MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

First track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway)

I am officially addicted to the track pipe!

It was my first time ever on a track and I had a blast, I was slow but had fun and learned alot.

The first couple of sessions I was anxious, nervous, or whatever you want to call it. Mostly due to my back tire being all over the place. The thing was really washy and just unstable as , very confidence un-inspiring.

The pressure in the rear was 38psi and the front was 34psi... think that could have been it? I have to tell ya corner 1 and 2 sucked coming off the straight at 115-130mph, the end wabbled all over the place and scared the out of me every time.

I had no idea the tire pressure was THE problem, I changed them to 30psi in the rear and 31psi in the front and it was on. Problem was that I was all nervous cause everytime I braked hard or leaned in for a corner the back end was all over the place before. It took me a couple laps to get my back and trust the tires. The morning pictures of me are not bad, I am leaning the bike over but I am not hanging off the thing.

Andy was my instructor, I followed him a couple of laps and he gave the tip about putting your toe on the peg and I'll be damned if I wasn't hanging off the bike and dragging my knee the next session.

Funny thing was it just kind of happend, I wasn't trying but the more comfortable I was and the more I focused on braking, downshifting and entering the corner at the right time the faster I went. Relaxing and concentrating on looking though the corner made me so much faster.

I wanted to say Thanks to everyone, you people are awesome! I am very much addicted now!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day.... maxgs Taking it to the Track 2 04-04-2009 06:11 AM
RideSmart Track Day - 9.01.2008 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) College Stn - $100 LABOR DAY EVENT dhdrider Ridesmart Motorcycle School 45 08-18-2008 09:12 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
My track day write up: a day with RideSmart at TWS (Texas World Speedway) [poser] Taking it to the Track 15 06-25-2008 05:37 PM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Pics

Here are some from the morning session. I would love to see the difference between the afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62208TWS484-small.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	13020   Click image for larger version

Name:	62208TWS521-small.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	13021   Click image for larger version

Name:	62208TWS554-small.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	13022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	62208TWS573-small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	13023  
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

AWESOME
Maybe we'll see you at MSRH on the 4th of July.
Another chance to hit the track pipe
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
yes, air pressure should be more like 30 front, 29 rear.....way too much air

welcome to the addiction...it only gets worse.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
yes, air pressure should be more like 30 front, 29 rear.....way too much air

Yup found that out the hard way. Sucks to have to learn something like that the way I did. I almost ate it down shifting off the straigt and into 1, scared the living out of me....
Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Hi Timme,
I just did my first day recently (at MSR Houston). I have a 675 as well. It's a fun bike for the track. You obviously learned the importance of tire pressure the hard way. Remember to measure them "cold." If they are warmed up you should add 4 or 6 (not sure which) to the PSI.
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
Hi Timme,
I just did my first day recently (at MSR Houston). I have a 675 as well. It's a fun bike for the track. You obviously learned the importance of tire pressure the hard way. Remember to measure them "cold." If they are warmed up you should add 4 or 6 (not sure which) to the PSI.
measure 'em cold, run a session, measure them again and adjust accordingly
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Different tires require different pressures, but by inlarge for street tires, 30 front & 29 rear will usually work well.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
measure 'em cold, run a session, measure them again and adjust accordingly

Just to be clear on what you are saying:

Cold: rear 30, front 29
Warm: rear 36, front 35

Is there a 'majic' number your tires should be at when warm? I would assume it depends on the tire.

I wonder if the tire rep could tell me those numbers for the track, specifically for my tires? You would think that data has to exist.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Pathos

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Different tires require different pressures, but by inlarge for street tires, 30 front & 29 rear will usually work well.
For the track, right? I've heard tires don't warm up as well on the street with those pressures.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Pathos

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post

Is there a 'majic' number your tires should be at when warm? I would assume it depends on the tire.

I wonder if the tire rep could tell me those numbers for the track, specifically for my tires? You would think that data has to exist.
Yes, the tire rep should be able to tell you ideal warm pressure for your tires. They may vary depending on make and model of tires.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Pathos did you have a aftermarket can for your 675? I am looking at the arrow full system as my first upgrade. The stock can sucks, really restrictive...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:

I run 30 front, 29 rear at all of my trackdays for the most part....if traction becomes an issue I'll adjust accordingly, but for my pace and my skill level 30/29 works for me. PM KawiJM and he'll give you a more accurate response. And just to clarify, I set it at 30/29, run a session and come back and check again. Typically it goes up a couple of pounds and I bring it back down.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
I run 30 front, 29 rear at all of my trackdays for the most part....if traction becomes an issue I'll adjust accordingly, but for my pace and my skill level 30/29 works for me. PM KawiJM and he'll give you a more accurate response. And just to clarify, I set it at 30/29, run a session and come back and check again. Typically it goes up a couple of pounds and I bring it back down.
Got ya, thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated! Are you heading out to MSR on the 4th? They don't have a C group so I don't know if I am too slow for the B group. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Got ya, thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated! Are you heading out to MHS on the 4th? They don't have a C group so I don't know if I am too slow for the B group. Any thoughts on that?
It will be a fast pace B group.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #16
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
It will be a fast pace B group.
i guess u will be staying home then ?
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i guess u will be staying home then ?
STFU Honky
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Got ya, thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated! Are you heading out to MSR on the 4th? They don't have a C group so I don't know if I am too slow for the B group. Any thoughts on that?
Is that the CMRA race weekend? You may wanna skip that TD if you only have one under the belt. Groups on CMRA weekends tend to fill up with fast folks. As for me, I waiting for cooler temps to hit the track, but I am riding motorcross on Saturday .
Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Is that the CMRA race weekend? You may wanna skip that TD if you only have one under the belt. Groups on CMRA weekends tend to fill up with fast folks. As for me, I waiting for cooler temps to hit the track, but I am riding motorcross on Saturday .
Aight, I just don't want to wait another 3 weeks to get on the track again, but I certainly don't want to slow a bunch of folks down either... thats not cool especailly since my uses 99.9% of the track to go about 25% as fast
Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
Pathos

Bike(s):

Quote:
Pathos did you have a aftermarket can for your 675? I am looking at the arrow full system as my first upgrade. The stock can sucks, really restrictive...
Not yet. I don't have a lot of money, and I'm not that good yet. I think when I get better at the track I will start to invest in "go faster" equipment such as aftermarket can. I need to improve my technique and go faster with the equipment I have now.

Advertisement