MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Gear Law & Helmet Law
SHOULD BE required for everyones benefit and overall safety of motorcycling community 44 50.00%
SHOULD NOT required, everyeone should be free to ride without gear or helmets 40 45.45%
I really don't know where I stand, would have to hear the arguments before deciding 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #81
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
that is where the helmet law gets complex and there hasn't been a good fix to the situation. you believe to each his own and I believe in helmet laws. welcome to the discussion. call it a soapbox if you want. I'll preach gear to all my friends. always have, always will. Why do you wear gear on the track? Because you want to or because you have to just to ride? If track riding is so much safer then riding street why would you want less gear for something more dangerous?
i wear gear at the track for both reasons...

1) to save my when i crash (my personal choice, like i stated)
2) because you have to before u can even set a tire on the track

but as far as the street goes.... i think every rider should have the right to decide for their own. who the are u to decide what i should do. if i wanted to ride my motard down to the corner store to pick up sum zig-zags in shorts & flip flops with no helmet. thats my right and if u started hassling me about it. id simply tell u to lick my fukin nutz save ur tyrant BS. cause i aint buyin it

oh it ! lets just burn the constitution and start a dictatorship ! will that make u happy ?
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet law Crash Jackson General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-09-2012 02:47 PM
helmet law lightlord General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 12-16-2011 04:40 PM
Spirt of the Law or Letter of the Law? Which are you? CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 34 09-10-2009 07:12 AM
Motorcycles law enforcement(law enf please enter) camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-24-2009 09:03 AM
SCOOTERTRASH IS A LAW BREAKIN OUT LAW! Solracer Off Topic 29 10-03-2006 04:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #82
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

for what it's worth I used to be that cruiser guy. No gear at all and occasionally went sans helmet(1/2 helmet). I came home every weekend burnt to a crisp, dehydrated, bruised from rocks and bugs and thought to myself wow I had a good time. Now I ride in full leathers and come home and I am not burnt, not bruised from BS on the roads and not dehydrated. Just a little hot an stinky... which you get that way regardless of gear or no gear. I am just glad I pulled my head out of my before my accident happened.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #83
jodyhudson

Quote:
for what it's worth I used to be that cruiser guy. No gear at all and occasionally went sans helmet(1/2 helmet). I came home every weekend burnt to a crisp, dehydrated, bruised from rocks and bugs and thought to myself wow I had a good time. Now I ride in full leathers and come home and I am not burnt, not bruised from BS on the roads and not dehydrated. Just a little hot an stinky... which you get that way regardless of gear or no gear. I am just glad I pulled my head out of my before my accident happened.
good for u bro. that was ur choice. now let everybody make their own decision !
Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #84
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i wear gear at the track for both reasons...

1) to save my when i crash (my personal choice, like i stated)
2) because you have to before u can even set a tire on the track

but as far as the street goes.... i think every rider should have the right to decide for their own. who the are u to decide what i should do. if i wanted to ride my motard down to the corner store to pick up sum zig-zags in shorts & flip flops with no helmet. thats my right and if u started hassling me about it. id simply tell u to lick my fukin nutz save ur tyrant BS. cause i aint buyin it

oh it ! lets just burn the constitution and start a dictatorship ! will that make u happy ?
This was all suppose to be a discussion... see post number 1 for starters. Quit acting like a little titty baby....for sake you a little older then I am. act like it. We are having a discussion on points of view... if you can't handle it go sit back down in the corner and that witchdoctor has a different opinion than you.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #85
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
good for u bro. that was ur choice. now let everybody make their own decision !
I am no law maker so it isn't like I am forcing my will upon anyone. The only person I inflict my will upon in the helmet issue is my wife and kids when they get old enough to start riding.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #86
jodyhudson

Quote:
This was all suppose to be a discussion... see post number 1 for starters. Quit acting like a little titty baby....for sake you a little older then I am. act like it. We are having a discussion on points of view... if you can't handle it go sit back down in the corner and that witchdoctor has a different opinion than you.
first off... i aint bent or cryin. if i was... ud know. secondly... im just givin u my opinion as well, u just dont like the way i express it. opinions are like ... everybody has one and there is no need to go to the corner... im fine right here at my desk with my bong.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #87
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
first off... i aint bent or cryin. if i was... ud know. secondly... im just givin u my opinion as well, u just dont like the way i express it. opinions are like ... everybody has one and there is no need to go to the corner... im fine right here at my desk with my bong.
take another hit then cause your getting way too excited over something that neither you nor I have any control over. Save the tyrant bullchit for your letter to president obama.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #88
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #89
jodyhudson

Quote:
take another hit then cause your getting way too excited over something that neither you nor I have any control over. Save the tyrant bullchit for your letter to president obama.
huh ? me not excited yet ur silly aint even worth my time. im gonna take that hit & go peddle my bicycle. u got it, without a helmet ! have a nice day sir

im the tyrant.... u crack me up fool !
Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #90
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
did some one say bong? share motherfcker!
didnt know u were green friendly
Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #91
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Just like most other laws, there's a good reason for them - I don't have a problem with reducing my 'freedom to choose', but then again, I'm the kind of guy who 'chooses' to have a license, insurance, and all those 'other' requirements. Motorcycling has its roots in anti-establishment and 'Born to be Wild' mentality, so for that reason there's something apparently personal about this particular idea - no logic to it. What I don't get is the younger generation that has nothing to do with anti-establishment... I guess people just need to be forced to recognize that society thinks its important to be at least prepared for wrecking...

I disagree with the tiered system - but I also think that has no relation at all to the danger of riding without a helmet, even if it were put into law. I've known people who died wrecking on their bicycle - it has nothing to do with the speed of the wreck.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #92
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Would prefer that people just decided to pull their head out of their and ride with gear... I thought Texas did have a helmet requirement unless you spend 10$ or whatever it is for a sticker on your license...
Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #93
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I believe all people who are adults should have the right to destroy their body if they choose to, so long as they are not hurting anyone else.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #94
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I believe all people who are adults should have the right to destroy their body if they choose to, so long as they are not hurting anyone else.

but it does hurt us.. all of us.. with higher insurance rates.. more laws mandated by the state... higher health care rates. lots of issues..

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #95
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I would agree with this. I think the rider is an adult and is responsible for themselves, but I don't believe most of them have really thought of what they will be putting their family and friends through in case of a wreck.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #96
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
but it does hurt us.. all of us.. with higher insurance rates.. more laws mandated by the state... higher health care rates. lots of issues..
that is what i have been trying to say... but then I got called a tyrant
Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #97
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
that is what i have been trying to say... but then I got called a tyrant

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #98
Zrob25

There are alot of things in this world that save lifes. That does not mean that there needs to be a law requireing them. most of the laws we have are rarley if ever enforced(turn signals for one). I wear gear, but not just for safety reasons. I don't like getting smacked in the forehead by a 1/2 lb grasshopper. It's nice to know that if I don't want to where gear then I have the right not too. I don't need to worry about explaining it to anyone. It's just my right. Just like the people that tan all the time and get skin cancer. That affects our heathcare costs as well. Helmets are good and I will wear mine 99% of the time, but I want to always have the choice.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #99
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

I didn't read all of the posts so sorry if this has been said before, but I believe it should be each individuals choice to wear a helmet or not.

It's not the governments job to keep people from doing foolish things and hurting themselves.

I always wear a helmet and I feel awkward when I don't, riding without a helmet and gloves feels out of place and "Naked" if you will. Dirt , Street wear ever I always have my helmet on. But it's not the lawmakers place to tell people what they can and cannot do in my opinion.

Will it save lives? I am sure it would but people need to start owning up to there own actions and doing what is right because they should not because some one made it a law to do so.
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #100
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

I have to say that it should be left to an individual to choose whether or not to wear a helmet or any gear for that matter. Safety laws were originally intended so that one persons decision didn't have a negative impact on somebody else. These kinds of decisions effect nobody else's health other than the person that made the decision. Me not wearing a helmet will have no negative health effects on you if we were to get into some sort of accident. This is also why I do not agree with seatbelt laws(different discussion different day).
People need to start realizing what laws were intended to do from day one...

I also don't agree with the bs that these decisions raise health insurance, car/bike insurance, and whatever else you want to blame on the lack of said laws... Particularly health insurance... Can we start regulating what your fat eats because you raise my health insurance. How bout they outlaw cigarettes because my smoking raises your rates. Should cancer patients be denied coverage because they have cancer? That would lower my rate also...

I'll finish by saying I am always wearing a helmet, pants and boots! That is my decision to do that... Lets let natural selection do its job!
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement