MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Gear Law & Helmet Law
SHOULD BE required for everyones benefit and overall safety of motorcycling community 44 50.00%
SHOULD NOT required, everyeone should be free to ride without gear or helmets 40 45.45%
I really don't know where I stand, would have to hear the arguments before deciding 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #41
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
Whether or not it's Texas law or DOT, you're still operating on roads paid for by the state of Texas. That makes it illegal to operate above those conditions.

huh???? US DOT requirements have nothing to do with Texas MVC, go look it up and make a new thread if you wish to persue this line of discussion, oh and its under about 4 different codes

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet law Crash Jackson General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-09-2012 02:47 PM
helmet law lightlord General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 12-16-2011 04:40 PM
Spirt of the Law or Letter of the Law? Which are you? CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 34 09-10-2009 07:12 AM
Motorcycles law enforcement(law enf please enter) camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-24-2009 09:03 AM
SCOOTERTRASH IS A LAW BREAKIN OUT LAW! Solracer Off Topic 29 10-03-2006 04:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #42
mightymouse1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

one thing i can proudly say is over the past year,most people involved in motorcycle wrecks have been harley/cruisers. it really doesn't make a difference,two wheels is two wheels,but ya'll know the sportbike guys/gals get a bad rep for it. i make it a point in the er to mention " harley rider will never learn"...
mightymouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #43
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2007 Suzuki gsxr600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse1 View Post
one thing i can regretfully say is over the past year,most people involved in motorcycle wrecks have been harley/cruisers. it really doesn't make a difference,two wheels is two wheels,but ya'll know the sportbike guys/gals get a bad rep for it. i make it a point in the er to mention " harley rider will never learn"...
Fixed.

They are still riders.
Melissa_Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #44
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

I wear full gear whenever I ride, but still voted no to have govt tell me how to ride.
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #45
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
by US DOT that may be completely corrct but under Texas law you are not reqiured to wear a seatbelt if your driving a vehicle that meets my previous, and nor are you required if you are operating an emergency vehicle or vehicle that makes frequent stops such as meter reader vehicles, however most cities and fire/ems departments and companies do have internal seatbelt requirements, but lets not hijack the thread

nuff said LOL
I think you are quoting a very old law. current law is that is it came from the factory with a seat belt you must use it.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #46
ExtremeGas
dont get behind me

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 yamaha r6s

this argument is the same as the seatbelt law ..... underage have to wear one at all time no matter where they sit in the car but adults only have to wear them in the front seat. i personally believe that adults should not HAVE to wear seat belts if they are ALONE in the car, it should be a choice. I also think that riding a motorcycle with or without a helmet should be a choice. I personally wear a helmet every time i go out, but that does not change the fact that one should have the choice over protecting ones own body from harm.
ExtremeGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #47
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGas View Post
this argument is the same as the seatbelt law ..... underage have to wear one at all time no matter where they sit in the car but adults only have to wear them in the front seat. i personally believe that adults should not HAVE to wear seat belts if they are ALONE in the car, it should be a choice. I also think that riding a motorcycle with or without a helmet should be a choice. I personally wear a helmet every time i go out, but that does not change the fact that one should have the choice over protecting ones own body from harm.
I see what your saying , but its a choice that affects the whole motorcycle community the more deaths that occur each year

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #48
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):

I think everybody against and or voting for "should not" never had to take care of an accident loved one who was involved in a motorcycle accident sans gear.
That might change your view and stance a bit.

This had to be said even if it is besides the point.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #49
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

well the problem lies with me in health insurance. There are already several health insurance companies that refuse to provide coverage to peeps who engage in motorcycling. So for those that ride without a helmet and suffer brain damage and have to have assisted living for the rest of their lives it costs the insurance companies money which they then trickle down to me who has to flip a higher bill. That is assuming I will have health coverage in the future because I motorcycle. Congress already has ignored the petition to make insurance companies provide coverage to those who motorcycle so there is nothing to stop them if gets out of hand.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #50
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

When you dont wear your seatbelt you are not just affecting yourself. It is meant to keep your planted in the seat. I think the same goes for the helmet one stone in the eye and your gonna be in bad shape quick. If it starts raining good luck. If they hit you youll understand.....
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #51
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
well the problem lies with me in health insurance. There are already several health insurance companies that refuse to provide coverage to peeps who engage in motorcycling. So for those that ride without a helmet and suffer brain damage and have to have assisted living for the rest of their lives it costs the insurance companies money which they then trickle down to me who has to flip a higher bill. That is assuming I will have health coverage in the future because I motorcycle. Congress already has ignored the petition to make insurance companies provide coverage to those who motorcycle so there is nothing to stop them if gets out of hand.
so let natural selection take care of it?

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #52
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):

My understanding was that there are a lot of health insurances that will cover you but refuse claims by cause of two wheeled vehicles including bicycles.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #53
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_Claire View Post
My understanding was that there are a lot of health insurances that will cover you but refuse claims by cause of two wheeled vehicles including bicycles.
that is where my issues start. People like to think well it is just me so who am I harming by not wearing a helmet.... well let us see.

1.) family - loss of loved family member and loss of financial provider
a.spouse
b. kids
c. parents
d. friends

2.) work - loss of valuable employee
a. co-workers
b. customers

3.) general motorcycle public
a. raised health insurance rates from excessive injuries
b. raised insurance rates from excessive injuries

I am sure this outline can be built upon. This is just the immediate topics that come to mind.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #54
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
so let natural selection take care of it?
I thought that is what is already taking place? Not working out so well is it?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #55
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):

Quote:
that is where my issues start. People like to think well it is just me so who am I harming by not wearing a helmet.... well let us see.

1.) family - loss of loved family member and loss of financial provider
a.spouse
b. kids
c. parents
d. friends

2.) work - loss of valuable employee
a. co-workers
b. customers

3.) general motorcycle public
a. raised health insurance rates from excessive injuries
b. raised insurance rates from excessive injuries

I am sure this outline can be built upon. This is just the immediate topics that come to mind.
I totally understand.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #56
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree. MSF does not prepare you for riding as some would have you believe. Yet through the hysteria surrounding it, new riders feel that MSF automatically turns then into a 10 percent'er. As I do understand that it is not the instructors' fault and rather the students', I do also believe that the system is flawed.
I remember drivers education being much more through than MSF yet both hand out licenses.

This does not mean that MSF should be avoided because something is better than nothing.

on a side note, i'm a 10%-er

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #57
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree. MSF does not prepare you for riding as some would have you believe. Yet through the hysteria surrounding it, new riders feel that MSF automatically turns then into a 10 percent'er. As I do understand that it is not the instructors' fault and rather the students', I do also believe that the system is flawed.
I remember drivers education being much more through than MSF yet both hand out licenses.

This does not mean that MSF should be avoided because something is better than nothing.

I recommend MSF to newbies. It provides the basic tools for learning and practicing good defensive driving habits. No msf will not make you a super rider by the end of day 2 but it definetly a great start to a long motorcycle adventure.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #58
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
on a side note, i'm a 10%-er

right!!!

That Trans Am just sits there right?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #59
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
I know this will sprawl over 20 pages of flaming debate. Only rules for this thread are:

1. Don't let it get personal. It's a forum debate/discussion, NOT someone personally insulting you. Respond to them with counter arguments, facts, or ideas.

2. Keep out trolling comments on this and only post replies or substantial (more than 4-5 sentence answers) if possible to avoid pages of "yes i agree" "thumbs up" etc.

3. KEEP IT FROM FLAMING. IT'S A DEBATE. Argue logic and reason, not personal insults.

4. Try to write it as if you are addressing your congressman or lobbyist. I'd like to see what your perspective is as you would explain to a lawmaker or something with influence.

Question to pose:

What would be the benefits and cons of REQUIRING full gear and helmet wearing by all motorcyclists, in the same way that many states have a seatbelt law. Pretend that if legalized you could face hefty fines and tickets, and with enough repeat violations suspension of your license. It would not be a money making tool, with a slap on the wrist, but significant. What would you say when this law was proposed in congress that would apply to all states. What would your point be to your congressman or lobbyist?

Let it roar!
i think every individual should have the right to make that choice on his own. for sake ! i thought this was supposed to be a free country
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #60
Melissa_Claire

Bike(s):

Quote:
I recommend MSF to newbies. It provides the basic tools for learning and practicing good defensive driving habits. No msf will not make you a super rider by the end of day 2 but it definetly a great start to a long motorcycle adventure.
But don't you agree that it should be improved upon?

Advertisement