MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #61
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
being a girl on a 250 had nothing to do with it. I was able to maintain the middle of the pac on those rides. I just wanted to be sure to point out that these guys were always super informative. I don't want anyone on here to flame them because some one went down while on one of these rides.

in the forest, it doesn't matter the size of the group, but the size of the ego of the person on the bike. skill or no skill, experience or no experience, if you go out there feeling like you have something to prove, you're just asking for trouble. just my $.02
and as my post to you i wasnt questionin your skill level, all i was sayin is that they are instinctavily goin to show you more protection then others. And yes I believe what you state about the forest, I have seen in the forest 10+ people go down, 4 severly injured and 1 die. This is not my first rodeo. And again Im not Flaming anybody or their rides. Its amazing when you try to pass on wisdom or advise and they see it as flaming. Its ridiculous

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
Group Rides... thoughts texlurch General Discussion (Moto Related) 143 10-30-2009 11:37 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #62
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

This is why I feel any ride needs to state the pace and set a speed limit from the outset, and also agree with Patrick that when the group gets too large, it becomes a problem.

And my other question is how does a new or limited experienced rider know what their "pace" is? You can tell people to ride their own pace all you want, but that is a cop out in my opinion.

Personally, if you want to set up a public ride for any and all comers, you better be ready to swallow your pride and ego, and run a pace comfortable for the slowest.... otherwise keep it to PM's.

And even go so far as to seperate the first timers to the group in a seperate group, with a couple experienced riders to keep an eye on them.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #63
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

sorry zx-6racer, I wasn't trying to call you out specifically. there's a ton of keyboard comandos on here that tend to run their mouths about peeps they have never ridden with or even know for that matter. also, I wanted to be sure to state my skill level so as not to allow all the arguing above to discourage any noobs out there from coming out on these rides. if me, a noob-girl on a 250, can hang in the middle of a group ride, they can too.

your opion is greatly appreciated as well as everyone else's who have posted in this thread since i still have so much to learn about this sport.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #64
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
This is why I feel any ride needs to state the pace and set a speed limit from the outset, and also agree with Patrick that when the group gets too large, it becomes a problem.

And my other question is how does a new or limited experienced rider know what their "pace" is? You can tell people to ride their own pace all you want, but that is a cop out in my opinion.

Personally, if you want to set up a public ride for any and all comers, you better be ready to swallow your pride and ego, and run a pace comfortable for the slowest.... otherwise keep it to PM's.

And even go so far as to seperate the first timers to the group in a seperate group, with a couple experienced riders to keep an eye on them.
Well said!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #65
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Just to cover anything or anybody I missed. I am not Flaming, Blaming or dissing anybody or their rides. Thats not my purpose at all. I want a safe ride and yes even though people that have been on your rides for 2 weeks or so have loved it and said it was safe, thats only 2 or so weeks. Tings could happen differently in the Future. Hooligan I applaud you for realizing something about the rides you dont like. You are starting something very wisely. My only thing is change the people YOU ride with there. And my last thing I want to mention is I believe the sweeper should be able to see the leader 95% of the ride. If he cant then either, too many people or people are not leading right and leaving people behind. And all people should ride at the newest newbs skill level. Kinda like the team is as strong as the weakest link. Ride at the newbs skill level ability. Thanks for understandin and again I'm not tryin to Flame anybody or argue with people. Again im sorry if I came off different in others eyes, Im sorry and ride safe

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 06-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #66
level5
moving chicane

The whole point to this SMR/forest ride is to have fun. Getting together with friends, meeting someone new, having great ride, getting back without an incident. I am sure that everyone host or lead a ride are always looking out for their group but it only takes a person acting a fool either wheelie, running from the cops, proving their worthiness, etc.. and wrecks that ruins the ride for everyone. I have ran my own groups and been through the same thing. The best solution to having a great ride is to take it slowly, arrive alive. Get to the eating place, enjoy the friendship and food, share story, ride back to the meeting place, everyone goes their own way. If you ride like a professional racer, ride alone because no one will ever catch up to you. If you ride in a group stay with the group. You are responsible for the person behind you. Make sure that person is always in view of your mirrors.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #67
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLurch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well said!
Great, no more publicly advertised rides unless the leaders agree to figure out who is the slowest and ride at that pace. A wonderful solution.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #68
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

Pace, speed and skill level.

Almost everyone on a liter bike or has between their legs are FAST and invincible, or thought they are.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #69
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Great, no more publicly advertised rides unless the leaders agree to figure out who is the slowest and ride at that pace. A wonderful solution.
Or post up the expected pace, and quiz peeps when they show up. I'm not above hurting your feelings and sending you home, if I feel like it is in your or the groups best interest.

Or, like you said, don't set up public rides.

Setting up and leading rides is a pain in a , try it sometime. Ive been riding off and on since the late 70's, and just like the rest of old timers (sorry Patrick), I've seen this happen time and time again. Luckily, no one has been seriously hurt on one of the recent rides. There is absolutely no worse feeling then to be leading and have someone go down trying to follow you.

My comfortable pace is someone elses oh pace.. not to brag, just a fact.

Last edited by texlurch; 06-22-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #70
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Pace, speed and skill level.

Almost everyone on a liter bike or has between their legs are FAST and invincible, or thought they are.
Only in the straights, and then you run over them the first set of more than one turn.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #71
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

^^^^ maxgs lol I believe what they meant.....was to notice on the ride who is lagging behind and see who the newest rider is which is very obvious to see, and then stick with them and their pace. If I remember right I believe I read this in a motorcycle Safety book, that the newest riders are suppose to be right behind the leader, since the leader is suppose to be the most experienced but at the same time the most cautious. That way they are right there in the pact and you dont have the whole group passing them or outrunning themI might be wrong on that one tho. But I could have swore I read that. Hey Max and hooligan and tia, since I havent rode with ya'll I would like to get together and ride down 149 on a spirited ride and see what ya'll are all about, Sounds like it could be really fun. Maybe take ya'll down some roads that only somebody from that road would know lol and I'm fat so we would have to stop and grab something to eat lol If so let me know when and what time? sounds like ablast

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 06-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #72
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
The whole point to this SMR/forest ride is to have fun. Getting together with friends, meeting someone new, having great ride, getting back without an incident. I am sure that everyone host or lead a ride are always looking out for their group but it only takes a person acting a fool either wheelie, running from the cops, proving their worthiness, etc.. and wrecks that ruins the ride for everyone. I have ran my own groups and been through the same thing. The best solution to having a great ride is to take it slowly, arrive alive. Get to the eating place, enjoy the friendship and food, share story, ride back to the meeting place, everyone goes their own way. If you ride like a professional racer, ride alone because no one will ever catch up to you. If you ride in a group stay with the group. You are responsible for the person behind you. Make sure that person is always in view of your mirrors.
word.
Quote:

word.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #73
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
And what do you propose?

As was already stated; If you're publicly setting up a ride and you know there's going to be a wide spectrum of experience, ride within the limits of the group.
If you want to go out and play racer boy, to invite newbs to come along is foolhardy.

Curt,
You thought it shook you up to see someone you knew go down at the track, wait till you're in the middle of nowhere with multiple people down and looking for a place for life flight to land. :/:

You don't have to agree with me or any of the other experienced riders posting up, but understand, we don't have to share your views either, and there's no reason to take it personally.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #74
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-6racer View Post
^^^^ maxgs lol I believe what they meant.....was to notice on the ride who is lagging behind and see who the newest rider is which is very obvious to see, and then stick with them and their pace. If I remember right I believe I read this in a motorcycle Safety book, that the newest riders are suppose to be right behind the leader, since the leader is suppose to be the most experienced but at the same time the most cautious. That way they are right there in the pact and you dont have the whole group passing them or outrunning themI might be wrong on that one tho. But I could have swore I read that. Hey Max and hooligan and tia, since I havent rode with ya'll I would like to get together and ride down 149 on a spirited ride and see what ya'll are all about, Sounds like it could be really fun. Maybe take ya'll down some roads that only somebody from that road would know lol
can do bro,
us three are about the same, speed and skill wize.
we have fun with it, as you know 3090 is where its at tho
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #75
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroadracer View Post
i dont think you want to ride with this guys ,you wont be able to keep up
we Im from there so I know my way home if thats the case lol man look at your post numbers and already talkin sh*t lol thats funny, welcome to the board

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #76
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-6racer View Post
^^^^ maxgs lol I believe what they meant.....was to notice on the ride who is lagging behind and see who the newest rider is which is very obvious to see, and then stick with them and their pace. If I remember right I believe I read this in a motorcycle Safety book, that the newest riders are suppose to be right behind the leader, since the leader is suppose to be the most experienced but at the same time the most cautious. That way they are right there in the pact and you dont have the whole group passing them or outrunning themI might be wrong on that one tho. But I could have swore I read that. Hey Max and hooligan and tia, since I havent rode with ya'll I would like to get together and ride down 149 on a spirited ride and see what ya'll are all about, Sounds like it could be really fun. Maybe take ya'll down some roads that only somebody from that road would know lol and I'm fat so we would have to stop and grab something to eat lol If so let me know when and what time? sounds like ablast
How about meeting us at MSR Houston? We can have a safe, spirited ride.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #77
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
can do bro,
us three are about the same, speed and skill wize.
we have fun with it, as you know 3090 is where its at tho
yeah 3090 is pretty nice but there are alot of roads out further by College station too.....5 mile straights and 5 mph turns lol hey hit me up next time ya'll ride

Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #78
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
How about meeting us at MSR Houston? We can have a safe, spirited ride.
Excellent idea! Dragging knees and triple digits on a track are the perfect deal, not in the Forest.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #79
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Only in the straights, and then you run over them the first set of more than one turn.

Then you'll have threads like these, rider's down, and rip threads.:/:
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #80
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:

Then you'll have threads like these, rider's down, and rip threads.:/:
+1

And we still can't figure out what would posses newbies to feel the need to keep up or have a competitive nature early on

Advertisement