MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I thought it was a better article than many others I have read.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when will the madness stop "very dangerous marijuana" lol urbanXJ Off Topic 28 08-23-2012 07:24 PM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #22
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i like on page two

Broussard, who does not ride sport bikes, said responsible motorcyclists call those types of riders squids, which is derived from the words “squirrelly” and “kid.”

In the study, the most common factors cited for fatal crashes on supersports bikes and sport bikes were driver error and speed. Speed was cited in 57 percent of fatal crashes on supersports bikes and 46 percent of fatalities on sport bikes. In contrast, speed was cited in 27 percent of fatal crashes on cruiser motorcycles and 22 percent of fatal crashes on touring motorcycles.

I agree
Yea, the harley riders just ride right off the road on a turn doing 40mph.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I thought it was a better article than many others I have read.
+1
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #24
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

+1

"What they question is whether the type of motorcycle Futrell was on and Varnado’s relative lack of experience on it might have played a role in the crash, said her father, Aubrey Futrell."

“Kids don’t understand how dangerous and unforgiving these (sport) bikes are,” he said. “It’s not a safe bike in my opinion to be on.”

"...A popular choice for younger motorcycle riders because of their cheap price relative to their high performance, sport bikes usually produce more horsepower per pound than other motorcycles."

------------

The bike is not the dangerous thing - they seem to do quite well on the track in a professional's hands... it's the lack of training, experience and age that make a very good tool a very dangerous potential in the wrong hands.

The same goes for a hammer - dangerous in my 6-yr old's hands, but an important tool in mine....

In other words, it's the person who is dangerous, not the tool.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

to a certain point, a heavy hammer is more danger and harder to control then a lighter hammer.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #26
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I think a cruiser compared to a sportbike is more like a hammer being compared to a jackhammer.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

i'm glad that they at least said that a better solution than trying to get rid of the bikes themselves, or limiting them, would be to require more training for new riders.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #28
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
to a certain point, a heavy hammer is more danger and harder to control then a lighter hammer.
...in the wrong hands...

----
then I read today in New Orleans Biz Journal about how many more people are turning to 2-wheels because of the price of fuel - in New Orleans. They report two classes of buyers....

Scooters - newbies to cycling
Motorcycles - men who finally got permission from their wives...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #29
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
+1

"What they question is whether the type of motorcycle Futrell was on and Varnado’s relative lack of experience on it might have played a role in the crash, said her father, Aubrey Futrell."

“Kids don’t understand how dangerous and unforgiving these (sport) bikes are,” he said. “It’s not a safe bike in my opinion to be on.”

"...A popular choice for younger motorcycle riders because of their cheap price relative to their high performance, sport bikes usually produce more horsepower per pound than other motorcycles."

------------

The bike is not the dangerous thing - they seem to do quite well on the track in a professional's hands... it's the lack of training, experience and age that make a very good tool a very dangerous potential in the wrong hands.

The same goes for a hammer - dangerous in my 6-yr old's hands, but an important tool in mine....

In other words, it's the person who is dangerous, not the tool.
thats a verrrrrryyy good point.....get of the sportbike hatin band wagon guys.....we will never be able to tell young people with ego's to stop acting dumb....and thats alot of the problem....for the most part they are called accidents for a reason..otherwise they would be called murders and suicides.
Old School RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Zipdot
Safety Inspector

Bike(s):
Caspian Blue 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

All the MSF training requirements in the world don't seem to stop 50% of the bikers I know anecdotally from lacking a motorcycle endorsement on the license... So what does that mean? More traffic enforcement for bikers to get unlicensed bikers off the road using huge fines and vehicle impoundments?

No one wants more traffic enforcement... What can we do to increase personal responsibility? More laws are obviously not the answer (actually new / additional legislation for most topics in my mind is contrary / detrimental to personal responsibility), but what is? People learn their own lessons in life, and often people learn from their mistakes. The real tragedies occur when someone else's screwup takes out your unsuspecting 19-year old daughter or some tries to kill herself by heading into oncoming traffic and ends up murdering a family of four or whatever and herself surviving. (rant there but true story).

Anyway, I don't know if we can do much better than to just encourage an attitude among bikers that being safe is being cool.b:
Zipdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #31
1badzx12r
SHREK

Bike(s):
2001 joker custom

All of this about sportbikes being more dangerous is BS....You can die just as fast on a cruiser...it's the rider,not the bike!!! Same as a gun...nothing happens unless u pull the phuckn trigger

Its peanut butter jelly time!!!
1badzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement