Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Spoiler- MotoGP Donnington

Well, I thought the race was very good! I had a feeling that Stoner was going to get away eventually, he was in a "zone" to be sure!

I was really happy to see Rossi fend off Pedrosa- I think Pedrosa is the new Gibbernau to Rossi! As long as Rossi's bike and tires are working well, I don't think that Pedrosa can beat him.

I was sick to see Toseland toss it in turn 1! I was hoping he would be top 5 at least! Pushed too hard I guess? Although he didn't look like he was going any faster through that corner at the time.

Edwards had a very respectable finish, and I enjoyed watching Hayden run well with the "air engine". This begs the question though- Hayden got what he wanted, yet he was still not able to run up front or even keep up with his team mate who was riding an "inferior" machine... is it pure ability now that divides Pedrosa and Hayden? I'd hate to think that's true.

I wish Spies would have been able to do better. I hated to see him fall back further and further... hopefully, he'll rebound and take the Indy and Laguna races to another level.

WTF was going on with Dovi? That kid was railin' at first, then just got sucked up during the race? I'm looking for interviews from him now so I can see what he's saying the issues were.

All in all, a great race I thought.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSBK Donnington. BMW. it's german for teamwork SPOILER Grinchy Taking it to the Track 23 05-14-2012 08:50 PM
SPOILER Donnington WSBK Superpole Grinchy Taking it to the Track 0 09-06-2008 05:33 PM
MotoGP Donnington FP1 SPOILER SCRC John Taking it to the Track 26 06-22-2008 05:29 AM
*** SPOILER *** wsbk donnington... hfa3g11 Taking it to the Track 16 04-03-2007 01:10 PM
Are you this tough? *Donnington WSBK Spoiler* Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-02-2007 02:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
What was the gap in front of Rossi at the end? I saw it get up to almost 6 seconds at one point... Stoner was only racing himself after the 5th lap or so.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
What was the gap in front of Rossi at the end? I saw it get up to almost 6 seconds at one point... Stoner was only racing himself after the 5th lap or so.
It was a little further than the 5th lap, it was around lap 15 or so when he gapped them well enough that there was little hope. MotoGP is a conundrum though, mid race, a gap like that sometimes turns out to be no gap as the bikes get lighter (less fuel) and tires wear. Not this race though, I think it was a no-brainer that unless Stoner tossed the bike, he was gonna win this one.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
It was pretty funny to see pedrosa workin his off and he finally passed Rossi, then Rossi just jumped inside and passed him back up for 2nd on the very next turn. He's good.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

That race proved my point how Dingo is a "winner" and not a racer. Everyone is shouting how he's back on track and a return to form from Dingo and Ducati. Ok, so he got it right for one weekend. If he does well again at Assen this weekend, then ok, say Dingo is on a return to form and everyone jump on his bandwagon. I loved it last year at Assen when Rossi (gay suit and bike livery notwithstanding) came from 11th on the grid to smite little Dingo and win the race. Then Dingo's bike ran out of gas on the cool down lap, that was funny too. He's got skill I admit, but if you ask me, Dingo is only made to really run out front of everyone and get away that way. When he has to fight it out lap after lap, fending off passes turn after turn, he gets rattled and eventually succumbs. Hayden had a decent pace int eh early race but then dropped down the order. Wonder what happened to Hopper's bike?
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1701 View Post
When he has to fight it out lap after lap, fending off passes turn after turn, he gets rattled and eventually succumbs. Hayden had a decent pace int eh early race but then dropped down the order. Wonder what happened to Hopper's bike?
I disagree with that. Last year, Rossi harassed Stoner on more than one occasion, with pass after pass after pass, and Stoner held strong to win the races. The only reason I think he appears "rattled" this year is because he hasn't been comfortable with the bike and things weren't working well for him.

Hoppy had some kind of mechnical, I wonder what happened too.

Season's still young, the championship is definitely still up for grabs!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

I know, look at Catalan GP of 07. Dingo and ROssi went round and round till the last corner, I gave Dingo a LOT of credit for that, BUT, he freely said that wasn't his best "race" even though he won and fended off Rossi because he had to duke it out. His best "races" in his mind are the ones where he has a 4 second lead on everyone. Mini Me has the same winner mantality too if you ask me. Yes they both can do it, but consistently when they do win a race it's because they've left the number 2 spot in the dust. Makes for a boring race if you ask me. I'm a bigger Rossi fan than Dingo fan, but I do think he's not bad.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
What did Spies place after all?
This is early in the season and too early to name a champ.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
I know, look at Catalan GP of 07. Dingo and ROssi went round and round till the last corner, I gave Dingo a LOT of credit for that, BUT, he freely said that wasn't his best "race" even though he won and fended off Rossi because he had to duke it out. His best "races" in his mind are the ones where he has a 4 second lead on everyone. Mini Me has the same winner mantality too if you ask me. Yes they both can do it, but consistently when they do win a race it's because they've left the number 2 spot in the dust. Makes for a boring race if you ask me. I'm a bigger Rossi fan than Dingo fan, but I do think he's not bad.
I think if you polled the riders in Motogp.... any motorsport for that matter. What would you consider a better victory, one where you barley beat someone or when you crush them by more that 6 seconds. I would bet $$ most would say the crushing victory is better. Why? We all know just about every rider in Motogp is a good rider. The bike & tire packages are very large part of the equation. A crushing defeat like what we had at Donnington, just shows how well Stoner can ride & develope the machine/tire package around his riding. He just got it right...er than everyone else. It is refreshing seeing the #1 plate actually backing things up a little. Something we lacked last year.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I was really happy to see Rossi fend off Pedrosa- I think Pedrosa is the new Gibbernau to Rossi! As long as Rossi's bike and tires are working well, I don't think that Pedrosa can beat him.

Edwards had a very respectable finish, and I enjoyed watching Hayden run well with the "air engine". This begs the question though- Hayden got what he wanted, yet he was still not able to run up front or even keep up with his team mate who was riding an "inferior" machine... is it pure ability now that divides Pedrosa and Hayden? I'd hate to think that's true.
Pedrosa sure has matured as a racer he may not be Rossi but that boy is ice cold hardly ever making mistakes now.

I don't completely believe that Pedro is a better rider than Hayden yet. If Hayden goes to Ducati I'll bet he will improve and do much better. Also, they said something about him having to switch bikes right before the race. I'm wondering if he had the new engine in that bike.

Oh yeah, Dovi is starting to look great. I think what they are saying about Hayden maybe going to Ducati and Dovi signing on with Repsol would be a great switch.

Quote:
That race proved my point how Dingo is a "winner" and not a racer. Everyone is shouting how he's back on track and a return to form from Dingo and Ducati. Ok, so he got it right for one weekend. If he does well again at Assen this weekend, then ok, say Dingo is on a return to form and everyone jump on his bandwagon.
Stoner is an awsome rider. The old 250 battles between him and Pedro were some of the best racing I've seen. Though Pedro would win the championship, Stoner was my favorite watching him chase the lead down. Similar to the Dovi and Lorenzo battles. One thing is forsure... when Stoner is in harmony with the bike and says he feels good, you can bet on him checking out for the race.

In my opinion the most talented riders are Rossi, Lorenzo, then Stoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
I think if you polled the riders in Motogp.... any motorsport for that matter. What would you consider a better victory, one where you barley beat someone or when you crush them by more that 6 seconds. I would bet $$ most would say the crushing victory is better. Why? We all know just about every rider in Motogp is a good rider. The bike & tire packages are very large part of the equation. A crushing defeat like what we had at Donnington, just shows how well Stoner can ride & develope the machine/tire package around his riding. He just got it right...er than everyone else. It is refreshing seeing the #1 plate actually backing things up a little. Something we lacked last year.

John
Right on
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post

John
Yea, but screw what they want. As a fan I think it is sorta boring. I think stoner should have done a wheelie or something waited till rossi caught up then start racing again.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

MotoGP Race Classification PDF
Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Motorcycle Total time Km/h Gap
1 25 1 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 44'44.982 161.820
2 20 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 44'50.771 161.471 5.789
3 16 2 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 44'53.329 161.318 8.347
4 13 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Tech 3 Yamaha Yamaha 44'57.660 161.059 12.678
5 11 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP Honda 44'59.783 160.932 14.801
6 10 48 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 45'00.672 160.879 15.690
7 9 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Repsol Honda Team Honda 45'03.178 160.730 18.196
8 8 7 Chris VERMEULEN AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 45'06.648 160.524 21.666
9 7 56 Shinya NAKANO JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 45'14.336 160.070 29.354
10 6 13 Anthony WEST AUS Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki 45'26.012 159.384 41.030
11 5 24 Toni ELIAS SPA Alice Team Ducati 45'29.408 159.186 44.426
12 4 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 45'31.181 159.082 46.199
13 3 50 Sylvain GUINTOLI FRA Alice Team Ducati 45'33.713 158.935 48.731
14 2 11 Ben SPIES USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 45'34.573 158.885 49.591
15 1 15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 46'07.168 157.013 1'22.186
16 33 Marco MELANDRI ITA Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 46'15.003 156.570 1'30.021
17 52 James TOSELAND GBR Tech 3 Yamaha Yamaha 45'32.234 153.720 1 Lap
Not classified
21 John HOPKINS USA Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki 24'18.021 14 Lap
Other Results (Race)
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Yea, but screw what they want. As a fan I think it is sorta boring. I think stoner should have done a wheelie or something waited till rossi caught up then start racing again.
I would love to see that
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Well, I thought the race was very good! I had a feeling that Stoner was going to get away eventually, he was in a "zone" to be sure!

I was sick to see Toseland toss it in turn 1! I was hoping he would be top 5 at least! Pushed too hard I guess? Although he didn't look like he was going any faster through that corner at the time.

I wish Spies would have been able to do better. I hated to see him fall back further and further... hopefully, he'll rebound and take the Indy and Laguna races to another level.

WTF was going on with Dovi? That kid was railin' at first, then just got sucked up during the race? I'm looking for interviews from him now so I can see what he's saying the issues were.

All in all, a great race I thought.
Quote:
and I enjoyed watching Hayden run well with the "air engine". This begs the question though- Hayden got what he wanted, yet he was still not able to run up front or even keep up with his team mate who was riding an "inferior" machine... is it pure ability now that divides Pedrosa and Hayden? I'd hate to think that's true.
Hayden had to start the race on his No2 bike Tom.
Around one third distance he was "distracted" by a warning light apparantly and knocked it back a notch for a bit.
and yes it was the new "air" engine!!

Quote:
Gutted I was
Sadly james tries toooooooo hard sometimes.
The Reverand Randy mamola reckons he should give up the piano playing and the masses of PR work he does and concentrate solely on the task in hand.
I make him right

Quote:
As Americans go, only John "'" Kocinski has qualified better in his debut ride in the blue riband class and he had a winter of testing behind him.
BS faced dry, wet and windy conditions on a track that is notoriously slippery and difficult to learn without wrecking once.
He ran Bridgestones after running AMA on Dunlops.
And of course he was riding a MotoGP bike in anger for the first time, the 08 bike being quite different to the 07 bike he tested in Valencia at the end of last year.
I think this ride was a big big ask of him as I've said before and IMO he did as well as could be reasonably expected, possibly better, out there amongst the best in the world.
As viewing public we liked him, not as much as CE cause we love that guy but give him time.

Now Stoner on the other hand
have you seen the "Stoner critical of British GP fans" articles??
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Now Stoner on the other hand
have you seen the "Stoner critical of British GP fans" articles??

HAHHAHHAHa
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Dont overlook the fact that the *other* Texan in the race placed 4th!!
Gooooooo Colin!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
BKLYNBULLET
OFF!

yeah so happy to see colin up in the top 5 in pretty much every race! really sucked for james first turn. it!
BKLYNBULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
As Americans go, only John "'" Kocinski has qualified better in his debut ride in the blue riband class and he had a winter of testing behind him.
BS faced dry, wet and windy conditions on a track that is notoriously slippery and difficult to learn without wrecking once.
He ran Bridgestones after running AMA on Dunlops.
And of course he was riding a MotoGP bike in anger for the first time, the 08 bike being quite different to the 07 bike he tested in Valencia at the end of last year.
I think this ride was a big big ask of him as I've said before and IMO he did as well as could be reasonably expected, possibly better, out there amongst the best in the world.
As viewing public we liked him, not as much as CE cause we love that guy but give him time.
I would also like to add that per Ben's comments, he had a difficult time finding his rhythm at the beginning of the race, hence falling back, but towards the end he felt he had the speed to gain back some positions given enough time. His fastest lap was less than a second off of Hayden's - not bad. Definitely, he belongs in MotoGP.

http://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Sta...Fast+Lap+Rider
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Great race.

Good battle between Rossi and Pedrosa........some interesting passing from both of them.

Not a big Stoner fan, but I'm glad his a threat again and making the championship that much more exciting.

IMO, Spies represented well and showed just how much of a promising rider he's going to be on that level. I mean seriously, he qualified infront of Pedrosa......WTF?

-Adam
Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
IMO, Spies represented well and showed just how much of a promising rider he's going to be on that level. I mean seriously, he qualified infront of Pedrosa......WTF?
Not to belittle the feat at all, because I am a big Spies fan, but Pedrosa is notorious for being slow in the rain. He hates the rain.

All that said, it's incredible that Speez gets on the bike a total of 4 times and qualifies 8th, in the rain/ wet, at Donington, etc, etc, etc...

Advertisement