MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
SFT2

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt SS #678/1399

Member Garage

Anyone know Harleys?

If things go right tomorrow I'll be bringing home a 93 Sporty 883 with a 1200 kit. I know a fair amount about Evolution 1203s since I have one in my Buell, but everything else is a bit of a mystery. I know that in 94 they switched to the big derby cover, but is the primary case mounting the same? As in, could I get a 94+ primary and swap it? I also want to put a bigger tank on it. It has a peanut, and I've never liked the look of that one. I'm guessing FX tanks are too big, but what about putting an '04+ tank on there? It's about the right shape.

I've considered adding 10 degress of rake, but I'll more than likely just wait for a deal on a Buell inverted front end. Drag bars are going on immediately, and all the lights, signals, etc. will get cleaned up while I'm at it.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harleys are dangerous morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 09-11-2011 12:06 PM
No Cats on new harleys? Vividkid General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-22-2011 09:21 PM
New Harleys Triumphant General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-04-2011 09:53 AM
Harleys vs Women NoFear Off Topic 2 11-23-2007 12:39 PM
HARLEYS ARE GOLDEN..... FastLine Cruisers Lounge 13 04-18-2006 08:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
as far as i know engine cases are the same, so a later model primary may work...i don't know about the trans side though. as for gas tanks, they changed the mounting style in 04 so i don't believe they're interchangable, and an FX tank definitely wouldn't work and would probably look way out of place.

post some pics of your new ride!
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Thumbs up

I dont really know the specifics of what your asking but I would bet that ScooterTrash would know. PM him and ask. He is always ready to help a fellow rider out...Good guy..
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

What kinda miles you got on that S2? How's she treat you?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Got the bike yesterday and rode it last night. It's strange, it feels lighter than the S2 on the freeway. I'm guessing that's because of so much less weight on the front wheel. Found out that the primary case is interchangable, because there's a 94+ case on there already. Now I'm hunting down either bare aluminum or wrinkle black cases. Drag bars, or at least some low rise bars, are going on tonight. I can't deal with these buckhorns. And it's got drag pipes. My ears are still ringing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
What kinda miles you got on that S2? How's she treat you?
good so far. 11800 or so miles. All I've had to fix is a leaking rocker box gasket a couple of weeks ago and a small jetting issue when I got the bike down here from Montana. Had to go richer since it had high altitude jetting originally.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Oops, forgot the (lousy) pic I was gonna attach. I'll take better ones when I have a few extra seconds to play with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	12967  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

It was raining, and I was bored, so I disassembled half of the Harley. Ok, not that much of it, but there's parts all over the place now. Pulled off the rocker boxes so I can take 'em to work, beadblast the crappy chrome off, and paint 'em black. They're in the dishwasher now (works better than a parts washer if you hose everything down with degreaser first). Hopefully I can manage to get 'em back in without scratching the out of the paint.

Next is black primary and cam cases, then the new tank and black paint.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

gotta love black cruisers... keep us posted. i'm interested in seeing what you do with it.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Ran out of time to take pics, but I got the rocker boxes back in today. Managed to get it done with one scratch about a 1/4" long. I probably should have thrown 'em in the oven for an hour or two, but didn't have time. Unfortunately there's one spot that didn't get paint on it, so I'll have to go back and touch it up somehow. I'm thinking about a mile of masking tape and a quick squirt or two. Next will be blasting the chrome off the ignition module and battery covers, gloss black paint, and this on the battery cover:

91718 02 M 1797b

Which will match the gas cap:

75097 05 M 205ddeleted
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Well that was fun. I've rediscovered why I rarely let anyone else work on my bike. The mechanic that tuned up the Sporty apparently didn't understand the basics of jetting a Keihin CV carb. The high speed circuit was in good shape, but the idle circuit was way, way out. Idle mix screw was 4.5 turns out and the pilot jet was a #40. Stock XL1200s have a #42 pilot and the screw should be somewhere close to 2 turns out. I put in a #45 pilot and wound up with 3 turns out, and now she's running pretty close to right. I know it's the overall gearing, but now the Sporty feels like she has more power than my Buell. Whacking the throttle open from cruise stretches your arms nicely.

Got the skull gas cap on and a bare aluminum primary cover got here today. I'm going to see if I can do a little creative machining to make an 04+ clutch cover fit since that's the only way the skull cover can be had. I think drilling and tapping 4 holes will make it work. It's not ideal since the stock setup has case bosses with blind holes for the clutch cover screws, and making new holes will mean having to seal them somehow. The forward controls are coming along slowly. The mounts are more or less done, not pretty, but functional. I'll make a new set on the CNC mill once I've worked out all the geometry. Funny part is that the mounts turned out to be a B# tuning fork. Rings like a bell.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):
'09 HD Ultra Classic (yes it's purple)
'69 HD Electra Glide (Pink Panther) Gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
'04 Honda Shadow 1100 (wife traded it for a street glide)

This looks like it's gonna be cool! Is there a target date for public veiwing yet?

Ehesians 2:1-10
CMA.ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

can't wait to see it!
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

I ride every day, or at least most of 'em, but I don't expect to be done until at least the middle of August. Hoping to get some powdercoating done while I'm in Vegas next month, then paint after I get back. Going to stop and get some stuff to use as the pivots on the forward controls tonight, and some rod ends for their linkages if I get really lucky. Guessing I'll have to order those from McMaster, though.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #14
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

I'm getting tired of pulling off the float bowl and smelling like gas all day. Jetting a Harley is apparently much more difficult than a Buell, even though they have nearly identical engines. If you're off by much with a Buell it'll let you know NOW that you're an idiot and will be changing something in the immediate future. I went up 5 pilot jet sizes on the Sporty and it still ran. Not right, rich as , with horrible mileage, but she ran. Try that on the S2 and she won't even start, much less run. So now I'm back to the #40. If I can't make that work without cranking open the mixture screw 87 turns I'll break down and go find a the #42 I thought was in there in the first place.

Bead blasted the headlight mount tonight, and aimed the headlight so high the FAA was waiting in my driveway when I got home. I'll fix that tomorrow after I throw some paint at it.

Changed the fork oil from something that looked much like coffee, but had the viscosity of rubbing alcohol, to 15 wt. Belray. Much better, but I think I need to put spacers somewhere around 2" long in there to get a bit more preload. Better yet, emulators and progressive springs. This bike is way easier to ride than anything else I've owned, and that's been leading me to push it a bit harder than usual. That, along with the longer wheelbase requiring more lean for a given turn, has led to things dragging. Like all 6 pegs, the kickstand, the saddlebags, and so on. I'm a little concerned that the next time I ride the Buell I'll forget which bike I'm on and she'll remind me in a bad way, like pulling the front wheel 5 feet off the ground in front of every cop in the county while attempting to quietly pull out of a parking lot (again).
Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Here's a half decent pic of her so far. I'm not happy with the paint on the headlight mount, but it's getting powdercoated anyway. I think I've gotten the jetting worked out finally. I think I was rich from the beginning and just made it WAY worse with the new jet. Another 1/4 turn leaner and it should be just about right. Still think I need more gas from around 3500-redline, but I'll worry about that after I bore her out to 1250.

2656262595 d8e2b89812 o
Old 07-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Well, that pic is already outdated. Did something tonight that will take a few miles to get used to, and still needs a couple of minor things to finish (a screw that was siezed and had to be drilled out, a brake hose, and a couple of little things), but so far it seems to be a good change. Pics tomorrow.

On a vaguely related note, if anyone needs to polish their handlebar clamp screws, just chuck 'em up in a drill and go at it with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Great stuff, makes stainless look like chrome.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #17
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Ok, couldn't wait to show it off. Here's a pic in the mess I call a garage.

2659803041 e40a4d1272 o

I didn't "get it" until I moved the buckhorns up a few inches and realized how comfortable high bars are. Note the cheesy brake line. That's going away shortly, hopefully tomorrow if I can find one.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #18
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

good call on the mini apes! it's coming along nicely!

check out www.xlforum.net for some great ideas on what else to do. tons of info and good lookin bikes all over that board.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Yup, I'm on there. Don't have enough posts to put up pics yet, but I'm working on it.

Just won an auction on a fatbob tank, so now I won't have to paint over the dreamcatcher on the orange king tank. Maybe my wife or one of the kids will want a Sporty at some point in the future.

Waiting on parts from McMaster now. Hopefully I'll have time to finish up the forward controls this week. Hard part will be the brake pushrod. I see much machining in my future.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #20
SFT2

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Shifter side is more or less done. I'd like to cut a new lever and press in a bearing, then replace the mounting block with something thicker. Black anodizing wouldn't hurt, either. But it's a prototype, it's on the bike, and it even works!

2676928920 3281f34b0d o

Advertisement