MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #441
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
I understand speeding and everything. I like to do like 80-90 through the forest when posteds are 55-60 but seriously....****, WTF?
Possibly the rubber band effect. Rider up front might be running the pace at 70-75, but as riders in the group slow down for turns and speed up through exits, the back of the group gets spread out farther and eventually have to "catch up" at triple-digit speeds to get the pack back together. It's especially common in larger groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
And we always welcome any rider, experience is a plus
I'm working today, otherwise I might have been out there with y'all this morning. I's be leading these guys:
Quote:
we had a few w low mileage on their bikes that were practicing corners for first time. Im proud of them and the individual time I spent with them throughout the ride there(front group 3) and back(u know who u r, awesome job...). They had a great time, riding at their pace, their comfort. 3090 is a no-joke road; also a great one to learn on w enough patience, restraint and considerate riders around you.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 07-05-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: no posting of illegal speeds
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th of July jimmy the gent The Circus 2 07-08-2014 05:05 PM
Anyone want to ride after July 4th? noy609 Cruisers Lounge 1 06-12-2013 05:05 AM
4th of july... obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 27 07-04-2012 12:34 PM
4th of july pester Off Topic 3 07-04-2012 07:56 AM
July 4th weekend CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 06-28-2005 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #442
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
And I might add that perhaps even a more baby duckling group needs to be in place for absolute group noobs that are still getting their feet wet. Even the posted warning speed on a curve can be too much for them.
Good point; three weeks ago the one whom went down was first curve, one day old bike, honey egypt(miles from the forest.) But that was unknown.

When we got hits from low post counts we checked intro forums to see how much experience they had. Some may cringe if I say how much experience one had... but Im proud of him. We PMed then texted and I ensured he could ride at highway speeds and take corners to what I considered a desireable degree before I was pleased to invite him. And the ride from Spring to the 290 meet was perfect cuz I evalutated the whole way. That was the best I could do as a leader of the third group; try to discern and watch for what I can.

Like I say, before I get off my soap box: we do really care for everyone that rides with us. And there is so much fellowship and experience and plain ol' fun that these rides can offer. I remember a certain someone on a 600 now but she started on a 250 and was scared to death she wouldnt keep up but never got out of a pack cuz we always accomidated her and others. She hadn't missed a ride(that I'm aware of.)

Im off my soap box... sorry for writing so much... my fellow Bros and Sis' on here are family when we share the adventure of two wheels together.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #443
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
It's all speeding.. and you are just as dead at 80 as 150..
I disagree, there's a reason none of the folks in the slower groups died when they had their mishaps. Had one of the guys in the fast group gone off-roading, it would have been a totally different story.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #444
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Send a message via AIM to bigpat728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
that guy was in a single vehicle accident. he didnt take anyone out. there were no other bikes around him or any off riders for that matter.

remember there where two guys in the second group that went down on 3090. he is one of them
bigpat728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #445
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The unfortunate truth about publically posted group rides is that you will get a potpourri mix of riders and skills.

The bigger the group, the greater the spread between can and cannot. And the fact is, all you can do is ask people to be honest and pick the spot they feel that they can handle. More often than not that changes as the day goes on.

No one wants to go in the beginner group.. that ego thing. But it really behooves you to be honest with yourself, because the leaders and sweepers really, really, REALLY want you to have a good time and go home in the same shape you came out in. No one will think less of you; actually we'll be proud to have you along.

Trust me.. when you are leading and someone goes down, you do a lot of soul searching and "what if" questions... even when they admit they messed up. That's the nature of the beast.

All those that have never set up or lead a group ride feel free to sit on the sidelines and toss stones. We'll still welcome you to come out anytime.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #446
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
Quote:
Originally Posted by otra599 View Post
+1 to Cali for mentioning the troops. If it wasn't for them, wouldn't be celebrating today!

First off, props to Joe for putting together a great ride! IMO he did everything right (except the directions mishap)

I was behind the guy that went down in the intermediate group. IMO he should have been in the 3rd group and he wasn't the only one riding with us that I think should have been in the 3rd group.
Guys, leave your egos at home and ride to your ability. When you push beyond your ability to keep up with the guy in front of you, not only are you putting your life at risk but your now risking my life and the guy behind me and the guy behind him and so on. Follow the rules of the ride. Nuf said.
Agree 100%.

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #447
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I disagree, there's a reason none of the folks in the slower groups died when they had their mishaps. Had one of the guys in the fast group gone off-roading, it would have been a totally different story.
I will almost guarantee that those went down were going much slower than that.. with the possible exception of the one that wadded up in the Forest on his own, at his own pace.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #448
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
All those that have never set up or lead a group ride feel free to sit on the sidelines and toss stones. We'll still welcome you to come out anytime.
I've participated in rides, led rides, etc. However, I feel that my previous ride experience holds no importance when questioning why people are cruising at speeds of 150+ in a ride with 10+ people.

Just because someone didn't participate in this ride(for reasons that were obvious after the ride report for why I didn't go) doesn't mean they are new to the scene
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #449
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
The unfortunate truth about publically posted group rides is that you will get a potpourri mix of riders and skills.

No one wants to go in the beginner group.. that ego thing.
At Yankees I called the Forest Rides a 'HighSchool' w the jocks up front and chess club in the rear

Check your ego at the door. A busa is leading the Last group and there are no chicken strips and I dont mind dropping a knee. I dont wanna hear excuses, I want people to have fun period.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #450
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Sqeeky I hear ya on the rubber band thing, but I specifically put out that we wait for everyone, so there is no need to ride out of your limits. It just boils down to wrist control. People get out on 149, which is pretty f ing strait, and just go at it, uneeded. I was leading at a comfortable pace. Some of the group stopped for gas or something, with the sweeper. It shouldn't have happened, since I told everyone to top off at the NW meet spot. The had a sweeper and we waited for them at the railroad tracks. There simply was no hurry. Then the group got split due to the incident in the forest. Some went on to Anderson, and that is where I assume the DVL Racer quote comes from. They went off on their own without me leading, so again personal restraint would have been key. But to each their own... They are adults with bikes and licences to ride them. I set a pace, it is up to them to abide by it.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #451
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
I will almost guarantee that those went down were going much slower than that.. with the possible exception of the one that wadded up in the Forest on his own, at his own pace.
Okay, but I think you missed the point. What I said was in direct response to what I quoted from you.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #452
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
All in all though, I had a great ride.

Thanks again Joe for putting it on, and thanks to all the leaders and sweepers for making this ride possible.

looking forward to more

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #453
Nox

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat728 View Post
remember there where two guys in the second group that went down on 3090. he is one of them
where was the other guy that went down? the guy in that pic was alone and i stopped at his accident after leaving yankees.

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #454
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Id ride w DVLracer anytime. He is a very considerate rider and I recall once we were riding back from a meet and greet and he decided to check out earlier then originally planned on the free way. We waved and took off. He called and appologized for leaving early. He is a very considerate and safe rider. Both pluses in my book.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #455
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Some went on to Anderson, and that is where I assume the DVL Racer quote comes from. They went off on their own without me leading, so again personal restraint would have been key. But to each their own...
Don't assume, I pointed out the thread it came from. In the thread he clearly states he was one of the guys riding with the fast group. Nothing against you Tiatool, I've heard nothing but good things about your rides and your ability to organize & lead them. I just can't understand why someone would even want to do 150+ on a backroad like that, especially for extended periods of time.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #456
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

it's thanks to guys like caligonetx, tiatool, maxgs, brooklyn, hooligan, cdill, kdub and several others that I've grown as much as I have as a rider in such a short time. they put together some great rides and really show the noobs some how it's done out there and give as many tips as one can think of before the ride even begins.

they've always kept the pace at appropriate speeds; but there are always people who feel the need to prove just how fast they can go and that's not something the leaders/sweepers can control.

just my $0.02
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #457
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I've participated in rides, led rides, etc. However, I feel that my previous ride experience holds no importance when questioning why people are cruising at speeds of 150+ in a ride with 10+ people.

Just because someone didn't participate in this ride(for reasons that were obvious after the ride report for why I didn't go) doesn't mean they are new to the scene
Not gonna argue semantics. Hitting 150 and cruising at that speed are entirely different things. I can get to over 160 and back down in under a mile or so from a stop; ain't nothing to come off a corner at 80-90 and twist the wrist a bit for the next straight. Not my style, but since the majority are adults, if they choose to take off and do that on their own, that is up to them.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #458
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
Id ride w DVLracer anytime. He is a very considerate rider and I recall once we were riding back from a meet and greet and he decided to check out earlier then originally planned on the free way. We waved and took off. He called and appologized for leaving early. He is a very considerate and safe rider. Both pluses in my book.
Thanks Matt, right back at ya
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #459
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:

The bigger the group, the greater the spread between can and cannot. And the fact is, all you can do is ask people to be honest and pick the spot they feel that they can handle. More often than not that changes as the day goes on.

No one wants to go in the beginner group.. that ego thing. But it really behooves you to be honest with yourself, because the leaders and sweepers really, really, REALLY want you to have a good time and go home in the same shape you came out in. No one will think less of you; actually we'll be proud to have you along.

Trust me.. when you are leading and someone goes down, you do a lot of soul searching and "what if" questions... even when they admit they messed up. That's the nature of the beast.

Well said. That is almost exactly word for word what I said at the group meeting as far as choosing which group you would fit into. When I got to Yankees I was very disapointed in the incidents on the way over. It is basically a matter of #'s. No matter how careful you think you are, how many responsible leaders and sweepers, people still go down. Things just happen on two wheels.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #460
smokinjoe
SeŮor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯į□į)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
yeah tiatool , i personally believe your organizing and leading was top notch and i'm sure everyone agrees - with this many riders stuffs going to happen,,, btw I had a blast today and can't wait for the next forest ride!
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement