MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #101
ptd
π

Feedback Rating: (0)

I saw this while sweeping during the SSB rides, group grew bigger and bigger, new riders, new bikes, guys running in a 'spirited' manner up front... Folks in the middle trying to keep up... For a while there it seemed like we had someone go down every weekend we went out...

-pd
ptd is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
Group Rides... thoughts texlurch General Discussion (Moto Related) 143 10-30-2009 11:37 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #102
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

Someone asked me for my 2 cents on this matter. So here they are dont believe everyone. Some will leave you in a ditch it has happened as early as today. So I think you should add a rule if the cops show up or you just see a cop all rules do not apply. Make sure you leave your riders stranded in a ditch where they could have died.

Now does that sound logical. I personally dont care if you have been riding for 2 minutes or 45 years you never leave a rider behind even if it means you get a ticket go to jail. Life is worth more than some petty ticket. Some of the riders have lost the "brotherhood" motto. I have been riding along time and i have lost brothers.

Last edited by luinstra; 06-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.
luinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #103
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I've seen riders leave an accident scene because they had warrants or no license. I make a note to not invite them anymore, because I agree, that is chickenshit to leave someone down, even if not hurt.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #104
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinstra View Post
Someone asked me for my 2 cents on this matter. So here they are dont believe everyone. Some will leave you in a ditch it has happened as early as today. So I think you should add a rule if the cops show up or you just see a cop all rules do not apply. Make sure you leave your riders stranded in a ditch where they could have died.

Now does that sound logical. I personally dont care if you have been riding for 2 minutes or 45 years you never leave a rider behind even if it means you get a ticket go to jail. Life is worth more than some petty ticket. Some of the riders have lost the "brotherhood" motto. I have been riding along time and i have lost brothers.
i take it you are talking about today (not at forest)
with a completely different group

so what happens if you dont see him go down, if everybody splits and goes there own way??
is it really smart to run from cops in one big group?? jw
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #105
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

Well can debate all you want (which i am not by the way) but there was no cop at the time he went down he was there. The guy he was following had to know he went down you can here it. I have been riding for 30 years and yes you can here someone go down behind you. And to answer your other question it is stupid to run from the cops.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #106
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luinstra View Post
Well can debate all you want (which i am not by the way) but there was no cop at the time he went down he was there. The guy he was following had to know he went down you can here it. I have been riding for 30 years and yes you can here someone go down behind you. And to answer your other question it is stupid to run from the cops.
ha
i have had 2 or 3 people go down behind me on backroads
never heard a thing
just happen to look in my mirror and see others slowing down
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #107
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Wow, I'm surprised where this thread has gone! The guy who went down on Sat had the bike a whole day (yes, he had just bought it the day before). He evidently went straight off of the road...didn't even try to take the easy curve on Honea Egypt. Obviously he was way in over his head.

I understand why you would want to take the rides to invite only. It does seem to be a sad thing to do. How will the newer guys get better if they don't have help from the veteran riders? One way is going to the track, but there are so many people that don't spend the effort/money to go.

I guess I need to learn the route and lead some not quite so fast guys.

I had a lot of fun with hooligan et al on Sat! I was riding slower since I haven't memorized the roads. The guy on the Honda 599 and I were haulin enough for our level .
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #108
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

what i am speaking of was a different ride
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #109
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
ha
i have had 2 or 3 people go down behind me on backroads
never heard a thing
just happen to look in my mirror and see others slowing down
either way you noticed my point exactly
Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #110
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
Wow, I'm surprised where this thread has gone! The guy who went down on Sat had the bike a whole day (yes, he had just bought it the day before). He evidently went straight off of the road...didn't even try to take the easy curve on Honea Egypt. Obviously he was way in over his head.

I understand why you would want to take the rides to invite only. It does seem to be a sad thing to do. How will the newer guys get better if they don't have help from the veteran riders? One way is going to the track, but there are so many people that don't spend the effort/money to go.

I guess I need to learn the route and lead some not quite so fast guys.

I had a lot of fun with hooligan et al on Sat! I was riding slower since I haven't memorized the roads. The guy on the Honda 599 and I were haulin enough for our level .
yeah bro had fun also
ill PM you next ride
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #111
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Given enough time and money, I am afraid so. Welcome to todays sue happy world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That begs the question; Whether you agree that you're responsible or not, as one of a groups leaders of an openly promoted ride, could you be held liable?
I see waivers were signed before, but has anyone actually lost in court, or even got to that point? I would think those suits are frivolous at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Even if not legally, can you live with it, if your pace was the indirect cause? Hard question
Good Point

MH needs to put a disclaimer somewhere for rides if there are riders out there who feel that they are not in full control of themselves when riding.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #112
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

fine....I've gone on 1 forest ride and plan to go back b/c it was a blast...I'll PM one of ya'll when I can get away from the Fam for a ride
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #113
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Deja vu.

Anyone remember Thorn? After that ride my street group dwindled to nothing.

After Matt I said no mas to the Houston area streets and almost all street riding all together.

be safe out there guys it's your responsibility to know your limits IMO the leader has a little to do with it but al in all it's your problem.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #114
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

I have been the leader on a couple rides where someone has gone down... I do not feel reponsible for that. every ride i'm on, it is said to ride at a speed that is comfortable to you. I know that only i am responsible for my throttle, if i don't want to keep up or don't feel safe doing so, i don't. it is not my fault that someone behind me goes down. the leader cannot always ride at the pace of the worst rider... one rider that went down, went down at a corner where the speed limit on the road was 45... there is no reason he should have been doing 85 before the corner. it was his choice to break the speed limit. that same person, limped the bike back to the gas station and fell over in the parking lot when he hit his front brake. how can the leader be responsible for that?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #115
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
it is not my fault that someone behind me goes down. the leader cannot always ride at the pace of the worst rider.. one rider that went down, went down at a corner where the speed limit on the road was 45... there is no reason he should have been doing 85 before the corner.

How fast was the rest of the group going through the corner???

IMO 20 something kids and under are going to try and keep up regardless of the ride "your own pace" statements.. A more experienced rider will ride his own pace he/she generally know exactly what that is.. That leaves a newb who started on the streets of Houston... Havening no clue! our streets are not exactly the best training ground for learning corners!
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #116
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
How fast was the rest of the group going through the corner???

IMO 20 something kids and under are going to try and keep up regardless of the ride "your own pace" statements.. A more experienced rider will ride his own pace he/she generally know exactly what that is.. That leaves a newb who started on the streets of Houston... Havening no clue! our streets are not exactly the best training ground for learning corners!
I'm not sure... i was going over 45 though... but i was WAY in front of him... there was 30 something people on that ride. I said, i'm just going to show you guys a fun road... and i'm not going to fly through it either... We later found out that he had barely over 200 miles riding experience. Last time i checked, It is nobody's responsibility to check the others skill level, i'm not mom. I had never met the kid, and the friends that told him about the ride should have paid more attention to him. If i have a freinds on the ride , i ride to their ability... or what i think it is if I am leading.

the kid fell over in the parking lot as the gas station when he hit his front brakes... there is no amount of anything that I could do for that kid as the group's leader at the time...

that is a fine example of why noobs need to be on a 250... had it been a bigger bike, he probably would have been going faster

Last edited by sbfuller; 06-23-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #117
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
I'm not sure... i was going over 45 though... but i was WAY in front of him... there was 30 something people on that ride. I said, i'm just going to show you guys a fun road... and i'm not going to fly through it either... We later found out that he had barely over 200 miles riding experience. Last time i checked, It is nobody's responsibility to check the others skill level, i'm not mom. I had never met the kid, and the friends that told him about the ride should have paid more attention to him. If i have a freinds on the ride , i ride to their ability... or what i think it is if I am leading.
Agreed. We put together a "public" ride for all comers to attend. I wish we could pass out a questionare before the ride, but even then how can we police newbs? The fellow who went down on Saturday had prior experience, but had not been on a bike for a few years. He would have passed a class M drivers test. He could stop, start, and turn. His cousin was right behind him, and like I said before at the back of the pack.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #118
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Agreed. We put together a "public" ride for all comers to attend. I wish we could pass out a questionare before the ride, but even then how can we police newbs? The fellow who went down on Saturday had prior experience, but had not been on a bike for a few years. He would have passed a class M drivers test. He could stop, start, and turn. His cousin was right behind him, and like I said before at the back of the pack.
i would look at it like at the track... if you want help, ask for it. if you don't ask for it... nobody may be watching to give you advice. if you show up on a bike, it is assumed that you know your limits... you did just ride on the streets to get to the meet without killing yourself
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #119
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

Quote:
I have been the leader on a couple rides where someone has gone down... I do not feel reponsible for that. every ride i'm on, it is said to ride at a speed that is comfortable to you. I know that only i am responsible for my throttle, if i don't want to keep up or don't feel safe doing so, i don't. it is not my fault that someone behind me goes down. the leader cannot always ride at the pace of the worst rider... one rider that went down, went down at a corner where the speed limit on the road was 45... there is no reason he should have been doing 85 before the corner. it was his choice to break the speed limit. that same person, limped the bike back to the gas station and fell over in the parking lot when he hit his front brake. how can the leader be responsible for that?

You must be speaking of something different this is not what happened on Sunday
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #120
luinstra
Outerlimitz Freestyle

Bike(s):
cbr1000rr, f4I

Quote:

the kid fell over in the parking lot as the gas station when he hit his front brakes... there is no amount of anything that I could do for that kid as the group's leader at the time...

that is a fine example of why noobs need to be on a 250... had it been a bigger bike, he probably would have been going faster

Definetly different than what jet is talking about the rider had 28k on his 6th bike. He was not in the forest. It was 390 and some street

Advertisement