MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
[poser]
"the un-original"

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

My track day write up: a day with RideSmart at TWS (Texas World Speedway)

This past Saturday I did my first track day with RideSmart at Texas World, and let me tell you it was GREAT! Iím totally hooked, I now know they call it the ďtrack pipeĒ, I would recommend it to anyone. I guess in sharing my experience Iíll even tell you guys what I did preparation wise in hopes maybe itíll help someone else.

Bike Prep: Nothing big or fancy, Wednesday night before I put on fresh brake pads [not necessary but I wanted to] and bled the brakes putting in some high temp brake fluid. On the Thursday night before I did all other bike prep. It was time for an oil change so I did that, removed turn signals, mirrors, disconnected tail/brake lights and head lights, head lights and tail lights, and just kind of double checked everything [chain tension, etcÖ]. I also started organizing everything I wanted to take with me setting it aside in the garage, and made my run to Wal-Mart for sustenance. I read a write up by Tom at LSTD suggesting to do all bike prep at least 2 days before, and it turned out to be sound advice. I was able to not rush and do everything I wanted to do, and then load everything Friday night, there was no way I was getting up early enough to load, I just wanted to get up and go. Had I tried to prep and load on Friday I would have been stressed and in a hurry and most likely wouldnít have gotten to bed until REALLY late.

Items I took with me:
Bike, key, extra gas, ramps, bike stand, misc tools, tape, windex, paper towels, zip ties, garage towels, fan, camping chair, gear [suit, helmet, gloves, boots], change of clothes, small and large towel, head rag, ice chest with water and Gatorade and food [more on the food later], camera, extra ear plugs, some pain killers, and sun screen. I think thatís it.

Food/Nutrition:
Being a novice cyclist and having train for and done the MS150, Iíve gotten picky about food/nutrition for sporting events or strenuous activity, so this is the stuff I took.
Water and Gatorade, to stay hydrated and replace electrolytes. I went with the low calorie stuff because Gatorade has a lot of calories. Itís a good idea to stay away from sodas [I donít drink them normally so its no big deal], you really want to be putting water back into your system when youíre sweating a lot, sodas are bad for you as it is, and even more so when youíre dehydrated. Also stay away from lots of caffeine, as it can inhibit the bodies ability to absorb water.
For food I took some bananas, trail mix, cliff bars, and some hammer gel packets. My sack lunch consisted of turkey sam-ich, chips and carrots. Nuts are a great source of energy because they have good fats and protein, and if youíre working out you need to be giving your body some protein. I didnít bring any with me but, surprisingly pickles and pickle juice are a great source of potassium and electrolytes, if you start cramping down a little pickle juice and it should take care of it.

Ok now that thatís all out of the way, Iíll get to the track day itself.
I left Katy pretty early and got to TWS (Texas World Speedway) about 6:30, and found a spot to squeeze into the paddock. One thing that I found really cool was how friendly and helpful everyone I met was, I was by myself and had not problem finding someone to help my get the SV out of the truck. Met some folks from Austin [Austin Sport Bike Riders] and Dallas [DFW Sport Bike Riders], super nice folks. They let me tag along in their truck for the track drive with Ty Howard, and even let me eat lunch with them in the paddock. Really cool folks who I hope to see again at a track day. The guys on either side of me in the paddock were cool too, I know the one group were some TSBA guys.
Registration was a breeze and so was tech, the RideSmart folks are really nice and helpful. The class room sessions were great and I was also surprised how down to earth and approachable all the instructors were. Picked up a lot of good info from those guys, so props to you guys: Jason, Guy, Jon, and the guy with the accent [sorry if I donít remember your name or got it wrong, Iím bad with names]. Small questions like tire pressure and stuff they were a wealth of knowledge, and they all wanted us to have fun and be safe. They hammered home a few points, but if I had to pick one thing that stuck the most was ďcontrolĒ. Being in control not matter what, not letter fear take over, and just stay in control. Be smooth, and eventually youíll be fast. I highly recommend doing a day with Ride Smart and if you donít cheat yourself, GO TO THE CLASS SESSIONS, I promise youíll pick up some good stuff.

Now for the track:
I have to admit, my first session out I was pretty timid and more than once thought, ďwhat have I gotten myself into?Ē, but towards the end of the first session I was starting to loosen up, and enjoy myself. As the day went on there were some corners I took to immediately and others that took some time. By the end of the day I was having FUN and getting a little more aggressive each lap, I would have ridden another few sessions if I could.

Turn 1 I had a hard time building confidence in just because its soooo fast, and the slippery spots later in the day didnít help anything. The instructors told us to stay wide, outside of the sealer, and it turned out to be a really good line for me. Though by the last 2 sessions I was coming in tight inside of the sealer and was able to carry a decent amount of speed through.
Turn 2 I struggled with for some reason, never using all the track. I kept taking it tight for fear of running out of track by pushing wide, even though I never came close.
Turn 3 I took to pretty fast, and charged wheelie hill every time just about.
Turn 4 is one that I attacked harder than others for some reason, I felt really comfortably there.
Turns 5 and 6, it took me all day to find what I felt was a good line, but the last session I felt I had done well on it.
Turn 7 and 8 I also had a hard time building confidence because you really canít see all of 8 till youíre at the top of the hill.
Turn 9 I liked, and I really like 10 by the end of the day. Early in the day I would go pretty slow thru 10 and stand the bike up and then take turn 11. After listening to the instructors and them showing us video, I would consciously think, ďhold it, hold it, hold it, NOWĒ, making the transition from 10 to 11 one smooth motion. There were a few time I blew turn 10 by carring to much speed, I still made 11 I was just poorly set up for it.
Turn 11 and 12 were fine.
Turns 13, 14 and 15 have to be one of my favorite spots. I loved it from the first session all the way till the last, I just thought it was fun.
The big front straight was the only place I cared to look at the speedo, I only got to about 120ish, the little sv just doesnít have it, and I was getting blown past by bigger bikes.

There were several times out there I got stuck behind slower but bigger bikes and couldnít get past, because at every straight they hammered it and I donít have the hp to keep up. It was all good though, it forced me to really concentrate on my lines, though I didnít build up the nerve to pass on the outside till the last few sessions. I still need a lot of work on my body position, but towards the end of the day I was getting comfortable coming off the bike a little. One cool note, I donít want to sound like Iím bragging, but I got smoothest rider for level 1 for the day. It totally caught me off guard, but made me feel good, and actually boosted my confidence a little out on the track.

All in all, it was a great day, AWESOME experience, and I canít wait to go back. If youíre one the fence about it at all, what are you waiting for, youíll not regret it.

Again I have to give props to RideSmart and the instructors, you guys made my first track day great!
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
28th Nov TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart Track Day Silent636 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 11-09-2009 08:56 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 9.01.2008 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) College Stn - $100 LABOR DAY EVENT dhdrider Ridesmart Motorcycle School 45 08-18-2008 09:12 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart TWS (Texas World Speedway) track day - follow up Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 21 03-26-2008 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
[poser]
"the un-original"

Bike(s):

Here’s a few pics of the day…

and is it just me or do I look huge on my bike?

I think this one is turn 4 maybe...

meonthetrackmedium

and this one is turn 6 for sure...

turn6a

here's a few shots from the paddock...

TWSa

TWSb

TWSc

TWSe

TWSf

and my new tires got really scrubbed in...

TWSd
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Written like an article in a magazine... Glad you enjoyed yourself.

PS- The instructor w/ the accent is Slavek. (Polish by birth - hence the accent)

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Written like an article in a magazine... Glad you enjoyed yourself.

PS- The instructor w/ the accent is Slavek. (Polish by birth - hence the accent)

...you are obliterating my covert identity here dhd...lol.
Glad to hear you had a good time poser. Anytime you want to attend, let us know and we will be happy to have you.
Thanks.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
you da man

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

I see my bike!!! You guys were jammed up on that end of the paddock like sardines . glad you had a great time.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
fly_737

Bike(s):
07 r6

congrats on the smoothest rider.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Good job

Sounds like you accomplished what should be everyone's objectives at their first track day-

1. You didn't crash
2. You learned something
3. You had fun!

Congrats, now scour the internet posted schedules for your next hits...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Sounds like you had a great time, I can't wait to do a track day.

Oh, you make you bike look tiny.lol
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
slo_rdr

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

Sounds like you had a great day out there - & good write up - That's me in the black shirt talking to my buddy Vince in the 2nd to last pic west side of Paddock 3 - I'm usually pitted there when I ride - stop by next time & say hey. Also, Chris (solracer) & others from MH & Ride Smart were pitted almost opposite of you in Paddock 3.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

...great job poser. As tomLSTD said, on your first day, if you did not crash and had fun, you are right where you should be. We do see some noobs come in trying to impress instructors with their riding, but in reality they just place themselves and their bikes at risk for injury/damage. Since none of us get trophies for track days, your approach is just the way it should be.
And besides, gotta go slow to go fast. Keep it up and who knows, maybe we will see you on TV. Congrats on the smoothest rider win.

Until next time.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #11
[poser]
"the un-original"

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Sounds like you had a great time, I can't wait to do a track day.

Oh, you make you bike look tiny.lol
I told my wife I need a bigger bike, and a trasck only bike. She just rolled her eyes and said, "I knew this would happen"
I wonder how much time I'll pick up if I loose 10lbs or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
...great job poser. As tomLSTD said, on your first day, if you did not crash and had fun, you are right where you should be. We do see some noobs come in trying to impress instructors with their riding, but in reality they just place themselves and their bikes at risk for injury/damage. Since none of us get trophies for track days, your approach is just the way it should be.
And besides, gotta go slow to go fast. Keep it up and who knows, maybe we will see you on TV. Congrats on the smoothest rider win.

Until next time.
thanks! but I doubt you'll ever see me on TV, though after this I would not be apposed to some real races [novice] in a few years after I get a dozen or so of these under my belt. I work with a guy who use to race back in the 80's and early 90's, he keeps telling me I need to get on an endurance team. I just tell him I'm FAR from that point

when I was into auto cross they teach you the same thing,
smooth = fast
Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
mojo
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
2006 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
....when I was into auto cross they teach you the same thing, smooth = fast
It's exactly the same thing on bikes. I found when I started riding the track on my bike that a lot of the same concepts from my autocrossing years transfer over especially those concepts of keeping the suspension settled.

Congrats on being named the smoothest rider on your first day out.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
[poser]
"the un-original"

Bike(s):

It's funny how consumed I am by it already, I'm jone'n for my next track day, and I've been thinking a lot and visualizing where I need to and can improve at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

When I was putting the bike back together my wife came out in the garage with me for a while and said, "this looks like kind of a pain. Wouldn't it be easier to have a seperate bike just for this?"
I looked at her and said, "Woman don't play with me!"
she couldn't hold it in and started laughing, cruel joke I say
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
It's funny how consumed I am by it already, I'm jone'n for my next track day, and I've been thinking a lot and visualizing where I need to and can improve at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

When I was putting the bike back together my wife came out in the garage with me for a while and said, "this looks like kind of a pain. Wouldn't it be easier to have a seperate bike just for this?"
I looked at her and said, "Woman don't play with me!"
she couldn't hold it in and started laughing, cruel joke I say
Very cruel!!! You should go buy one and when she says something you can just remind her of when she said that and then the joke will be on her! Mwaahahaaa

great write-up and advice on all the preparations you took!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
To give you some motivation for weight loss........7 pounds = 1 horsepower.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
[poser]
"the un-original"

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
To give you some motivation for weight loss........7 pounds = 1 horsepower.
yeah but how much speed on the top end will weight loss get me

Advertisement