b in alvin as well

Advertisement