MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

steering bearing on cbr f4

Anyone replace their steering bearings at home? I work in a Kawasaki shop, so I can take my bike in and do it there, but then that means I am missing out on paying work...or I can do it at home, and i just wanted to know if at home is too much hassle without a press...
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tool need it. (help please) steering bearing floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-16-2012 09:34 AM
cbr f4 i J-ryder How To's and Q & A's 2 11-26-2011 02:52 AM
steering head bearing?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-08-2011 01:38 PM
CBR 600 F4 Help... Again. the_grey_john General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 08-21-2008 03:15 PM
just got cbr 600 f4 *look* Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-14-2006 05:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
String her up to the rafters, pull the rack, disassemble the forks and bring that piece into work(for lower race.) Do your bearings press into the collar?

Knock it out through the center with an extention/hammer and press it in with a studded rebar rode and two large washers/nuts throught the frame collar. Had a wrecked one I disassembled but was a GSXR and it was in pieces.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

one set of races is pressed in the collar, the other set is pressed on the stem. lots of fun! i only have just under 3k miles as well, but the bike had been down hard at 1900 miles (before i got it). yesterday i got the lovely clunk when braking...i did tighten up the adjustment a little while i am waiting for parts to come in though, that seems to help a lot actually, the adjusting nut was loose...
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

W the bike off the ground do you have alot of movement forward and back in the forks from the bearing?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
W the bike off the ground do you have alot of movement forward and back in the forks from the bearing?

so little that i might even be imagining it. before i tightened up the adjustment nut it would make a clunk when i held the brakes and pushed forward on the bike. Now there is a barely felt tick when i do that. i need to check the force needed to turn the bars though, i do not have nay specialty tools at home...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Do you have a repair book for it? what year we can look online. The busa's needed to be adjusted cause it was a hair loose. It walked you through the whole thing and all my movement went away and the steering wasn't stiffened either so I knew I wasn't wearing down the bearings.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

yeah i got the manual in pdf....the procedure for tightening them uses a spring scale to determine how much force is used to turn the fork, i may tighten it up a bit more though since the triple tree comes off so fast. when i tightened it up today, the lock nut was less than finger tight, so i did a 1/4 turn on the adjsuter nut and tightened the lock nut down a lot more tightly...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

The adjuster nuts need to have a preload on them when the nut gets torqued... that's what takes up the extra movement in the assembly and seats the bearings in the races...

worse comes to worse, you tighten it a little too much and then need to replace them in the future but you'll have the parts... And the adjustment you could do in the parking lot at your shop/work fairly quickly without using a lift or taking up shop room...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

thanks for talking me through this, i worked on cars for years, and just started riding and took a job at a local service garage at the same time. So my diagnostic skills are still pretty weak....though I am good at fixing the problem (when i figure it out!). I am going to tighten it up a bit more tomorrow at work, i am riding to houston tomorrow night and then to lufkin on friday, so i want it working right...i am going to get the bearing set to keep on hand though.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Cool sounds good... Im gonna PM you my number... Never know when I might have a question too...

Im a mastertech at BMW Houston North at 1960; and I live in the woodlands so Im not far from you...

As for diagnostics, remember everything you see is the effect not the cause... usually there's something thats effecting everything together and its usually the simplest solution. Im a visual person myself... so I need to try to imagine it...

GL w it... text if you need anything; Like blue locktite or a torque wrench so you don't lose ur nuts...(hahaha... sorry, couldn't help it...)

Advertisement