MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Forum Updates & Feedback
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Your feelings about Poll Results:
It furiates me how the moderators modify the poll results 9 18.00%
I am mildly annoyed at how the moderators modify the poll results 8 16.00%
I don't care if the moderators modify the poll results 3 6.00%
I think it's funny how the moderators modify the poll results 7 14.00%
I wish I could modify the poll results 8 16.00%
You mean the results aren't our actual feelings on things? 9 18.00%
I DO modify the poll results! 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #81
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
I think if we as members helped mods stay on top of stuff by using the report post button, the little red yield looking sign, to alert them to threads that are getting to off topic that would help.

I personally think mods should be Switzerland about everything. I am all for having a separate mod account as long as they keep it neutral. But to be a mod and be an is not cool. if your mods are hated by the majority of your members, somethings wrong.
+1...there are many features of this site that the majority of members are not aware of...such as mobile.motohouston.com or the late chatbox or iTrader ratings...I think we could do a better job of making members aware of the features they could be using but do not even know exist.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Roberts reluctantly reveals Ron Paul's results of the SC debate twitter poll. da1hobo The Circus 21 01-18-2012 09:48 PM
Evolution YES or NO Vote Now :modified poll DepPravacion The Circus 128 06-23-2010 10:20 AM
xr50 modified to a 110 /K5 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 30 04-25-2009 12:07 PM
Busa with modified cans BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-28-2006 01:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #82
Scatter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
+1...there are many features of this site that the majority of members are not aware of...such as mobile.motohouston.com or the late chatbox or iTrader ratings...I think we could do a better job of making members aware of the features they could be using but do not even know exist.
i didn't even notice itrader until you said something!

also, maybe an informative pm sent out to all new registering member? a few paragraphs explaining how to use the forum, about the itrader, important rules they need to know, what the colors of screen names mean, etc.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #83
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
i didn't even notice itrader until you said something!

also, maybe an informative pm sent out to all new registering member? a few paragraphs explaining how to use the forum, about the itrader, important rules they need to know, what the colors of screen names mean, etc.
agreed. man i want to keep discussing but i have to be up in 6 hours. look forward to seeing this thread by morning. g'night all!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #84
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Contributions are a good point - effortless to set up and I would surely contribute!

And scatter you Definitely have some very good points to offer! Experience obviously gives you a running start.
I know I am guilty of not using the Report Post button. I honestly feel like nothing will be done about it.
We've all heard "You can't get rid of the off topic, or you'd have like 100 members total after it's all said and done." but what about separating the two? That's where I really liked the chatbox.
I also have no problems with multiple accounts for mods. I actually prefer it, so that way they can goof off when they want, and also can get serious when need be. At least that way there is a definite line, rather than a blur somewhere in between.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #85
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
Contributions are a good point - effortless to set up and I would surely contribute!

And scatter you Definitely have some very good points to offer! Experience obviously gives you a running start.
I know I am guilty of not using the Report Post button. I honestly feel like nothing will be done about it.
We've all heard "You can't get rid of the off topic, or you'd have like 100 members total after it's all said and done." but what about separating the two? That's where I really liked the chatbox.
I also have no problems with multiple accounts for mods. I actually prefer it, so that way they can goof off when they want, and also can get serious when need be. At least that way there is a definite line, rather than a blur somewhere in between.
+1....When MH gets a contribution setup and running right, I will be there to donate 50 bucks...and you can hold me to that.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #86
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

no need for contributions... the sponsors take care of that...we just ask you take care of THEM...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #87
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

The informative PM is a great idea! I know at Sprint when someone sets up a new phone line, they get a welcome call - telling them about their bill and how to check your minutes, etc.. If it works for huge companies, it can't hurt for small ones.

iTrader is very important as well. The only flaw with this system is that there is no incentive to leave feedback, other than the hope that the other person will do the same for you. (which I have not had happen before on other sites). I have not been able to come up with a way to create incentive for people to leave feedback though.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #88
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
no need for contributions... the sponsors take care of that...we just ask you take care of THEM...
I'm glad you're keeping up with this, Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #89
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
the chat box thing was a test, we really didnt want EVERYONE to use it...it took up huge resources with the little traffic it got, which is why I was canned for now, we are still looking into the possibility of something of the like

as far as the other little gadgets.. most people that know of them and how to use them,.....dont.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #90
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

+1

But chris could they hurt? I mean myself I have only been able to support the sponsors a few times. But straight contributions I would do in a heartbeat.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #91
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Thank you and I do when possible, and I hope others to as well!! Unfortunately in my position, there are not many opportunities. The system you have works for the majority, which is the most important thing!

Last edited by Squanto84; 07-01-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Squanto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #92
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
the chat box thing was a test, we really didnt want EVERYONE to use it...it took up huge resources with the little traffic it got, which is why I was canned for now, we are still looking into the possibility of something of the like

as far as the other little gadgets.. most people that know of them and how to use them,.....dont.
Yeah, I was hoping for a better turnout on the chatbox.
Aslo, are there any other 'gadgets' that we have not brought up? (iTrader, Report Post button, ??)
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #93
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Silverfudge might know of a few more lol

keep in mind that he is constantly working behind the scenes to make mh what it is.. there isnt much that He or I dont think of. So, if it will work and we like it, we normally implement it, otherwise, we pass on it.

keep the thread going, dont it up, im going beddy bye
Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #94
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

I am going to sleep as well. Hopefully the thread will remain intact later on in the day.
Other things to mention:
300 count Private messaging (up from 100!)
-you can download your messages in different formats if you really want to hang onto them. Less clog on the server, no chance that people can't PM you because your box is full.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #95
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Silverfudge might know of a few more lol

keep in mind that he is constantly working behind the scenes to make mh what it is.. there isnt much that He or I dont think of. So, if it will work and we like it, we normally implement it, otherwise, we pass on it.

keep the thread going, dont it up, im going beddy bye
+1 silver is a great guy and I know he dedicates alot of time and work to MH! Thank you both.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #96
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

also keep in mind that we have never said this forum was a democracy....its always been a dictatorship. lol

Unlike alot of forum promising anarchy etc(where there are no rules and you can do/say anything without reprocussions.) lol

We do try to please the masses as much as I/we can.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #97
Scatter

Experience: 4-8 months

original post

a little OT, but still something i wanted to say. I posted this months ago on a stolen bike thread and it wasn't really addressed.

i wanted to comment on the theory that it could be someone on here.

this is a public forum, the only thing you cannot see when not logged in is "find other posts by memberx". that means anyone can see what you have for sale, what you ride, what your phone number is. i've noticed so many people listing phone numbers in the FSOT section. using this, most people can figure out where you live, by reverse looking up your phone number posted. Using first names all over the forum also. anyone can call someone and claim to be memberx first name whatever and get more info from them if that person has never met the member someone is impersonating. someone can even register and lurk and have even more access to you, by searching all your previous posts and putting it together that maybe you live in an apartment and leave your bike out.

i would think the easiest way to solve this is hide the FSOT section from public access. but even that wouldn't be much success because then they can register and lurk. i know restricting post count before access to the FSOT section has already been discussed, but it might be something for the mods and admins to discuss and see what is best for the group.

just my 0.02
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #98
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

does anybody else thinks it kind of strange to have a poll on how we feel about modified poll results?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #99
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick87 View Post
does anybody else thinks it kind of strange to have a poll on how we feel about modified poll results?

i think this whole modified poll thing has been blown out of proportion...

when i've seen it done, it's usually to a thread that was gag to begin with... and like chris said it's usually just one value is set to something like 8762346482364...

those polls shouldn't have been taken serious to begin with...

somebody post up the internet - serious business pic pls...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #100
Scotsman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Squanto,
I understand your deal about the polls being modified, and I agree that they should not be in most cases.

However, at the end of the day, if a silly poll is put up and the modification is done in jest, there doesn't seem to be much reason to get upset about it.

Now, on to business; Something that can be done to make the forum better is consistency.

You're right, some things get caught, while others don't.
Despite what most people think, the mods don't / can't read EVERY post or thread, so some things get through.

Here's how you can help; if it's a serious discussion that begins to get PW'd, redirect it yourself or if that doesn't work or there's a more serious issue, report the post using the ! sign on the lower left hand of each post window and the mods will check it out.

If someone is being abusive or even if a mod is abusing his powers, report the post or send one of the admin a pm with specifics and a link to what had happened.

I've been involved with lots of moto forums, and this one is by far the most lenient / easygoing one around.
The few people who generally get their panties in a wad over the mods or the way the forum is run are usually the ones that don't follow the few rules we have and get upset because they get called on it.

The possible exception to that would be those that got upset with Racer X, but that's a moot point now.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement