MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Down on HP after mods?

Folks,
Recently had Motorcycles Unlimited install a PowerCommand USB, Ignition module, and quick shifter installed. Also went -1 on the front sprocket and had a speedo healer installed.

I verified the speedo healer with my GPS. Speedo is dead nuts on. Validated the map in the PowerCommander... it's the correct map - '07 with stock exhaust and filter. Checked the air filter, and it looks good.

I seem to be down on high end HP. Bike accelerates strong to 160 or so and then seems to hit a wall. Might also explain the paltry 162 on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 140ish at MSR Houston.

Any ideas? Since I'm -1 on the front sprocket, is it the 300 kph limiter kicking in?

If your recommendation is a custom map, who can do it in one trip and what's it cost? I'd rather not make two trips to the shop and pay twice for something that should have been done correctly the first time.

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockers Vs Mods, nope, it's bicyclists vs Mods grsa Off Topic 1 05-11-2014 06:05 PM
Hp Touchpad JROD Off Topic 5 08-24-2011 09:53 PM
HP You On You Project gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 08-15-2009 06:11 PM
hp mod? switch General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 11-04-2008 03:42 AM
03 600rr hp vs 06 zx-6r hp Solracer Performance and Modifications 106 08-04-2007 12:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I'd rather not make two trips to the shop and pay twice for something that should have been done correctly the first time.
-Curt
hmm..lets see. You admit you dont know what is wrong, but you'll still accuse someone of not doing something right the first time.

and this thread right after you got all defensive after Patrick's comments in the "what would you do" thread.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Folks,
Recently had Motorcycles Unlimited install a PowerCommand USB, Ignition module, and quick shifter installed. Also went -1 on the front sprocket and had a speedo healer installed.

I verified the speedo healer with my GPS. Speedo is dead nuts on. Validated the map in the PowerCommander... it's the correct map - '07 with stock exhaust and filter. Checked the air filter, and it looks good.

I seem to be down on high end HP. Bike accelerates strong to 160 or so and then seems to hit a wall. Might also explain the paltry 162 on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 140ish at MSR Houston.

Any ideas? Since I'm -1 on the front sprocket, is it the 300 kph limiter kicking in?

If your recommendation is a custom map, who can do it in one trip and what's it cost? I'd rather not make two trips to the shop and pay twice for something that should have been done correctly the first time.

-Curt
go see waylon @ NW Honda . he is the dyno guy there. he got Jeff an extra 3hp outt his 1000rr.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
hmm..lets see. You admit you dont know what is wrong, but you'll still accuse someone of not doing something right the first time.

and this thread right after you got all defensive after Patrick's comments in the "what would you do" thread.
he thinks he can take over my status as MH's #1 A-Hole
Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

It shouldn't be a limiter as you have a speedo healer in my opinion.

I agree with Jody though. Go see Waylon at NW Honda and have him dyno tune it for you. Depending on how busy they are it should just be a few hours work if that.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
I dont know about that dude, he'd have a lot of work to put in. You seem rather dedicated

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post

Hey Dumbass, I said that I had validated that the map was correct and the speedo healer was spot on. Patrick doesn't do dyno tunes, we had already discussed it. That means the work was done correctly. Quit starting more *hit.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Dude you are -1 down in the front that will limit your top speed and give you low end grunt did you do the gearing change the same time that you did the PowerCommand USB, Ignition module??

-1 makes you loose top speed ... sounds like you are just running out of gear man
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Dude you are -1 down in the front that will limit your top speed and give you low end grunt did you do the gearing change the same time that you did the PowerCommand USB, Ignition module??

-1 makes you loose top speed ... sounds like you are just running out of gear man
Definitely not running out of gear.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Hey Dumbass, I said that I had validated that the map was correct and the speedo healer was spot on. That means the work was done correctly. Quit starting more *hit.
I still think putting it on a dyno to see where your A/F is at is worth something and a tune would most likely be better than the standard DJ map, if thats what is in there now.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Hey Dumbass, I said that I had validated that the map was correct and the speedo healer was spot on. Patrick doesn't do dyno tunes, we had already discussed it. That means the work was done correctly. Quit starting more *hit.
Go back to OEM stock gearing for you bike and your top speed will come back bro and dont worry about these other little things
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
jodyhudson

Quote:
Folks,

-Curt

why on earth would u ride TWS (Texas World Speedway) with a -1 front sprocket. Geeez. u musta hit the rev limiter right after the start/finish line.... either that or ur just sloooooow !

Last edited by jodyhudson; 06-24-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
I think that role belongs to a certain girl.

as much as I love her to death lol.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

putting a run of the mill map gets you run of the mill results, nothing to do w/ M/U

vs custom mapping. go see andy at metric

~$300
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
why on earth would u ride TWS (Texas World Speedway) with a -1 front sprocket. Geeez. u musta hit the rev limiter right after the start/finish line....
even on a 1000?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
even on a 1000?
yep. i roll with stock gearing (16/44) on my 1000rr and still hit the limiter goin down the banking into T1.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I still think putting it on a dyno to see where your A/F is at is worth something and a tune would most likely be better than the standard DJ map, if thats what is in there now.
I validated the map. It's absolutely correct, I used the map comparison feature. I've heard both that the generic maps are ok and that the generic maps are . Sounds like a dyno tune is in my future. Thanks for the tip on NW Honda.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Definitely not running out of gear.
so its just hitting a wall at 160? its a 1k right should run higher than 160 ... something is wrong are you sure you dont hear it tapping the rev limiter ?

Well at least I know that my Busa will Kill you quick ... Hope you get the problem fixed man sorry I could not help ya
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Think I paid $150 at NW Honda...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
+1 heard a lot of good things about Andy and his custom mapping. Nothing but praise when it comes to that.

J
Andy is is full of fluff and BS....

Advertisement