MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
av8_r22

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Went Down This Weekend

I'm so mad at myself right now. This is hard to post about, but I think it'd be a good thing.

A lot of y'all read my recent post about the SV650S I just bought.

Well, Saturday I headed out to The Forest, my first time doing any kind of real riding, with a brand new (to me) bike, brand new STYLE of bike, and brand new riding boots (bought on the way out of town). I only had about an hour of sleep after getting off of work that morning (night shift). These factors made heading out to the forest an incredibly stupid decision.. but I really wanted to ride.

It was just myself and another rider, someone much more experienced than I. He told me it was perfectly ok to get behind, he'd wait at all of the stops. (He was really good to ride with, put zero pressure on me to ride hard.)

Everything was fine most of the ride. I was having a blast. I was getting behind a bit in the turns, consciously trying not to ride outside of my limits, but was really enjoying the ride.

I'm still trying to piece together exactly what happened. My memory is limited to a few flashes. I don't remember the turn before. I don't remember why I came in too fast or what I did to react. I think I remember seeing the turn, and being surprised by it, like it came out of nowhere. I remember hitting the rear brake and feeling like it was having absolutely no affect on my speed. (For a while, I was convinced it had completely failed) I don't remember coming off of the road, but I have a very short memory of bouncing through the ditch, still on the bike. I guess I kept control of the bike until the last 20 feet or so, when I finally lowsided.

When it was all over, and I opened my eyes looking at the sky, I didn't want to get up. I knew I was full of adrenaline, I was afraid for it to fade away and reveal injuries. I was even more afraid to look at my new bike. THE bike I had wanted since I was in high school, had obsessed about for years, and had finally been able to buy. The bike that had been in absolutely pristine condition ten seconds earlier.

Overall, I got pretty lucky. I'm a little beat up, but nothing's broken. I had all of my gear on, and it did it's job.

The bike's gonna be ok, too, I think. The bar-end screw is bent, there's a gash in my once beautiful lower fairing, some scratches on the upper fairing, the slider is pretty messed up, and the blinker broke off. The bike wouldn't start the first few times I tried, as the fuel injector light was lit. Eventually the light turned off, it started up, and I putted around on it to verify everything was functioning. I was able to ride it home.

The worst damage in the accident was to my ego. Since it happened, I've been swinging back and forth from the feeling that I never want to ride again (not out of fear of getting hurt, but out of fear of breaking machines I like so much) to the feeling that I want to get on it and go ride through the turn 10, 20, 30 times or however many times it takes to know every inch of the turn.

I can try to consider myself lucky and be thankful for the learning experience, but I'm really depressed about it. I made so many beginner mistakes. This was completely preventable.

I'm not done riding, but I think I'll stay off of the bike for a little while. I'm still really embarrassed and emotional about the accident, and I want a clear head before I throw my leg over it the next time.

Maybe a track day is in order.

I'll post pictures of the damage later. I don't know if the rash can be fixed to look like it never happened, but I really hope so. I'll order nicer bar-ends, flush mounts, and new sliders. I'd really like to make this thing look brand new again. Or, on the other hand, maybe it's a good time to sell it and get into an R6.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In this weekend 5/4-5\6 Jonbones Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 1 05-02-2012 08:04 PM
Big M Weekend @ Miller Motorsports Park This Weekend! Whos Goin!? Snoogyns848 Taking it to the Track 4 05-24-2011 04:21 PM
MSRH last weekend, & GSS the weekend before RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 8 08-06-2010 08:54 PM
Weekend ..... JuiceMan Stunters Lounge 62 03-08-2009 11:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

got lucky bro, and the bike made out like a champ. live to ride another day, but make sure you got some rest next time. a bike requires 100% of your attention and your senses.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Pathos

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Going down always sucks...even my 10 mph slide to a high-side was confidence crushing (and my ribs hurt for a month). You learned the hard way that you gotta know the road before you can go fast. At least you are smart and had the proper gear, so you can walk (ride) away . Good luck. Seriously consider a track day if you want to bond with your new baby in a safe environment. Remember, it happens to all of us sooner or later (or at least most of us).
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Glad your ok mang..... youll be back riding in no time. Try and take it easy man, you wanna ride hard take it to the track. I'm not saying a spirited ride through the forest is bad, i wish i could do it more often, but no need to push it too hard.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

glad your ok. You'll learn from experience what you did wrong. 1 factor I immediately noticed was your belief to rely on your rear brake to stop you.
Quote:
I remember hitting the rear brake and feeling like it was having absolutely no affect on my speed. (For a while, I was convinced it had completely failed)
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
glad your ok. You'll learn from experience what you did wrong. 1 factor I immediately noticed was your belief to rely on your rear brake to stop you. .
Yea.. I know all about the front brake, and was on it pretty hard, but the rear brake seemed to make zero difference at all. Maybe because I was on the front brake so hard, all the weight was off the rear.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
From your description of the events, it seems like you may have been distracted coming into the turn. Distracted by some nice scenery or maybe you just had something on your mind and your attention lapsed for a few seconds, but that may be all it takes.

Sometimes when I'm riding around where there is great scenery, I will look at it but then realize "hey, you're riding here, pay attention to teh road! "

In any event, it's a good thing you didn't hit anything stationary or break any bones. The bike can be repaired.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
From your description of the events, it seems like you may have been distracted coming into the turn. Distracted by some nice scenery or maybe you just had something on your mind and your attention lapsed for a few seconds, but that may be all it takes.

Sometimes when I'm riding around where there is great scenery, I will look at it but then realize "hey, you're riding here, pay attention to teh road! "

In any event, it's a good thing you didn't hit anything stationary or break any bones. The bike can be repaired.
Yea, to be completely honest, with the way it all went down, I think I might have fallen asleep. I can't say for sure, I don't remember much before the crash, but that's kind of what it seems like.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

if u went to the forrest, pretty much every turn is marked (big yellow sign)

sorry to hear u fell over, just get up dust yourself off and do it again
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Got lucky, tough lesson. Learn from it and get back on.

Short trips, close to home, well rested with full gear and full attention, at low traffic times. Then build up from there.

This is not the time to look to upgrade to a faster, more demanding bike (R6). You have a great intermediate bike that will take a great deal of time to fully master. Stick with it. In fact, I would wait a while and get some quality time under your belt before you try to get that one back to like new condition.

Good luck and ride safe!
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
This is not the time to look to upgrade to a faster, more demanding bike (R6). You have a great intermediate bike that will take a great deal of time to fully master. Stick with it. In fact, I would wait a while and get some quality time under your belt before you try to get that one back to like new condition.
Just playin about the R6

Waiting to fix it might be a good idea, though. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on body work to go down again.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

Sorry to hear man.

Do you remember? Did you straighten out before hitting the brakes, or hit em in the turn?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #13
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
Sorry to hear man.

Do you remember? Did you straighten out before hitting the brakes, or hit em in the turn?
I don't remember, but I don't think I turned at all. Maybe a little at the last second, but I don't think I was in a lean at the time. I think I would have low-sided on the street, I must have shot off the road straight up, as I remember bouncing through the ditch still ridin.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #14
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

that sucks that was a reaaaallly pretty bike!

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #15
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
that sucks that was a reaaaallly pretty bike!
Yea... it's still pretty on one side.

I'm hoping I can get it back. The rash is isolated enough that I might be able to make it unnoticable.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #16
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Glad your ok and also that you were wearing your gear. Your bike can be fixed. It will be better then it was before.

Some guy Saturday was laughing at me for wearing my black mesh jacket and jeans. He had shorts, Tshirt, flip flops and sun glasses as his protection. Pulled up next to me at a light and asked if "Aren't you a little hot?"
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #17
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8_r22 View Post
Yea... it's still pretty on one side.

That sounds like my Honda too!

Glad you are ok! Gear saves lives!
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #18
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Well it happens to all at one time or another. Glad your ego is broke and not your skul.

Leave the rash there for awhile before you fix it.. Its a badge, a little reminder that you can go down in an instant.

Keep riding dude..l
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

man I hate to hear that you went down on such a purdy bike, but II'm glad to hear that she's okay j/k man....glad ur alright, don't worry about the bike....chicks dig battle scars
Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #20
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

first off - glad you are OK as that could have gone MUCH worse.

second - a track day is not going to help any ride you take with only an hour of sleep in your body.

DO NOT RIDE IF:
sleepy
angry
distracted
upset
sick
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement