MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Ridesmart

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Thumbs up RideSmart Track Day - June 21, 2008 - FOLLOW UP

What a great day, despite the sealer that was placed in turn 1 by the track owners.
We did get a word that the sealer was being put there on Friday, and had a look at it. It was stated the sealer will be no problem, but on the day of the event, when the sun really heated everything up, it turned out the sealer became very viscous and caused many riders to re-evaluate their lines. There were a couple of downs in that turn due to the sealer. Everyone was asked to be careful and choose lines that are not over the sealer, then things were much better.

Other than the sealer 'event', things did go smooth. The sun did come down hard on us after lunch, and from what I saw, there were several people who got worn down and decided to call it a day (thumbs up for a good call on your part )

There were some people taking pics in cw stations. It would be great if you could post them to some free pic hosting site and let the peeps in all levels have a link to them (if you do have a link, post it in here so all can view - thanks in advance).

We really appreciate your support and attendance. Please send us any feedback to ridesmart@mac.com. The feedback will be reviewed and used to continue our school improvement.

Our next event is at ECR on July 19 and July 20, so if you are gearing to see ECR, this will be a good time to get on board with us.

Take care, and remember, keep the rubber parts down.

Last edited by Ridesmart; 06-23-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day ROLL CALL - June 21, 2008 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 101 06-24-2008 02:27 PM
RideSmart Trivia Contest - June 21, 2008 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 21 06-19-2008 04:11 PM
RideSmart Corner Work - June 21, 2008 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 1 06-12-2008 03:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day June 7, 2008 - PRICE REDUCTION Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 05-19-2008 11:11 AM
RideSmart TWS (Texas World Speedway) track day - follow up Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 21 03-26-2008 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
[poser]
"the un-original"

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

The day was GREAT!
You guys really put on an outstanding event, I totally had a blast. I would have gone more sessions if the day wasn't over. I really felt like I was picking up the pace the last 2 sessions of the day.

mega cudos to the lever 1 instructors, you guys made my first ever track day even better.

I will surely be back with you guys
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

thanks guys for a great event out at TWS (Texas World Speedway), it was my first track day and you guys made an impression on me big time....thanks to all the instructors as well.

I too would have loved to keep going a few more sessions before leaving, definitely will be coming back to TWS (Texas World Speedway), that track is a blast.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
level5
moving chicane

Thanks Ridesmart. It was a great day, I did slide a couple of times over the spot but got hold and control and change my lines. It was hot and I can barely finishing up the session. Can't wait til the next track day. Eagle's Canyon $100/day, July 19-20. That's cheap. Come on peeps, here is your chance to ride Eagle's Canyon. It's like 2 for 1 trackday special.

Thanks Ridesmart for making it easy on our wallet at a tough time/economy we are going through.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

Turn 1 was pretty bad with 4 crashes there. I was cornerworking 1 b/c everybody said high-speed not much happens. Man was that a shocker seeing all those people go down there. At least everybody was okay afterward.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

They day was great for most, my bike didnt run right, so I didnt get to play much...

Hats off the the Ride Smart team for putting on a good event, the situation in turn 1 was handled well after they found out what was going on.

The production was very professional and you can tell they have done this a while... my only gripe is that there were a bit more bikes out on the track than I normally like...but hey, if you are looking for some traffic to pass, its there.

Ill have to try level 3 or 4 next time.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Yeah same here, lots of bikes in my way. I was told to move up to level 3 for next time so that was good. I graduated. Woo hoo!
Yeah turn 1 was bad, but in my opinion the instructors should have done a better job of letting people know sooner before there was downed riders there. Some riders tend to believe the instructor whole heartedly and when youíre told that the sealer would be fine through there by racers/instructors because itís some super doper Rye no sealer that gives good grip you tend to believe it. I always tend to have caution around new sealer laid down so I steered clear of it taking the inside line through there the whole day and even then I went slow because that stuff was everywhere seemed like. I think it was negligence on the track owner to put down sealer the day before a track event, but hey I didnít see it before the sealer. Maybe it was worse, but my instructor thought it was just fine before the sealer and the last time I was out there I would of rather delt with the cracks instead of the sealer. On another note itís good they are trying to fix the track up, but Iím still waiting for the back section to be fixed. Last time out there the owner said to look for the back straight to be fixed. I guess he couldnít get to it yet.
Oh well the track was still assume with only turn 1 being the only issue and I picked up more speed out there in sections I didnít before, plus my instructor was totally cool and gave me some helpful advice. The later half of the day had a lot less people out there, but the sun took a beating on me so I slowed down and then called it a day early and missed the last session.
See ya out there next time.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
06gsxr1000pg

Bike(s):
2006 Gsxr 1000

I rode with you on the second to last session. I had just got bumped up to level two and I thought you were faster than the rest. Congrats on the promotion!

The instructor in level one was telling all of us to take a high line in one because of the sealer. I guess the inside line would have been faster?

What kind of race fairings did you have on your gsxr? clean bike.
see you next time.
06gsxr1000pg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

yeah the instructors were telling us level one guys pretty early to go wide to avoid the slick stuff. to be honest I didn't think it got all that slick untill it got really hot out side.
they also told us, since we're n00bs to stay outside of the stripe to help others merging on out of pit lane. but the last two sessions [especially the last when level 1 and 2 were mixed] I was taking the inside line, and it felt great
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

From my perspective, the issue w/ the sealer escalated very rapdily. I was instructing/riding in level 1 and rode in level 4 twice in the morning, and twice w/ level 2 in the morning. There were no issues w/ the sealer all morning. All was well. Then we took lunch break and the track temp sky-rocketed and after lunch it was bad. One session great, the next, bad.

I support the other instructors who tell you that the sealer offers good grip, because it does (in the dry). The issue was that it was too new and appeared to be put in a bit thick.

Overall a great day, though. I guess I'll take 100+ temps over rain any day...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gsxr1000pg View Post
I rode with you on the second to last session. I had just got bumped up to level two and I thought you were faster than the rest. Congrats on the promotion!

The instructor in level one was telling all of us to take a high line in one because of the sealer. I guess the inside line would have been faster?

What kind of race fairings did you have on your gsxr? clean bike.
see you next time.

thanks man that's good to hear, because I was actually going alot slower that session from the other earlier ones. Getting old I guess.
The fairings I run are E-racing and Tony painted them for me. Not bad for only $342 to my door. Stop by next time so I can put a face to your sig. We were set up along the fence with the 3 blue tents. Probably be setting up in the same place next time out there to.
See Ya man
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
...I guess I'll take 100+ temps over rain any day...

..amen on that.

I am sure TWS (Texas World Speedway) owners are already making changes to the thick layer of sealer they laid down. Hope this will be fixed soon so we can continue to enjoy the great T1-T2 at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement