MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
suicide_rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Question Question bout getting into racing...

Like it says... i wanna get into track racing and i really dont know much of anything about it... is there any kind of website that i can go on and read up on it or order some type of catalog especially for that? ie; race fairings, handle bars, suspension stuff, engine and performance products for road racing.

And if you have any info. on how to get started and what i should do to get into it?
I'd really appreciate it... i've been thinking bout it for a while and this is what i wanna do... or atleast go to some races with some of yall and find out what its all about...
Thanks to all in advance...
suicide_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technical racing question Lokati General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 09-28-2011 12:34 PM
road racing question Badzx14r Taking it to the Track 22 06-19-2009 01:14 PM
question bout 04 R6 dontbap()ssy General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-30-2009 01:50 PM
question for racing stunt-r Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 6 07-10-2007 10:59 AM
question bout a stunt bike jkcole900rr General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-05-2007 11:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
you da man

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

CMRA forum is probably the best place to read up. Do more than just a handful of trackdays and gradually build up your speed, technique, form, fundementals, track etiquette, etc... As for your bike, don't worry about motor work, just keep is stock and simple. CMRA rulebook will tell you all you need about bike prep as far as safety is concerned. Performance mods like clip-ons, suspension, rearsets, exhaust, quick shifters, and on and on are rider preference and depending on what classes you want to race in...skies the limit.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_rider View Post
Like it says... i wanna get into track racing and i really dont know much of anything about it... is there any kind of website that i can go on and read up on it or order some type of catalog especially for that? ie; race fairings, handle bars, suspension stuff, engine and performance products for road racing.

And if you have any info. on how to get started and what i should do to get into it?
I'd really appreciate it... i've been thinking bout it for a while and this is what i wanna do... or atleast go to some races with some of yall and find out what its all about...
Thanks to all in advance...
Like AJ said, hit up the CMRA website at www.cmraracing.com. Check out the quick links they have on the opening page, and try to browse the rule book (if you can stay awake while reading it....).

To echo AJ again, you don't have to change any of the parts if you don't want to. I know some really fast folks who race with stock clip-ons, stock rear-sets, and no other performance mods but maybe a slip-on pipe.

Your best bet all the way around regarding getting in to racing, is to buy a bike for the track that is already set up for the track. That's the cheapest and easiest way to do it, and you don't chance wasting your nice bike.

The quickest way to get to the track is to visit some track day web sites like ours www.lstd.com. There is a ton of information on there. Other td orgs have web sites too.

Come on out to the races for the CMRA, the next venue is in Angleton at the Mercedes Benz Sugar Land Road Course off 288 on July 4th.

We also have a track day in College Station on Sunday the 22nd, you can come out and watch how the day runs and all of the staff for LSTD would be happy to talk to you and answer any questions you have.

Basically, don't worry about adding any performance goodies right now, your stock bike will get you to the track day scene. From there, it's only a process of having a great time with a new addiction, that is unlike any other! Oh yeah, and you'll go in to debt too...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

What they said. I would take at least a year to get the pace and techniques.
Nobody goes pro overnight. Take your time to learn it.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Just leave all the stock clipons and rearests till you break them. You will mostlikely crash once or twice as your pace starts coming up. Crashing happens to everyone. Take your time and be open to any advice the instructors give you. Dont think that your going to be fast over night, if you do someone like buck or larry will come screaming by you and make you look like your standing still. Ive been on the track for year and a half now and still have lots to learn.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
D & B RACING

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r Black/Black

i prefer drag racing myself. i did the track day, both are great but you need to atleast try hmp, angleton, or baytown drag racing. it's alot of fun.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

Take a private lesson with a racing instructor, MSRH offers this service. It is a little expensive but pays huge dividends in the long run. You will learn how to do things correctly, not bad habits.

I should have done this from the start...instead I received lots of bad and contradictory advice by just hanging around the pits.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D & B RACING View Post
i prefer drag racing myself. i did the track day, both are great but you need to atleast try hmp, angleton, or baytown drag racing. it's alot of fun.
yeah....or you could do road racing and have humongous loads of fun. I know -> it's just my opinion.
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement