MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
this cant be good.

so i bought a 1990 Yamaha FZR 1000. brought her home. today was the 2nd day i took her out riding.

rode to the store, got a camera to take pics of her. got home, snapped a few, and then i set my helmet on the tank, to take pics with that on there, and 2 seconds later the nuetral light comes on...im like "ummmm...WTF!" and i think the fan came on too.

the keys were in my pocket!...my bike is possesed like freakin Christine!

anyways. so i tried to put the key back in a jiggle it around, to no success. the bike is acting like the switch is on, even without the key in there. yes, i could even start it without the key, and that scares the out of me. (wont be posting those pics of my bike till this is fixed, i aint tryin to GIVE it away to anyone!, lol)

check this out, this is weird too. the brake lights go on and off when i change the key position, but the turn signals work either way.. so i think the key/ignition switch might be working, at least partially.

if this were just a case of needing a new ignition, i wouldnt be too upset. i could probably afford it easily and replace that myself. what im scared of is that there is somewhere in the electrical system that is making contact that isnt supposed to. that sounds like something thats going to be tricky to track down. i dont have one of those electric ohmeter thingies, much less know how to use one. i do have the haynes manual for the bike, and i can understand most of it, but the electrical system is like ummm...

what should i do? im thinking replace the ignition first, and pray? the key seems really old, maybe its just worn? but i dunno, somehow i dont think thats going to resolve this. anyone got any tips, or better yet someone know a good mechanic that can help me?

what would be a fair price to pay for someone to look at this and get it fixed?

oh, and im pre-emptively asking for no flux capacitor jokes...lol...im allready bout to i cant take it...

Last edited by Chris24; 10-27-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Go Pro + Good Songs= Good videos!! Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-04-2012 10:31 AM
good external drive, good deal?, other reccomendations? Dont really need compact urbanXJ Off Topic 9 04-27-2010 11:33 AM
Any good Kawasaki dealers with good mechanics? crzy88 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-09-2009 02:07 PM
In need of a good bodyshop with good prices. Croe General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 10-06-2008 07:34 AM
Good Fences DO make good neighbors! Squoddybody Off Topic 18 08-09-2008 12:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

that lol possed bikes..

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
lol yea thats some wild
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
DuBwEaR
Agent PIMP

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R

Member Garage

thats wierd, i'd say call patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and see what it would cost.
1995 Honda Shadow VLX
2004 Nissan Frontier XE
DuBwEaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
I might be able to help you out.

Just PM me your address.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
sure! its 635.....HEY! lol. j/k I DONT THINK SO, TIM!

well what i ended up doing for now is disconnecting the battery. its under the seat of course and you need the key to take the seat off, so thats at least some comfort. i keep the bike garaged so its pretty safe, but i definatly cant go anywhere and park it till i fix this :(
Old 10-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

sounds like your getting a constant connection in the ignition relay. was the bike ever stolen or did you ever try to start it with a different key by accident?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #8
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

It's definetly NOT the flux capacitor. It's just your ignition. Easy fix. Replace that and you'll be rollin again in no time. If, by some chance, that's not it, I've got an 8lb hammer that will fix ANYTHING!!!!!!!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

the bike and key worked like normal at first. second day of owning it, it started acting up. yeah, i think your right about the ignition having a constant connection.

im sure it wasnt stolen, like i said it worked normal before, and all the sudden did this. im going to take it to patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited whenever i get paid. cmon, paycheck!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

good luck my friend good luck

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement