MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
CMRA Race @ MSRH

I'll make it quick, sweet and sour all together... since my burnt face needs some sleeping

- Mucho Mucho thanks to CMRA for finally running @ MSRH! With this I'd also like to thank Buck for his continuous pushing for MSRH.

The show was run on time pretty much during endurance and sprints! All the organizers did great, CWs did great and everything just came together really well.

- I'd also like to thank the MSRH staff (who always) have tundras running around cleaning stuff up, putting new stuff in, taking old stuff out, guiding people, being patient with the pit bikes, etc etc. They run a class show! I'm happy for them (specially now for the kart track!) I'd really like to see more racing @ MSRH.

Their facility is probably the best out of TWS (Texas World Speedway)/OHR/MSRC/Denton/Katy - you name it.

- A huge thanks to all the endurance teams for running it clean and cautiously! I know going into this race the word was "Yep, It's going to be a crash fest!". I must say it was nothing of that nature. Heck not a single RED flag! Heck, I think only 1 crash for the whole day by bike # 45 (who ended up finished top 3).

- Sprints went really good aswell, except Gabe taking a whole group out.... I'll let him voice on this from his point of view. Nobody was seriously hurt.

Overall, We did however have a good 4-5 riders down, two broken collarbones, one concussion, etc etc.

"Derek" Steptoe also went down in the Diamond's edge. He was running clean low 1:40s before he went down (he was 3rd at the time) and doing a darn good job at it! Hope he's okay.... I'll leave the details upto him.

My thoughts go out to all the riders that went down in sprints (including my team mate), hope you all recover quick!

- In CMRA, in practice running a transponder is not "require" but if you do - they do announce your laptimes and discuss it over the radio 88.1fm. Some riders run transponders and some dont.

Ty Howard did not - and at the time over the radio they annoucned something about the top 10 riders all being under 1:40.

In practice, my brother texted me (corner working) saying "Dude Ty Howard just ran a 1:33". I replied saying, that's probably wrong with your human error of timing with your cell phone....

Sure enough during the F1 Expert race - they annoucned Ty Howard breaking the lap record and putting down a new record of 1:32 something

I have no clue why or where this guy gets his speed from - but I sure could use some! He proved once again why he's Ty Howard....

- As far as MH riders go, let me just say "Alonzo & Derek" sure made us proud. They took full advantage of their home track and put down the schooling to rest of the novices! Both of them finished top 5 in their respective races. I know Alonzo was out motored and was riding on a crappy stock suzuki suspension.

I know Dustin was also hauling in the mail (ahem ahem) along with other MH riders.

- There was lotsa good battles in every class, from the Novice holding off the Expert # 1 plate in the LW Twins to the HW Twin race between Ronnie's RSV1000 and the Van's 1098s.

- Special thanks to Henry for helping my team in the endurance race, during an unscheduled pit stop.

Thank you all and see you guys next round !

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...

Last edited by BlackWidow; 07-06-2008 at 08:28 PM.
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Race Pix - A Few From Last Weekend at MSRH Racer997 Taking it to the Track 12 02-27-2011 01:13 PM
MSRH Race Prep Course - Dec 11, 2010 @ MSRH Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 12-07-2010 12:24 PM
cmra@msrh - race wknd SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 0 07-06-2008 08:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
TrevorC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

we had to throw 2 red flags today...i was out corner working in turn 6....so correction on that.

otherwise, it was a great event.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorC View Post
we had to throw 2 red flags today...i was out corner working in turn 6....so correction on that.

otherwise, it was a great event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
- A huge thanks to all the endurance teams for running it clean and cautiously! I know going into this race the word was "Yep, It's going to be a crash fest!". I must say it was nothing of that nature. Heck not a single RED flag! Heck, I think only 1 crash for the whole day by bike # 45 (who ended up finished top 3).
That was indicated towards the Saturday Endurance - where no red flags were raised.

For today's sprints, yes your right - there were two red flags, one coz of Connor on his SuperMoto hitting an SV's rear wheel in the launch I think. And then the one which involved Gabe M (Ninja) & Trent S. (GSXR) in T8, which I thought was handled very professionally!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Glad you made it out and that the whole event went off well. First CMRA weekend I can remember that the pm races were not shortened. Everyone got six laps to get it done, 8 in F1. Was good to see some of the old familiar faces and some new ones. Hopefully your inpression of MSRH will be shared by others and we'll see the CMRA show in Houston again next year. I can't think of a better venue to start the season in Febuary when OHR and the rest are still frozen.
Congrats to your endurance team for an incident free run, MSRH is a great facility with an incredible staff. Glad you enjoyed it so much. hope we'll see you out there more often.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Congrats on the finish Moe, one set of the old BT002 Pro's for 6 hours of green flag racing! Great job!

You coming to TWS (Texas World Speedway)?

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
was a good day for sprints. i had fun. was my first cmra race event ive been to. looks very fun.
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Congrats on the finish Moe, one set of the old BT002 Pro's for 6 hours of green flag racing! Great job!

You coming to TWS (Texas World Speedway)?

John
We did the race on the BT003s, and just like you said - they stuck well till the end.

We'll be at TWS (Texas World Speedway), so save us another set of those BT003s. I'm totally sold on Bridgestones.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Glad you made it out and that the whole event went off well. First CMRA weekend I can remember that the pm races were not shortened. Everyone got six laps to get it done, 8 in F1. Was good to see some of the old familiar faces and some new ones. Hopefully your inpression of MSRH will be shared by others and we'll see the CMRA show in Houston again next year. I can't think of a better venue to start the season in Febuary when OHR and the rest are still frozen.
Congrats to your endurance team for an incident free run, MSRH is a great facility with an incredible staff. Glad you enjoyed it so much. hope we'll see you out there more often.
No doubt Buck, You'll definitly see alot more of me @ MSRH. I think I speak for the majority (bitter or not), the event went very well and I know you have a very big hand in this. Heck I've been following your distressed posts since last year when you were pushing for CMRA @ MSRH. It does make more sense to run Feb/Mar races @ MSRH and I think if Endurance teams behave like how they did this past weekend, I don't see why or how any one could have any issues.

Good Job Buck! It all makes sense now !

Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Congrats on finishing the endurance race in the toughest class in the CMRA series. Not an easy feat.

Endurance is easily the best bang for the racing dollar, and it sounds like you spent your dollars well.

Good job!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
Greasespot

Thanks to everyone too at MSRH. This was my first time running an endurance race and I really enjoyed it. I appreciate the help from everyone and to my teammates - great job!
Rob
CMRA CAVEMAN RACING TEAM #88
CMRA #988
TMGP Dawg Pound#8 2009 F6 Endurance 1st place!
Future greasespot fo sho!
Greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Congrats to the MSRH crew! Great job this weekend!

Congrats to Caveman Racing! Good job. Is that the Kawi that was for sale at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in April?
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post

Congrats to Caveman Racing! Good job. Is that the Kawi that was for sale at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in April?
Yo Max, I saw that yall had a couple of long pits- did yall have problems with the bike or something? Yall were in a tough azz class too- that track definitely seems to suit the majority of 600s...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

We changed the rear tire at about the 4hr mark. Other than that our pitstops are slow as we don't yet have dry-brake system.

Tough class is right! Up until this round, in order to podium we would have to finish 7th overall (3 of top 7 overall teams were SBCE)!!

Sorry Tom...but I decked both sides of the freshly painted lower...again.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
We changed the rear tire at about the 4hr mark. Other than that our pitstops are slow as we don't yet have dry-brake system.

Tough class is right! Up until this round, in order to podium we would have to finish 7th overall (3 of top 7 overall teams were SBCE)!!

Sorry Tom...but I decked both sides of the freshly painted lower...again.
Oh, that's you?

At least the McDermott folks got to see it when it was pretty... right?

Moe, sorry for the threadjack.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Those scuffs are 'beauty marks'!!!

I really want to give a big thanks to every endurance team! A clean 6hr race in extreme heat & humidity...not to mention the constant threat of rain!

Did anybody else's pucker on the warm up lap when we got to the back section and it was raining (hard sprinkle)?!?! Mine did. All I could think about was, 'I wonder what it's going to be like next time 'round...at SPEED'.

I would like to thank the good Lord for the umbrella he provided us that day.

No threadjack intended.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:

Congrats to your team aswell.

This Kawi was Bill Guthrie's old sprint bike (ridden by Larry Meyers alot @ MSRH).

This was our team's first big bike endurance race ever, it was very interesting to say the least.

Caveman Racing is comprised of:

Moe Agha (Black Widow)
Rob Cash (Greasearse)
Jim Cash
Fabian Saldana (HoustonsR6)

Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Well represented Moe! Especially for a 'de-flowering'!! Endurance racing is a whole different group of nutters.

Every one of your riders that I came upon rode very well. They maintained their lines and didn't do anything silly. Thank you. I look (and hope) to see y'all out there again!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Greasespot

Quote:
Well represented Moe! Especially for a 'de-flowering'!! Endurance racing is a whole different group of nutters.

Every one of your riders that I came upon rode very well. They maintained their lines and didn't do anything silly. Thank you. I look (and hope) to see y'all out there again!
Thanks for the compliment. I figured there would be many expert racers out there and they were very courteous on the track to some of us newbies.
Thanks,
Rob
CMRA CAVEMAN RACING TEAM #88
CMRA #988
TMGP Dawg Pound#8 2009 F6 Endurance 1st place!
Future greasespot fo sho!
Greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Did anybody else's pucker on the warm up lap when we got to the back section and it was raining (hard sprinkle)?!?!
Didn't even notice the rain! I was too busy trying to get around a blue/red 600RR that kept motoring Falt and I on the straights.
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #20
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
Didn't even notice the rain! I was too busy trying to get around a blue/red 600RR that kept motoring Falt and I on the straights.
If I can make my skinny wide enough (horns out-Ben Spies Elbowz) to keep 2 quality riders like you and Falt behind me...then I can sleep well. I talked to Eric on Sunday about that battle we had. He enjoyed it as much as we did. Fun stuff for sure.

Congrats on your HWT result Ronnie.

Just you wait...the next area for me to work on is 'corner entry'.

Cya at Hallett!!