MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

I can do the powdercoating for you, I also have black wrinkle in stock.
btw, I have an 04 with a Nallin Performance motor, one bad .
Right now im doing a completely different look with mad flake powdered tins and custom airbrush work, jockey shift, suicide clutch, hacked up cam cover and gloss black PC work with illusions in the clear for some color changing in the sunlight.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harleys are dangerous morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 09-11-2011 12:06 PM
No Cats on new harleys? Vividkid General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-22-2011 09:21 PM
New Harleys Triumphant General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-04-2011 09:53 AM
Harleys vs Women NoFear Off Topic 2 11-23-2007 12:39 PM
HARLEYS ARE GOLDEN..... FastLine Cruisers Lounge 13 04-18-2006 08:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
SFT2

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt SS #678/1399

Member Garage

Yup, that's the plan. I got a quote from ya in your forum. I have the primary cover in the garage waiting, still looking for cam and sprocket covers. I'm hoping to cut the "final" version of the brake and shifter levers this week and will bring those, too. Here's what those look like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lever.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	13627  
Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #23
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

jes' let me know when your ready. We can make it pimp indeed.
I'm waiting to get mine together so's I can blow the next MH bike of the month competition out of the water. wooooooot

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 AM   #24
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

After looking over the bare primary cover I scrounged up I've decided that the current (poorly) chromed one is in better shape. The aluminum cover has a gouge on the edge of the round bit at the front over the stator and I don't have a TIG handy. So now the plan is to pull the various covers off on August 6th (my birthday, woohoo!) and bring them down to you on the 7th. I'll be in Vegas from hte 8th to the 11th (I think), so it'll minimize downtime. Oh darn, I'll just have to ride the Buell while the XL is apart At the very least I'll haul down the primary, cam, and sprocket covers, possibly a pair of forward control levers, and there's a slim chance of a front rim and hub.

Speaking of the forward controls, I've finished testing the shifter and the only mechanical change is changing from a single pinch bolt to a pair of clamping bolts on the mounts. I made a pair of jam nuts today (yes, made. From scratch. It's tough to find stainless 5/16-24 nuts locally) and they took the very small amount of slop out of the system. I have the fixture made to machine the new levers and 2 blanks cut, so I'll have the production version done very soon. I've decided to go with a bellcrank system for the brake to cut down on flex in the linkage. It means a couple of extra parts (bellcrank, bearing, and pivot bolt), but the design is much more reliable.

More later, must attempt sleep again.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #25
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

^^^ sounds excellent, I cant wait to see the finished critter.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #26
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

So I get a big box from the guy in the brown truck last week. Woohoo! New tank is here! I drag myself out of the pool, run (dripping) through the house, slide on the tile in the front entry, and slam into the door (this isn't good, I'm 6'4" x 275 or so. Dented it pretty good). Drag the tank out of it's box and head to the garage. At this point I realize that there aren't any mounts with the tank. This, of course, resulted in much swearing. I had the welder halfway out of it's hiding spot when I calmed down enough to realize a- this is a used tank and may well blow the up if I strike an arc on it and 2- I might be able to get a new set of mounts if I figure out who made it. No such luck with the manufacturer, but I did find a shop near Lubbock that sells 'em. Was hoping they'd appear today, but the OOPS gods are apparently displeased with me. That's probably for the best, anyway. I still haven't picked up the fuel line needed to join the left and right tanks at the front, which means it'd leak fuel just as fast as I could put it in, or I could plug the line and have no vent. Either way it would result in my pushing a Harley down the road. So the new plan is to get the fuel line tomorrow (braided if I can find any) and have everything ready to drop the tank on when the mounts show up. I can pull the current tank off in about 3 minutes now and the new tank is even faster.

However, this leaves me with another problem. The tank is flat black, but the rest of the tins are a very cool looking metallic orange. Front fender is an easy fix. Remove, hang on wall, continue about business. The rear... yeah, not so much. I'm going to try to dig up another stock fender, trim it a bit, then paint it to match the tank. After that I'll start shopping for a pinstriper to do the tins and a couple of helmets. I have an idea to put the dreamcatcher back on the tank in a totally different way. More on that later.

Now I just have to figure out exactly where this oil leak is. It's either pushrod tubes or base gaskets. Either way I'm pulling the top end, making the jugs and heads black, and putting it back together without any leaks.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #27
MAXPAIN

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 HD Dyna Street Bob

it looks like it's comming a long. i work at Harley Davidson of the Woodlands i seen your scooter when you first got it. next time you come by ask for me. Max
MAXPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #28
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
So I get a big box from the guy in the brown truck last week. Woohoo! New tank is here! I drag myself out of the pool, run (dripping) through the house, slide on the tile in the front entry, and slam into the door (this isn't good, I'm 6'4" x 275 or so. Dented it pretty good). Drag the tank out of it's box and head to the garage. At this point I realize that there aren't any mounts with the tank. This, of course, resulted in much swearing. I had the welder halfway out of it's hiding spot when I calmed down enough to realize a- this is a used tank and may well blow the up if I strike an arc on it and 2- I might be able to get a new set of mounts if I figure out who made it. No such luck with the manufacturer, but I did find a shop near Lubbock that sells 'em. Was hoping they'd appear today, but the OOPS gods are apparently displeased with me. That's probably for the best, anyway. I still haven't picked up the fuel line needed to join the left and right tanks at the front, which means it'd leak fuel just as fast as I could put it in, or I could plug the line and have no vent. Either way it would result in my pushing a Harley down the road. So the new plan is to get the fuel line tomorrow (braided if I can find any) and have everything ready to drop the tank on when the mounts show up. I can pull the current tank off in about 3 minutes now and the new tank is even faster.

However, this leaves me with another problem. The tank is flat black, but the rest of the tins are a very cool looking metallic orange. Front fender is an easy fix. Remove, hang on wall, continue about business. The rear... yeah, not so much. I'm going to try to dig up another stock fender, trim it a bit, then paint it to match the tank. After that I'll start shopping for a pinstriper to do the tins and a couple of helmets. I have an idea to put the dreamcatcher back on the tank in a totally different way. More on that later.

Now I just have to figure out exactly where this oil leak is. It's either pushrod tubes or base gaskets. Either way I'm pulling the top end, making the jugs and heads black, and putting it back together without any leaks.
I can do the tank and fender and side covers if any in powder, pretty much any color and custom metallics and mad old school flake etc if you want. I can also do the jugs and heads in black PC.
I then can have Magic do his magic on the stuff, hes got mad pinstiping and paint talents and has been on monster garage and biker build off doing his .
visit our sponsors section and check out some of the pictures.
tanktop1

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #29
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Max,
I'll make sure to find ya next time I'm in there. Will likely be tonight or tomorrow.

Tim,
Your bike looks great, I'm hoping for half that good for mine. I'm thinking about the attached thing for the sides of the tank. It'll have to be chrome vinyl, I'm guessing. The hub hasn't gotten here yet, no clue if that'll make it before Thursday. Also got a rim that supposedly has good chrome. It was shipped yesterday, so maybe it'll appear in time. Then I'll need to round up some stainless spokes and figure out how to lace wheels. It's in the service manual, but there's more to it than just following directions. Pretty sure I have a piece of .75" 4130 sitting around that I can use to make a truing stand. I'll probably go overboard and make something that'll hold a dial indicator and spend 43 hours making the wheel perfect. Once that's done I'll put a new tire on it, have the HD dealer balance it with the coffin weights, and toss it on the bike.

OOPS guy didn't show up yesterday, and now I'm halfway expecting them to not deliver using the "hurricane" as an excuse. It's raining people. Welcome to Texas. Now go give the biker his parts.

Leaving for Vegas Friday. If I'm lucky I'll come home with half the money I take. If I'm really lucky I'll come home with enough to buy a Softail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_emblem.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	13966  
Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #30
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Well... that sucked. First my schedule went straight in the round file Thursday so I couldn't get my parts down to ScooterTrash before we took off for Vegas. Had a decent time there, but didn't win much (more than I lost, at least) and didn't get to go to the shooting range or nudie bar. Fortunately there was a box with a near new looking front hub waiting when I got home. Tim, I'll be either boxing it all up and shipping it down to you this week or hauling it down this weekend, whichever winds up working out for me.

Bike was running a bit rich tonight, so I leaned it out... while sitting on it, running, in the drive through fetching dinner. Yeah, you know you've been tuning a bike way too long when you can pull that one off. I don't think I even put her in neutral.

STILL no freakin' tank mounts. Called the idiots last Wed. and they told me that the parts would be to them Tuesday (yesterday) and they'd get a tracking number to me that afternoon. Nope, no tracking number. I'm calling tomorrow and if they haven't been shipped I'm cancelling the order. They didn't have a good excuse for why I was emailed that they shipped 2 weeks ago, either. Would have been nice if they'd sprung for faster shipping, but I doubt that'll happen. At this rate it'll be cheaper, faster, and easier to order a new tank just for the mounts.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #31
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Ok, screw Tejas Thump Cycles. Called them again about the tank mounts and they told me it would be next Tuesday, so I cancelled the ordere and find someone with the whole damned tank. Hopefully it'll be here early next week, then I can use the tank I already have while I paint the new one.

Put on a license plate frame with built in LED turn signals today. Decided it would be easier to run new wires, so I did just that, then snuck 'em in through the plate bracket so they're completely hidden. Once I got it all together they decided not to work. Hit either signal switch and both sides came on solid. Fortunately I'd seen that before on a ZX7R, so I put a ~40 ohm resistor on the hot wires before the signals. They still don't flash, but that's easy enough to fix with a pair of 10 ohm, 10 watt wirewound power resistors from hot to ground between the switch and LED arrays.

The next easy mod will be a new sissy bar. I think I'll go with the HD tall wrinkle black medallion style, and put the skull medallion in there. Hopefully I'll have some time on the mill to finish the forward controls and a few other bits and pieces in the next couple of weeks.

Still waiting for the front rim to get here before shipping everything off to Tim for a coat of black. Did manage to bead blast the primary and clutch covers last night, though. That took a while.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #32
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Maybe someone was trying to tell me something with this tank mount ordeal. I found pics of the bottom of a Kustomworks stretched tank and noticed a few things that didn't look right. Went out and studied my tank and I've now decided that it's not a Kustomworks, it's a Custom Chrome. This is good and bad. Good because it's built better, bad because the mounts are twice the cost, but at least CC lists them for sale.

Put the tall sissy bar on last night, just need to get the pad made. Front rim got here yesterday, too, so now I need to box up a huge pile of metal and haul or ship it across town.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #33
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

This is getting rediculous. Got a reply from the place I thought might have the Custom Chrome mount kit and they're backordered for 2 months. I was about to give up when I noticed something on Ebay. It's listed as a 57-78 Fat Bob tank mount kit, but it looks nearly identical to the kit specifically for this tank, so I bought it. Looks like I'll have to supply the bolt for the rear mounts, but I already have some 5/16 allthread in the garage along with some acorn nuts that'll finish it off nicely. willing this'll do it. I'm not counting on it at this point.

I'm thinking about the next hard project now. I really want to do away with the speedo and add a tach, so my plan is to write some code for a PIC, throw together an LED array, and machine a housing that'll piggyback on top of the handlebar clamp, which I'll machine flat. The tach signal is easy, pink wire on the coil. Speedo signal is only a little harder, a neodymium magnet on the brake rotor and a Hall effect sensor on the fork leg. I may wind up mounting it directly above the backbone on the tank since there's no gas there anyway, but there's not as much room.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #34
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

So the mounts got here today, without instructions. Took 20 seconds to figure out the back, 2 minutes to figure out the front, and 4 hours to come up with something for the coil. There was no configuration of parts that would mount the coil anywhere functional. But it's on. So I filled it up, went to put on my boots, and when I came out I found gas running down my battery. Of ****ing course. It leaks like a screen door on a submarine. I'm through dealing with this. I'm filing a claim against the asshat that sold it to me through paypal, leaving negative feedback on ebay, and buying a new one from someone reputable. This isn't even funny anymore.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #35
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
man, sorry you're having such a pita getting that tank to work out. if you're interested i saw a nightster tank for sale on hdforums, or craigslist (can't remember exactly which) for pretty cheap, around 200 if i remember correctly.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #36
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
man, sorry you're having such a pita getting that tank to work out. if you're interested i saw a nightster tank for sale on hdforums, or craigslist (can't remember exactly which) for pretty cheap, around 200 if i remember correctly.
I considered one of the newer tanks, but it's not a particularly easy swap. Have to fabricate mounts and then some kind of thing to replace the fuel pump. I believe it's a plate with a bung for a petcock, but never got far enough in the research to figure all of that out.

I've also considered having a king tank sectioned and widened. Unfortunately that's beyond my welding skill level, mostly because I don't have a welder capable of doing a decent job of it. Mine's a FCAW box that likes to blow holes in thin sheetmetal. Does a decent job on 14 ga. and up as long as I'm careful, though.

I might have gotten it sealed up. Now that the mounts are fabbed I can swap tanks in about 10 minutes, so I pulled off the new tank, put the old back on (have to head out of here in a few hours), then flipped the new tank over, hosed down the rear mount area with degreaser, build some dams out of duct tape, and filled the entire area with very thin epoxy. In theory it's flowed under the rear mount and completely encapsulated the leak. I'm going to put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank later and pump it up to about 10 PSI. If it's going to leak, that'll make it happen.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #37
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

This is promising. The epoxy was good and hard this morning, so I started putting things together to put some gas in it and check for leaks. First I had to pull a plug from one crossover nipple and got a nice blast of air out of it, so the left side (which was leaking before) is now sealed. Same from the right side. It's sitting with about 1/2 a gallon in it now and seems to be holding. I'll let it sit a while and if it still has gas in it tonight I'll put it back on. Unfortunately it looks like the joker I got it from didn't use fuel safe paint, so it's peeling off around both caps. Wonderful. I'll deal with that one later.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #38
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Well, the tank held gas for 24 hours, so the leak is sealed, but the paint is garbage. And I think I'm out of methylene chloride. Plan is to strip it, sand it to clean up any nastiness, then either rattlecan it or take it to Tim, assuming he can PC a tank that's had gas in it.

This weekend just hasn't been any fun. First I blew up my back again, then the AC in the house went out so it's been 85-90 degrees all weekend, and of course the tank mess. At least I managed to get a bike jack so I can yank off the rear wheel and go get a new tire on it. This one is shot. I think the useful life can now be measured as a negative number. At least it'll give me a chance to get out of the house to somewhere with AC for a couple of hours.

Spent some time studying the front hub I have sitting here deciding if I want dual disks (I don't) and noticed that there's nothing on it to drive a mechanical speedo, so it must have been off a fairly late model Sporty or Dyna. Not a major problem, just means I'll have to change the schedule a bit. I'll need to bore a .250" hole .375" deep on the right side, epoxy in a magnet flush with the surface, then take it to Tim. Then I need to machine a clamp that'll sit on the lower fork tube and hold a Hall effect sensor. I would have really prefered to put the sensor on the left side so I can run the wires with the brake line, but this'll work, too.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #39
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Today was a vast improvement over the weekend. AC got fixed yesterday, sanded the peeled edges of the tank paint, threw some gas resistant paint on it, and bolted it on. Seems to be holding gas and doesn't look too horrible. The fenders don't match, but I'll worry about that later. I found a trailer fender at Northern Tool that'll work perfectly on the rear end, and I'll order a blank for the front at some point.

Here's a pic of the new tank and sissy bar...

2801479978 b79384d00c o
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #40
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Decided screw it, I'll just paint the front fender. Looks half decent, at least. I'll make it look better when I take everything apart at some point after getting power back. Put on new mirrors today, too.

2866515941 29fcc9fffc o

2866525629 6becae6a91 o

Advertisement