MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Should I get a PP, PP2CT, or PR2?

I recently got a Pilot Power front tire from a buddy of mine (thanks again Brad) and now need to get a 180/55 rear tire to go with it before I mount them up.

I mainly ride street (to/from work, occassional country rides) but I do plan on hitting up the track sometime soon. I want a tire that will provide plenty of traction for me in the twisties but something that will last a decent amount of miles too (bike tires/mounting is a lot more expensive than what I'm used to in the car hobby). I only have a 600 and I don't ride very fast at all but that could change at track days.

I've looked at the "specs" of the different tires and can't seem to come up with a conclusion on which one to get.

The Pilot Road 2 seems like it'd work well as far as longevity since it has a harder center, but it only gets a 4 (out of 5) in handling. The PP and PP2CT both get 5s. I don't ride crazy but would like to know my tire isn't going to slip out from under me when I finally go to the track. I've read up on previous threads and people said they had the Pilot Road 2s but I didn't see anyone talk about doing a track day with them so that's what I'm most interested in. Does anyone here have experience running the Pilot Road 2 at a track day?

If I should go with a PP or PP2ct, which one should I get? Again, when looking at the specs, the PP gets a 2 for track and 3 for commuting, while the PP2ct gets a 3 for track and 2 for commuting. So, part of me says go with the PP b/c it "seems" like it'd last longer for commuting but maybe not last as long or grip as good at the track as the PP2ct.

I really need help on deciding b/c I need to get the tire now (my back tire is bald and I want to ride now that the wedding is done!).

Also, what is the normal price for mounting/balancing front and rear tires. I wouldn't mind removing the wheels myself and taking them in for the mounting if that makes it cheaper. However, I don't know if I trust myself to get the back wheel/chain aligned properly afterwards. I can build an entire car from the chassis up so I'm sure I can. I'd just want someone there watching to make sure I did it correctly.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote