MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Is he ok?
Yes he was fine, just rashed up the bike and his pride.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
Group Rides... thoughts texlurch General Discussion (Moto Related) 143 10-30-2009 11:37 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Hooligan, I am marinating on this. It goes both ways. The manner in which we were organizing the ride IMO was the safest possible. I would rather a newbie go out there with us in a group and have support around them in case something does happen. Also, we tell them before hand where the danger areas are, so they don't find them the hard way. Like I said I'm thinking of the good and the bad here, and I am undecided on forest rides... for now.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

they went down in the forest or 3090???
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #24
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

I dont know how to place the google map in the thread. Heres a link to the forest. maybe if someone want to paste it and mark some areas.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...1&source=embed
:/:
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-6racer View Post
Well i believe all rides should be enjoyable and safe....and hooligan, if im readin it right basically you and a few others like to ride pretty fast through the forest and take some pretty hard turns (which theres nothing at all wrong with). If so I believe that you and your friends should have to ride alone by yourselves and not even have the choice to "recruit" riders. Thats where I believe the start of the incidents are happening. Your basically a pro team recruiting minor league guys and when they get hurt you blame them, when in all sad reality it is yall that is most to blame for riding with guys yall no cant hang. Not tryin to point fingers or make you look bad, but if you could just take this in and do with it what you please. Again I'm not flaming you just trying to give a little wisdom where I can, besides that let me know when the next forest ride is....I havent been down there in a while!
Oh please. Riders need to take some personal responsibility. The fast guys do not cause the less experienced guys to crash, that's just .
Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
they went down in the forest or 3090???
Neither Honea Egypt.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

MAXGS^^^Yeah I believe it is the riders fault as well....but understand it this way...your new at riding and never been in the Forest (so your lost and dont know your way if you get left behind) so what are you goin to try and do? Your goin to try and keep up with the pack, the "fast" pack. Which causes you to crash. It goes both ways....ask all the leaders that have someone crash behind them cause they sped up and started to pull away!?!?! you'll be suprised

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #28
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Neither Honea Egypt.
my parents live right by that road, its across the street..man that road is twisty and all jacked up, i wouldnt do more then 40 mph on that road....I witnessed a Harley guy loose his life on that road. He hit the Crown Oaks gate and literally ripped him in two through the fence

Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #29
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

just read about post loctation/routes... sorry maybe they can delete the link... Im done post today.
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
MAXGS^^^Yeah I believe it is the riders fault as well....but understand it this way...your new at riding and never been in the Forest (so your lost and dont know your way if you get left behind) so what are you goin to try and do? Your goin to try and keep up with the pack, the "fast" pack. Which causes you to crash. It goes both ways....ask all the leaders that have someone crash behind them cause they sped up and started to pull away!?!?! you'll be suprised
MMM. Maybe. We tell everyone at the beginning that we wait for everyone, no matter what. So thinking they will be left in the middle of nowhere is not true. Now I do believe a bit of "cowk envy" is going on, and an inexperienced rider will want to keep up with the leaders to prove something.

I have met most of my friends from this site on forest rides. The people who have set them up this season have been responsible and inviting to all level of riders. For every 1 newb that goes down there are 5 (or more) who ride within themselves and have A GREAT TIME. We do it safe, and slow if the riders take it slow. I was sweeping yesterday when said person went down, and I wish I could have a cord to yank him back. I saw it going to happen and was like "FAWCK NO this is going to be bad" and then it happened. Nothing I could do about it. He was the second to last person, and we were NOT hauling a$$. I wish I had a concrete answer on people going down, but there isn't. Ride within your limits is all I can say.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #31
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Neither Honea Egypt.
....sounds like he got lucky. Roads not that wide, plus debri, and traffic. Must not have been traveling to fast, or it seems he would of hit a mail box or tree.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
MMM. Maybe. We tell everyone at the beginning that we wait for everyone, no matter what. So thinking they will be left in the middle of nowhere is not true. Now I do believe a bit of "cowk envy" is going on, and an inexperienced rider will want to keep up with the leaders to prove something.

I have met most of my friends from this site on forest rides. The people who have set them up this season have been responsible and inviting to all level of riders. For every 1 newb that goes down there are 5 (or more) who ride within themselves and have A GREAT TIME. We do it safe, and slow if the riders take it slow. I was sweeping yesterday when said person went down, and I wish I could have a cord to yank him back. I saw it going to happen and was like "FAWCK NO this is going to be bad" and then it happened. Nothing I could do about it. He was the second to last person, and we were NOT hauling a$$. I wish I had a concrete answer on people going down, but there isn't. Ride within your limits is all I can say.
Totally agreed....its a formula of both......It has happened, happening and will happen. Its the name of the game. All we can do is limit the chances of it happening.....if that means faster guys have they're own ride then I agree with that. But mixing "racers" and newbs in the forest doesnt match no matter how you look at it. Maybe if "racers" acted if they were total nembs again and rememeberd what it was like to be on your first rides with experienced riders. I think everybody when they go in the Forest with others, need to let go of that throttle alittle. I mean when I ride in groups i ride to 60-70% of my ability. Then when i wanna push it or wanna release some speed I go by MYSELF so I dont have to think about riders following me. Everybody just needs to give a little when in groups

Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #33
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

well I've been on a couple of forest rides with these guys and my first one was 2 weeks after I started ridding. there has ALWAYS been a pre-ride meeting where the leader laid down the rules, gave pointers as to what turns to watch out for ect, and also stated time and time again about ridding with in your own limits.

with that said, all the times I rode the forest w/ these guys I was on my 2fiddy and was NEVER left behind.

anyhoo, please keep me in mind for when you guys want to ride.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

I want to start riding with others for two reasons...meet others that enjoy the sport and pick up pointers / new skills that I did not have before. I do think that the rides should be split between advanced and intermediate....

Not being ut on these rides yet, my opnion might not be to much...but hopefully soon I will get to ride with some of yall...
Old 06-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #35
nvydis

Bike(s):
R6,GS500,MiniChop

Send a message via Yahoo to nvydis
can some one post all the map locations/routes please? so me a buddy can go check it out before joining a group ride.

i understand what these guys are coming from but this makes it unfair for us "new guys" that wants to experience the ride but yet know our limits.....
nvydis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #36
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
well I've been on a couple of forest rides with these guys and my first one was 2 weeks after I started ridding. there has ALWAYS been a pre-ride meeting where the leader laid down the rules, gave pointers as to what turns to watch out for ect, and also stated time and time again about ridding with in your own limits.

with that said, all the times I rode the forest w/ these guys I was on my 2fiddy and was NEVER left behind.

anyhoo, please keep me in mind for when you guys want to ride.
Not to flame you but you also have to realize you were a girl on a 250...of course they're not goin to leave you....that would make them feel really bad and look even worse. And i never said that they werent organized or never had a sweeper. But the sweeper or leader cant do anything about what happens in the middle when they are trying to keep up to the leader. Now if you were a guy on a gsxr 750 (just for example) your story might be a little more different. But again i could be wrong

Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #37
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydis View Post
can some one post all the map locations/routes please? so me a buddy can go check it out before joining a group ride.

i understand what these guys are coming from but this makes it unfair for us "new guys" that wants to experience the ride but yet know our limits.....
Just head down 105 west and then turn on 149 north. Its in Montgomery....then just go straight and your in the Forest. Thats the route. Dont worry newbs I'm still here for you. I will start hosting rides on Sunday at 9:30am. Kickstands up at 10am. Shell/Mcdonalds 45 and 242

Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #38
nvydis

Bike(s):
R6,GS500,MiniChop

Send a message via Yahoo to nvydis
Quote:
Just head down 105 west and then turn on 149 north. Its in Montgomery....then just go straight and your in the Forest. Thats the route. Dont worry newbs I'm still here for you. I will start hosting rides on Sunday at 9:30am. Kickstands up at 10am. Shell/Mcdonalds 45 and 242
any other routes? thats like 2 hours from me (kemah).
nvydis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #39
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

lol you can really go anywhere once you get on 149...if I was you I would hit up some spots down there, To me its not worth that long of a ride lol

Old 06-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #40
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Oh please. Riders need to take some personal responsibility. The fast guys do not cause the less experienced guys to crash, that's just .
You're right and wrong there bud.

I've been riding with groups off and on for almost 30 years.
Invariably here's what happens: the group starts out small, the group grows, multiple riders of different skill levels start coming, ego / testosterone comes into play, someone crashes while trying to "keep up".

This "cycle" has happened in many of the large open group ride that meets on a regular basis.
It seems to happens regardless of "pre ride meetings", "stops along the way", "maps of the route", etc.

It's one of the reasons why I've chosen to limit the number of people that attend my weekly rides for the last 5 years or so now, and although we have newbies / novices come with us frequently, we haven't had anyone go down or even run off in a very long time.

My motto has become: "come back with the same number of riders you left with".

I've been there. The last big open group I used to lead ended sometime in early '03.
We went 22 weeks in a row with someone going down every weekend.

Thankfully no one was ever seriously hurt and only one person ever had to go to the hospital (broken ankle), but I finally realized that no matter how hard I tried, the group was too big so I just stopped doing it.

If you look around right now, there's several large "open" groups that meet regularly, and most of them have experienced / are experiencing the above.

Some of the aforementioned groups even have a very notorious reputation for people getting badly hurt on their rides.

Yes, it's the riders responsibility to ride within their limits, but if you're leading a large group ride, it's also the group of riders that are the leaders responsibility to set the limits of the ride within the limits of everyone attending.

If not, than don't have an "open ride", it's that simple.

Unfortunately sometimes the so called "leaders" of some of the big open rides do it as much to feed their ego as to just go out and ride; they get off on hearing "oh look, I rode with xyz, he's sooo faast"

Hooligan, props to you and your guys for making a tough call.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
My 2 cents, YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 06-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement