Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Big Country
Feedback Rating: (0)

BMX Baby!

Send a message via AIM to Big Country
The reason you got into motorcycles?

This might need to be moved to "Off Topic" wasnt sure where to post it.

Anyways, the reason im asking this is cause a friend of mine, not naming any names, tried to call me out saying that the only reason I want to get a bike is "to look cool" "cause of the image". I dont think there is anything wrong with that and I will honestly admit that is one of the reasons... but not the main reason(s)

I really have 2 main reasons that I want to get a bike and get into Motorcycles is 1. I work a lot of Saturday's and living in Missouri City and working in the Pearland/Friendswood/Alvin area I take HWY 6 to work everyday. And on Saturdays it is not uncommon for me to see at least 10-15 bikes on my way home from work at around noon to 1:00. And every Saturday im thinking to myself " I wish I could do that". And there have been many many many great looking days where I have thought to myself " if I had a bike today would be the perfect day to ride it to work" or just go for a ride.

The other reason is since I got on MotoHouston I have looked at the Events, Meets and rides forum and most of the posts have places that different people from around the city are going to meet at on their respective sides of town to ride to these events and im always thinking to myself " that would be awesome to be able to do that".

There is also that sense of comradery I always see, its not too often that I see 2 bikes pass each other and not wave to one another

Those are my main reasons, whats yours?
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the reason PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 19 04-12-2009 11:10 AM
let's hear your reason witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 128 07-04-2008 03:41 PM
For some reason.... BigComfy Off Topic 0 02-11-2008 04:51 PM
Need a reason to go ? ScooterTrash Off Topic 10 10-05-2006 10:59 PM
what's the reason for........... paniro187 The Circus 45 02-27-2006 10:41 PM
Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Tha chix mang!
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Formerly BM250r
Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

to become the greatest poser...

Honestly i like to ride bikes and due to gas prices...
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
To meet men...
'03 VStrom 1k "Wilbur"
'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
moving chicane

When I was young, it was my only mode of transportation can't afford a car and don't want payments. Few years ago, I got back on 2 wheels because of American choppers. I went from cruiser to sport because of speed and attire/gears. It's about the speed, for me.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Becoming a regular here

my mom only bought a bike for my bro, so i bought one with my own money.. o yeah it does feel good on a bike!!! hitting the curve is my fave
R1CHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Pure Awesome
Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

I got one because I thought they where kewl I keep riding because I love it. I try to explain it to people and I can't. It's like you and the machine are one, after a while it feel like you are just flying close to the ground. The freedom I feel on my bike is amazing, I wouldn't give it up for anything.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #8

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

'09 V Star 950

Member Garage

I got into dirt bikes when I was young(er)... now I just like to escape my sometimes extremely stressful life. I have always been into fast cars, but motorcycles are a lot cheaper and a lot more fun IMO.
58marcosimoncellimotogp 2 preview big
chadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #9

Member Garage

looked cool at first in jr. high riding small street bikes/dirt bikes. years and years later though, it was really to help take away all the bullsh1t going on in your life.

kinda like starting to smoke to look cool, but when you really inhale the first time and you get that "moment of clarity", you understand why at that point
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #10

Because there was a point when I was a kid where the bicycle just wouldn't go fast enough any more.
ASICS 2000
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
veteran novice
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

07 sv650!

Member Garage

i got into motorcycles by accident. i was really into my old miata and drifting. some dude on a forum for miata drifting posted his bike in the for sale section. it was an old yamaha fzr i think. but it had all sorts of work done to it and it was a mash up of a couple of different bikes or something. i thought it looked very cool. at the time i was driving a lot of backroads for fun and just wanted to be able to get into the curves more and feel the speed more. the miata was as close as i could get to the ground at that speed, but it was also getting old. the miata started hurting my back and knees because i am too tall for it and have bad legs. i took a dude on craigslist up on his offer of a decent condition wrecked sv650 with no inspection or registration. the bike has finally gained my love, even after i almost sold it a couple of times here and on craigslist. i still have a few little preference and comfort issues with the bike, but i will love to ride forever.
loosenoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Dirty Old
Feedback Rating: (1)

05 FZ1

.. I dont like heights, and it looks better than sticking my head out of the window like the dog.
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
The Chosen One
Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

it makes my bigger.
Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
Squiding It

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

GSXR 600

1. bc i wanted to get into track racing...i feel that its the ultimate point of speed and skill that a person can acheive

2. few friends got bike got tired of following them around in my car lol
NiS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
Feedback Rating: (15)

Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
.. I dont like heights, and it looks better than sticking my head out of the window like the dog.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #16
Feedback Rating: (3)

650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
mode of transportation while my car was broke.... then the Whoolies
cody Rules
Cody_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #17
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

None at the moment..... :-(

Whoolies is definetely a reason.....
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
So is refusing to give it up.

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #18
One day at a time!

Experience: 6 years

99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Growing up we had everything from 3-wheelers, snow mobiles and odyssey's/dune buggy's. My grandfather owned a dirt bike track, my stepfather and uncle rode motorcycles, so it was just natural for me to crave a motorcycle. The first time my stepfather placed on the back of his bike and took me for ride way back when I was in preschool, I knew I'd have my own when I grew up. Unfortunately due to having kids I put off getting my own bike, and settled for riding on the back of a bike. You can only stand riding on the back for so long and having to depend on someone else to want to take you out riding, not to mention the whole lack of control. So, a couple years ago...I finally sucked it up and bought my own. There is nothing quite like the feel of powering your own truly is a form of therapy all its own.

As for the whole looking cool bit...I never really thought about whether I would look cool, and in all honesty...I don't think anybody looks cool with sweat down to your knees and sweat soaked hair when you take off that helmet after a day of riding in Houston summer. Yet, I wouldn't give that up for anything in the world

Now if only I could find a great excuse to buy a jetski
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 AM   #19
Staatsfeind Nr. 1
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
heres my reason

Just started riding myself. 1 year anniversary in august.

A buddy was selling a 2005 CBR @ 2K, took a chance and thought wow . . i'll buy it and sell it on cl, 30 minutes after post @ 3k, that badboy was gone and sold. I was hooked on that make quick money rush. nxt was another bike he had, a 2003 katana. Wow . . that mfkr was hard to sell!!!! eventually i ran outta gas, this of course because i made sure i turn that sucker on everyday, so I fell a few, layed it down a few, after 10 days of doing this dumb , i finally got it to that gas station, hit the pavement on some parking lots in galleria and here i am - disgustingly hooked on them. sold that pos and bought a 05 R6.

but to answer the question, i was browsing thru my picture collection, and ran into a old photo at 10 years of age, riding motorcycles, brought all my childhood memories back and I'd say, it's simply in my blood.

hughes40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Feedback Rating: (3)

08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I got into motocycles when I was 18. none of my friends had a streetbike but for some reason I just had to have one.
I wanted to cruise the seawall and pick up slimmies, or go back and forth to work.

that lasted about a few years, then I found out what real motorcycle riding is when I went on a forest ride with sixshooter and hellfroze.
was soon addicted to twisties
Hooligan-Awarded "Most improved on the track" 2008
Originally Posted by ThomAss View Post
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote