MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
02 F4i SOLD, 07 CBR600RR SOLD

Honda to put ABS and fly-by-wire braking system on new CBR

not sure if this is a repost..

Very interesting to say the least

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/14/h...s-on-cbr600rr/

Honda testing ABS brakes on CBR600RR

Posted Jun 14th 2008 11:39AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski
Filed under: Safety, Tech, Honda, Motorcycles

Many motorcycles in today's market feature anti-lock brakes, including models from Honda like the Interceptor and Silverwing scooters. Now, though, the red-winged manufacturer of motorcycles has announced a new system which completely removes the rider's direct connection with the front and rear brakes. Instead of a cable connection, the system uses brake-by-wire technology and allows an on-board computer to apply pressure to both the front and rear brakes as it sees fit. This new system is expected to debut on sportbikes first, which raises some eyebrows in the cycle-riding community. The highest performing bikes have ridiculously powerful brakes which are capable of locking up the front tire very easily. Still, hardcore riders have proven very reluctant to give up any control to computers, especially on race tracks, where supersport bikes are expected to thrive. Being Honda, though, there is a prevailing sense that the technology will work. Expect the new combined ABS system to proliferate to all of Honda's two-wheelers in the near future.

[Source: Honda]

Honda Announces World's First Electronically-Controlled 'Combined ABS' for Super Sport Bikes

Honda has announced the world's first electronically-controlled "Combined ABS" for Super Sport motorcycles, aimed at combining ABS and CBS systems into one system that applies the basic advantages of both, while specifically addressing the requirements of a Super Sport context.

In order to achieve this, the particular characteristics of Super Sport bikes, such as short wheelbase, are taken into account. The system also operates without interference to sports riding, and with an emphasis on maintaining full rider control.

The system consists of an electronically controlled combined "brake by wire" system with an innovative stroke simulator. Direct motor control ensures precise operation of the ABS. The components are divided into several smaller units so there are more, but smaller units than in previous systems.

The system's effectiveness is due to four main factors:

1. Electronic control of the CBS, allowing more advanced control of brake force. This provides a more sensitive distribution of brake force over both wheels.

2. Measurement of rider input force on each lever. The ideal brake force on both wheels is generated accordingly, providing optimum distribution and minimising vehicle body reaction.

3. An "ABS modulator" which ensures late triggering of ABS, and smooth ABS intervention.

4. Small size meaning that the system's components can be well integrated in the motorcycle's package. Thus mass-centralisation, a key feature for Super Sport bikes, is supported.

All the basic ABS and CBS functions are provided, including the prevention of wheel lock, improved balance and easy operation. This is achieved without any compromise to stability during ABS operation. Pitching is minimised so that the bike keeps its normal position. Overall, sport riding performance is uninterrupted - cornering feel remains the same and controllability is enhanced.
Robert95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me find a wire diagram or the tach signal wire skelator General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-11-2014 01:43 PM
Mississippi “Patriots for America” member Put on No-Fly List, Stranded in Hawaii Petro Off Topic 14 10-17-2012 04:11 PM
Interesting braking system TxVrod General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-21-2007 11:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Honda is always messing with their braking systems. Does anybody remember "linked braking?" IMO I wouldn't want ABS. One of the things I like most about bikes are how simple they are/should/could be. With all these newfangled electronics it is going to be impossible to work on your bike in your garage. Also, I would kind of want ME to control how much brake I am applying not some computer module that is thinking for me.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
mattj0206

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 R1

for some reason i feel a little uncomfortable about being "disconnected" from my brakes
mattj0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Yami's FBW throttle system is one thing, if it goes wrong you can always just pull in the clutch and shut the bike off. FBW braking.........now that is a leap of faith for even a die hard Honda guy like me to swallow. I'll wait for the third generation of that one at least.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

seems like it would be easy enough to put a standard master cylinder/lines/calipers on there if you wanted to get rid of it...

FBW brakes kinda scare me too, kind like FBW steering on cars...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Honda is always messing with their braking systems. Does anybody remember "linked braking?" IMO I wouldn't want ABS. One of the things I like most about bikes are how simple they are/should/could be. With all these newfangled electronics it is going to be impossible to work on your bike in your garage. Also, I would kind of want ME to control how much brake I am applying not some computer module that is thinking for me.
i have em, work great, remember carbs, now their's FI
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I don't like this idea at all. I have that linked on my goldwing too and I hate it. I can't lock the back brake without effecting my front brake. I like skidding sometimes it's fun it is another part of riding I like.

I want control of my brakes not some mechanism. Sometimes I hate freak'n technology. Sheesh. Why not just a have a dang robot computer drive the thing for you and we can all just sit there on the bike and ride .
Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

I don't like being disconnected from my brakes either. I understand moving forward with technology, but when a fuse blows or connection issue with ignition or throttle (like some yami's have), it won't go and worst case you will have to coast down from your current speed. If that were to happen with brakes, it could be a major disaster.

Brakes have always been something I check and double check. Having something that won't start or go is an inconvenience. Having something that won't stop is deadly!

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Heck I don't like fly by wire either. I mean if I am doing 120mph wheelie I don't want some computer holding the throttle wide open.

I hope susuki don't ever do any this . Sheesh use the R & D to make the bike faster, lighter and corner better. I could care less about gimmiks.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I don't like this idea at all. I have that linked on my goldwing too and I hate it. I can't lock the back brake without effecting my front brake. I like skidding sometimes it's fun it is another part of riding I like.

I want control of my brakes not some mechanism. Sometimes I hate freak'n technology. Sheesh. Why not just a have a dang robot computer drive the thing for you and we can all just sit there on the bike and ride .
my wing had integrated brakes I like linked much better and I didn't know they put them on the goldwings I may have to take another look.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
my wing had integrated brakes I like linked much better and I didn't know they put them on the goldwings I may have to take another look.
Can't slide the rear and freak out harleys though.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

It won't happen. Don't get ya'll panties in a wad.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
It won't happen. Don't get ya'll panties in a wad.

Why do you think it won't happen?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Why do you think it won't happen?
Too hard to do ABS without sacrifice feel.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement