MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Need help getting 07 Ninja 250 w/ 630 miles on it to idle w/o choke...

Went out and tried to start my wife's bike last night. Started it w/ choke like normal then after a little bit, took the choke off and it died. It wouldn't restart at all unless the choke was on. It was late so I decided to wait until today to mess with it.

Went and tried again today and it just will NOT idle without the choke on (at least 1/2 choke too). Before today, we'd just start it with choke, turn the choke off about 3 min later and it'd idle on it's own after that. I've been messing with it for over and hour with no luck.

WTF is going on? Like I said, the bike has 630 miles on it, the filter is clean, the fuel is good (almost full tank too), etc. When I go to start it without the choke, it will just crank and crank whether I give it any throttle or not. Giving it throttle doesn't make the " cranking noise" change at all (not sure if it should, just comparing to my YZ80 which sounds diff when I kick it over with throttle turned vs not turned).

Can anyone help out. I don't know about carbs and really don't feel like pulling it off and farting with it considering again how new the bike is.

The bike does have extended warranty on it. Should we just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out? I HATE having others work on my stuff b/c they can claim the fault is all sorts of things that it might not really be and try to charge me for it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help, choke is not working well in kawasaki ninja 250cc ANKA How To's and Q & A's 16 10-25-2014 06:40 PM
07 Ninja 250 Fuel guage? fidelitas88 How To's and Q & A's 7 08-15-2008 08:25 AM
'07 Ninja 250: Major loss of power Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 08-10-2008 11:04 PM
Ninja 250 ride + whoever else 4/7/07 Spanish Fly Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-06-2007 07:03 PM
Fiddy won't idle with choke off MadseasoN How To's and Q & A's 7 08-14-2006 11:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Vandals
Scooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

have you checked your Idle screw?
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

adjust the idle
Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Blue91

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

I've messed with the idle screw plenty, from putting it all the way out (not touching) to all the way in (pushing the butterfly as much as it can). Neither does any good.

Also, when I go to give it throttle, it "dips" for a bit (hesitates) then picks up and revs up. Come to think of it, it's pretty much done that since we picked it up. It's always had a "hesitation" off of idle when trying to rev. Is that normal for this small carb'd motor or is it something else?

Anyone know if Motorcycles Unlimited is a factory approved location for my warranty (Kawi warranty)? I'd prefer to take it there over some place where I know nothing about their people.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

how long has it sat since last being run?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Vandals
Scooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Does it have clean gas in it? Could of gotten bad gas.
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

that is normal. does it idle once the bike warms up? if ur trying this cold thats just ur typical carbed motorcycle. try letting it warm up. ride around with the choke on then take it off choke and come home. put it on the kickstand and see if it will idle play with the idle while it is warmed up.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I would consider the gas. The new E85 gunks up really fast now and it may or may not need the carbs cleaned because of it sitting.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

May have some bad/ethanol gas. I've heard a couple people having issues with deposits gumming up the jets, and yours sounds like the idle jets may be crapped up.

How much gas is in the tank and is it cheap regular?
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Sorry went back and reread about the full tank.

Go pickup a can of Seafoam, dump in the tank (full can) then go ride it around and see if it will clear up.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Blue91

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

It's sat for about a month since last being started. It ran fine on the same fuel in the tank back then.

I've done all the messing around that I've done with the bike warm. I let it idle (with choke) in the driveway for quite a while and the temp gauge was over halfway between C and H.

I also did the whole "choke to start, ride away and turn choke off and keep riding. All that did was lead to the bike dying at every stop and I had to choke it to get it to start back up to keep going. The bike will not even "try" to fire without the choke, again, whether I use the throttle or not.

Considering how much fuel is in the tank, how long would it take for a can of 'seafoam' to run through it? WTH can I get 'seafoam'? I've heard about it before but never seen it at the parts stores (of course, never looked specifically for it but I've been to those stores plenty with my car stuff).

I'm going to be if the carbs are gunked up after 600 miles on this thing and I have to pull the bike apart. POS.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Blue91

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Also, how much does a "battery tender" run for motorcycles? I don't suppose I can use the one I have for my car on low 2a setting, now? I've just about killed the battery with the constant restarting of this thing while trying to figure out the problem.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue91 View Post
Also, how much does a "battery tender" run for motorcycles? I don't suppose I can use the one I have for my car on low 2a setting, now? I've just about killed the battery with the constant restarting of this thing while trying to figure out the problem.
I have one you can borrow for as long as you need.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

well sorry then i would have to be there to help. and i aint drivin that far right now.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
It's sat for about a month since last being started. It ran fine on the same fuel in the tank back then.

I've done all the messing around that I've done with the bike warm. I let it idle (with choke) in the driveway for quite a while and the temp gauge was over halfway between C and H.

I also did the whole "choke to start, ride away and turn choke off and keep riding. All that did was lead to the bike dying at every stop and I had to choke it to get it to start back up to keep going. The bike will not even "try" to fire without the choke, again, whether I use the throttle or not.

Considering how much fuel is in the tank, how long would it take for a can of 'seafoam' to run through it? WTH can I get 'seafoam'? I've heard about it before but never seen it at the parts stores (of course, never looked specifically for it but I've been to those stores plenty with my car stuff).

I'm going to be if the carbs are gunked up after 600 miles on this thing and I have to pull the bike apart. POS.
Seafoam can be found at walmart and so on. Also, Motorcycles Unlimited has some too.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

I had the same issue with my wifes 250 after it sat only 2 weeks. Took off the carbs and cleaned the jets and it ran fine. The new gas is mang.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Blue.... The carbs gunking up have nothing to do with mileage. You should pull the carb or carbs off and check the jets make sure everything is clean. Why would you have to adjust anything on the carbs. if it ran fine before ? I say carb. needs to be cleaned
Old 07-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #19
Blue91

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/hel...hoke-open.html

Looks like I need to try the seafoam and I need to ride the out of it for a while to get some of the gas through it. Joy. I don't have much time to do that and the weather is crappy.

Brad, if you want to watch UFC with us tonight, let me know. I'll give you directions.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
I Need $$$
Kickin' it old skool

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'12 Sportster Forty Eight

Send a message via AIM to I Need $$$
It's dead. Sell it to me cheap and I will dispose of it properly
I Need $$$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement