Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Gear Law & Helmet Law
SHOULD BE required for everyones benefit and overall safety of motorcycling community 44 50.00%
SHOULD NOT required, everyeone should be free to ride without gear or helmets 40 45.45%
I really don't know where I stand, would have to hear the arguments before deciding 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #101
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerzy View Post
I have to say that it should be left to an individual to choose whether or not to wear a helmet or any gear for that matter. Safety laws were originally intended so that one persons decision didn't have a negative impact on somebody else. These kinds of decisions effect nobody else's health other than the person that made the decision. Me not wearing a helmet will have no negative health effects on you if we were to get into some sort of accident. This is also why I do not agree with seatbelt laws(different discussion different day).
People need to start realizing what laws were intended to do from day one...

I also don't agree with the bs that these decisions raise health insurance, car/bike insurance, and whatever else you want to blame on the lack of said laws... Particularly health insurance... Can we start regulating what your fat eats because you raise my health insurance. How bout they outlaw cigarettes because my smoking raises your rates. Should cancer patients be denied coverage because they have cancer? That would lower my rate also...

I'll finish by saying I am always wearing a helmet, pants and boots! That is my decision to do that... Lets let natural selection do its job!

did you see the story of the japanese gov't fining companies with employees with a 36.6 in. or greater waist line?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet law Crash Jackson General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-09-2012 02:47 PM
helmet law lightlord General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 12-16-2011 04:40 PM
Spirt of the Law or Letter of the Law? Which are you? CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 34 09-10-2009 07:12 AM
Motorcycles law enforcement(law enf please enter) camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-24-2009 09:03 AM
SCOOTERTRASH IS A LAW BREAKIN OUT LAW! Solracer Off Topic 29 10-03-2006 04:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #102
bignmz04
My better is better

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_Claire View Post
I am willing to bet that I will get flamed for this (by the other half.)

I am all for rules and regulations to be put into place.

1.4 wheeled vehicles have them for their own safety,
2.18 wheelers and other commercial vehicles have them for their own safety.
3. Power and sail boats have then.

Therefore, motorcycle and scooter should have similar rules and regulations as well.
A lot of those rules were actually initiated by a large mass of united EMPLOYEES. as what you mentioned are part of their occupation. show me the what the recreational boaters have as far as government mandated regulations reaching the scale as high as you suggested.

speak with facts not from emotion.

Quote:
Neither do motorcycles. They do however, have rules and regulations regarding safe operating procedures, whatever they may be.
occupational and recreational have two different standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
well the problem lies with me in health insurance. There are already several health insurance companies that refuse to provide coverage to peeps who engage in motorcycling. So for those that ride without a helmet and suffer brain damage and have to have assisted living for the rest of their lives it costs the insurance companies money which they then trickle down to me who has to flip a higher bill. That is assuming I will have health coverage in the future because I motorcycle. Congress already has ignored the petition to make insurance companies provide coverage to those who motorcycle so there is nothing to stop them if gets out of hand.
what about those that wear a helmet and are paralyzed.
we chose to go from point a to point b on a bike over a car. no one is forcing us. than my opinion on your gear and insurance idea.

Quote:
I have a similar story but I will let Bignmz04 (the immediate victim) and the person who is the biggest proponent for the right to wear or not wear gear tell it.

I guess all the people who crash without gear are the ones who are the loudest "personal rights" supporters or something?
whats to tell. everybody knows it. I crashed without gear at 60 mph. cracked my scull and am here. and???

you last paragraph makes no sense. I choose freedom of choice first with my wreck withstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
but it does hurt us.. all of us.. with higher insurance rates.. more laws mandated by the state... higher health care rates. lots of issues..
do geared peeps not wreck and injure themselves?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #103
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
that is what i have been trying to say... but then I got called a tyrant
If the shoe fits.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #104
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
If the shoe fits then kick the out of peeps.

fixed,lol
Old 06-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #105
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
If the shoe fits.
why are you so mean jeff?

you hurt feelings

Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #106
peruvian

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki gsx-r600

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to peruvian
dang the results suck!!
option number 1 FTMFW!!!!
peruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #107
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by peruvian View Post
dang the results suck!!
option number 1 FTMFW!!!!
exactly....OPTION
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #108
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
! yall still beatin on that horse
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #109
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

what?

I like beatin on my horse co..................sorry. wifeys running around the house nekkid again........
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #110
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Ride naked ftw
Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #111
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
did you see the story of the japanese gov't fining companies with employees with a 36.6 in. or greater waist line?
I haven't seen that story, but you know that would never fly over here... and to me it seems for the same reasons when talking about these gear issues.

People need to start making decisions for themselves based on common sense, morals, and ethics. Big brother does not need to be involved. I will almost always wear full gear, but I still would like the option to ride the bike around the block before changing the oil without a helmet or ride around the corner to pick up a pack of smokes.

A perfect example of what should happen took place today on our forest ride... Everyone had on their gear. Some might not have liked it but did it so the group would not get mad and/or look down upon them. Education is where the gear issue needs to be addressed not in the law books.
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #112
mightymouse1

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
but it does hurt us.. all of us.. with higher insurance rates.. more laws mandated by the state... higher health care rates. lots of issues..
you can't do anything about that. i might be wrong,but it will be expensive for that age group that's killing themselves or making claims. 25 and under and the mid life crises farts.
mightymouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #113
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse1 View Post
you can't do anything about that. i might be wrong,but it will be expensive for that age group that's killing themselves or making claims. 25 and under and the mid life crises farts.
I must say this community does a pretty good job bashing people for not wearing gear. There was a stretch of time I didn't wear anything going to the local salsa bar for the evening. How many accounts does that seem irresponsible?

With rides that require gear, posts about riders going down and awareness issue of self preservation and protection we can't protect everyone but we do a good job of making the issue aware to the riders on this forum. A small part but its only a matter of how much time and energy we want to allocate to that cause.

As for me, I think the MSF instructors should be able to slingshot a rock at each new rider without their helmets on. So they get an idea what may happen without gear. Sometimes it seems people cant make decisions for themselves that would benefit them. I know riders that refuse to wear helmets cuz they think the girls driving around wouldn't be attracted to them as much since they wouldn't see their face. Most of them are still single; maybe if they lost 30 or 50 lbs they could wear a helmet; better yet, dont buy a bike to try to get that attention. The choices we make effect our future.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #114
mightymouse1

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

it bothers the heck out of me when people don't wear helmets or full gear,especially the female passengers. i get angry with them because of my line of work. they get out there,go down,get rashed up or head trauma with no helmet and want you to give the something for pain in route to the hospital or soon as the roll through the doors. i smile and chuckle. i want to tell them so bad,"you were tough man/woman when you got on the bike with no gear,now pay the price biotch!!!"
Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #115
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
it bothers the heck out of me when people don't wear helmets or full gear,especially the female passengers. i get angry with them because of my line of work. they get out there,go down,get rashed up or head trauma with no helmet and want you to give the something for pain in route to the hospital or soon as the roll through the doors. i smile and chuckle. i want to tell them so bad,"you were tough man/woman when you got on the bike with no gear,now pay the price biotch!!!"

hehe.... that's another thing... you get better treatment from hospital staff when you wear gear.... those who come in with no gear get no sympathy.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #116
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:

That's very true. alot of my friends didn't like to wear gear especially if they were riding my extra bike cuz they were afraid others won't realize they are women... WTF... Give me my keys back... I assure you, they will be able to tell...

But I heard this alot too... I don't wanna wear a helmet and mess up my hair.... Yes, and the wind will not be a deciding factor in this.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #117
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
hehe.... that's another thing... you get better treatment from hospital staff when you wear gear.... those who come in with no gear get no sympathy.
No sympathy FOR gear itself cuz my boots velcro together and they still wanna cut them off.... FREAKS WITH THOSE SCISSORS!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #118
mightymouse1

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
No sympathy FOR gear itself cuz my boots velcro together and they still wanna cut them off.... FREAKS WITH THOSE SCISSORS!
LOL!!! ^^^^^^

+1 on the sympathy if you have full gear. hopefully,that person wasn't acting an when they crashed
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #119
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Wow! 6 pages since I last loggen in! Good stuff guys.

So I see the poll is ALMOST evenly split. I support freedom, but I'd like more comments from each of ya'll in reference to the "healthcare and other factors" that some claim "RISE" with the care of the injured that don't wear gear.

First, we know that gear doesn't alone save you. Good riding skills and a sound responsible head make all the difference, BUT gear can help we'd agree when those unforseens come up.

if you wreck and are taken to the hospital without gear, or killed....how does this effect the economy overall? Give me some generals and some specifics, especially if your knowledge base is strong in overall ecomonics and healthcare knowledge etc.

Keep it up, this is interesting discussion. It's especially interesting to see those that have wrecked and suffered STILL support the decision to choose. Very very interesting since you'd assume they'd be the biggest pushers for REQUIRING.

Give me some overall pictures of the dynamics of how it affects insurance, healthcare and the public overall as you'd present to your congressman.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #120
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
602  image 09
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement