MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Timing Eliminator / Gixxer K8

Anybody using a TRE on an '07 or '08 gixxer 1000? I'm interested in opinions regarding the impact on the bike on the top end.

Also, seems that if you have the ignition module on a PowerCommander, one ought to be able to accomplish the same result. Anybody done this?

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's a ? This guy! (me) darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-29-2013 12:07 AM
Cain goes full part 2. overload Chris24 The Circus 2 11-02-2011 09:43 PM
...look at this on youtube gsxr'stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 11-14-2009 01:52 PM
Timing Calibrator ???? lanzer913 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-06-2009 07:42 PM
CL , Please tell me this is no one here Mark06gsxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-10-2009 07:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Curt,
The ignition module doesn't know what gear you're in, so if you compensate for the timing in 6th it'll also apply the increase everywhere else.

A TRE typically fools the bike into thinking it's in 5th all of the time so that the ECU runs that timing map vs the retarded 6th gear map.

I have not installed a TRE on an '07-'08 GSXR1000 yet, but have on many other Suzuki fuel injected bikes that have 1st and 6th gear timing retarded maps and have mostly had good results.

It will however disable your OEM gear position indicator.

More info here:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Scotsman; 06-25-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Like Patrick said, the TRE just tells the ECU the bike is in fifth. The less expensive units will make the gear indicator always say 5th too. However, I believe there's one unit on the market that preserves the gear indicator.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

I haven't found one yet, but I have used this alternative:

http://www.gi-pro.net/

It's a good product, I've got it on my SV and have installed in on numerous customer bikes.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Have it on the busa Curt, its the 1-2-3-4-5-5 change. There are ways on my bike to remove the 6th gear sensor. I dont have a factory gear selector but the GiPro offers a replacement gear indicator. I have never had problems with it regardless of the threads started on other sites about possible no starts.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
maxgs

Member Garage

Patrick, so after talking to some folks about being down on power, it seems that there are a couple of factors. First, the speedometers are all optimistic by 8% sometimes as high as 12%. My problem was exacerbated because I was running a 190/55. So just going to the speedo healer had a dramatic impact on my indicated speed. It's been suggested that I'm probably going faster than I was before, it's just indicating accurately now.

Does that sound reasonable or BS?

Second, is the timing . Do the racers all run TREs??

Thanks for the pointer on the Ivans Performance site.

-Curt
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Patrick, so after talking to some folks about being down on power, it seems that there are a couple of factors. First, the speedometers are all optimistic by 8% sometimes as high as 12%. My problem was exacerbated because I was running a 190/55. So just going to the speedo healer had a dramatic impact on my indicated speed. It's been suggested that I'm probably going faster than I was before, it's just indicating accurately now.

Does that sound reasonable or BS?

Second, is the timing . Do the racers all run TREs??

Thanks for the pointer on the Ivans Performance site.

-Curt

Very true, most bikes stock read 8% or more high, add to that factors such a gearing changes and taller tires and it can really mess things up.

I'll have to ask Brandon if he remembers what percentage yours was out when he calibrated the Speedo Healer.

As far as roadracing, a lot of guys on Suzukis run the TRE and a lot don't.

It's one of those subjects that's definitely polarizing.

On the flip side of the coin, most of the guys I'm familiar with that drag race or run top speed DO use the TRE.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
heres a thought...

instead of bolting every aftermarket thang u can find to ur bike. why dont you just spend that $$$ on tires & trackdays learning how to actually ride the bike. cause trust me... u will never be able to ride that 1k anywhere to its full potenetial in stock trim. my 2 cents
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
heres a thought...

instead of bolting every aftermarket thang u can find to ur bike. why dont you just spend that $$$ on tires & trackdays learning how to actually ride the bike. cause trust me... u will never be able to ride that 1k anywhere to its full potenetial in stock trim. my 2 cents
Because mods are half the hobby for some...
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
heres a thought...

Been through seven sets of race tires since November and probably logged 2000 track miles. I'm well down the learning curve. I've still done zero horsepower mods. I'm 6'6" and 295 pounds so as far as "u will never be able to ride that 1K anywhere near it's potential..." Bullshit, Jody. Let's strap 150 pounds to your and see how well you manage that bike on stock suspension and brakes.

I've been down this road in cars before, so I've focused on what was important.... Suspension and brakes. Did racing pads immediately. Did the Ohlins in mid December and, at the same time stainless lines.

The front suspension wasn't right after the first time around, I continued to bottom the forks. So this latest round was to go up one on the fork springs. And, Brembo 19/18 since I continued to get fluid fade towards the latter sessions.

About the only marginally needed add ons were the following. First, the Quick shifter. It's fantastic - however, the bigger change was moving to gp shift. Had I done that first, I might not have done the quick shifter. Of course the quick shifter required the power commander and ignition module.
Second, Pazzos because they look cool. And lastly going -1 on the front sprocket which I did predominately for MSR-H gearing. I did the speedo healer at the same time for obvious reasons. Prior to the gearing change, would just get to the top of third gear/bottom of fourth at MSR-H.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
jodyhudson

Quote:
Been through seven sets of race tires since November and probably logged 2000 track miles. I'm well down the learning curve. I've still done zero horsepower mods. I'm 6'6" and 295 pounds so as far as "u will never be able to ride that 1K anywhere near it's potential..." Bullshit, Jody. Let's strap 150 pounds to your and see how well you manage that bike on stock suspension and brakes.

I've been down this road in cars before, so I've focused on what was important.... Suspension and brakes. Did racing pads immediately. Did the Ohlins in mid December and, at the same time stainless lines.

The front suspension wasn't right after the first time around, I continued to bottom the forks. So this latest round was to go up one on the fork springs. And, Brembo 19/18 since I continued to get fluid fade towards the latter sessions.

About the only marginally needed add ons were the following. First, the Quick shifter. It's fantastic - however, the bigger change was moving to gp shift. Had I done that first, I might not have done the quick shifter. Of course the quick shifter required the power commander and ignition module.
Second, Pazzos because they look cool. And lastly going -1 on the front sprocket which I did predominately for MSR-H gearing. I did the speedo healer at the same time for obvious reasons. Prior to the gearing change, would just get to the top of third gear/bottom of fourth at MSR-H.

i wasnt talkin about suspension hot-rod... i was talkin about all that supposedly go fast bullshit u be boltin on ur sled. BOLT AWAY big guy ! ur my hero

Last edited by jodyhudson; 06-25-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Very true, most bikes stock read 8% or more high, add to that factors such a gearing changes and taller tires and it can really mess things up.

I'll have to ask Brandon if he remembers what percentage yours was out when he calibrated the Speedo Healer.

As far as roadracing, a lot of guys on Suzukis run the TRE and a lot don't.

It's one of those subjects that's definitely polarizing.

On the flip side of the coin, most of the guys I'm familiar with that drag race or run top speed DO use the TRE.
When I think about the behaviour I'm seeing on the bike, it does seem to be more of a sixth gear issue. Shifting at redline in fifth to sixth gear, the bike just doesn't accelerate worth a . Of course, I'll never have that problem on a racetrack....
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
well if thats how it is... let me suggest Jenny Craig
Jenny Craig and the Meat Curtains.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
i wasnt talkin about suspension hot-rod... i was talkin about all that supposedly go fast bullshit u be boltin on ur sled. BOLT AWAY big guy ! ur my hero
*uck off, Hudson. No go fast stuff on the bike yet. Still have stock exhaust, airfilter, etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
jodyhudson

Quote:
*uck off, Hudson. No go fast stuff on the bike yet. Still have stock exhaust, airfilter, etc.
! i just love hostility in the mornin !!!!!!

i love u too max
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
When I think about the behaviour I'm seeing on the bike, it does seem to be more of a sixth gear issue. Shifting at redline in fifth to sixth gear, the bike just doesn't accelerate worth a . Of course, I'll never have that problem on a racetrack....
Many, perhaps most bikes 6th gear are disproportionately taller than 1-5. Not a true overdrive but close so acceleration in 6th is reduced. Lots of bikes can never reach redline in 6th with stock gearing.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #17
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:

It's a good product, I've got it on my SV and have installed in on numerous customer bikes.
I have been looking into that. I wanted a gear indicator and heard that those have a built in TRE. Not bad considering some gear indicators cost just the same, might as well get the one with the TRE.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
[poser]
"the un-original"

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

Quote:

did this make a noticable difference on the SV? I've got one for my SV that I haven't installed yet
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
I just picked one up for a sweet price. Once I properly get it adjusted, I will let you know how I like it

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
maxgs

Member Garage

What brand and how sweet??

Advertisement