Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
spaz

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

Twist of the Wrist I and II, plus video

Just read Twist of the Wrist I and II...going to watch the DVD tonight.

The books are amazing, I have not tried the advice at the track yet but I have about 6 pages of hand written notes. Everything I ahve been doing right and wrong seem to be coming together and some of the advice I have received over the years contradicts what is in the book.

Anyone else read this?
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone heard of twist of the wrist II? greaselightnin General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-04-2013 03:27 PM
Twist of the Wrist II: The Cornering Bible. Have you watched it? NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 04-20-2011 09:11 PM
DVD Now Out - A TWIST OF THE WRIST II Mr Richards General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-04-2010 07:35 PM
A Twist Of the Wrist (Volumes I & II) andre3k General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-28-2006 10:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I’ve read TOTW 2…….

Great book. It seriously changed the way I thought about riding.

It put a lot of the things I was doing and what I thought I knew about riding, into perspective. The “Survival Reactions” chapter was the one I took the most away from as a street rider. I couldn’t relate much to the other sections that had more to do with track riding……. But now after 5 trackdays under my belt, maybe the later sections will make more sense. I plan on giving it another read. It’s a good way to keep the mind sharp on riding during the winter as well.

After reading that thing, it changed the way I rode and thought about riding. Probably saved my life honestly. I know the “Survival Reactions” chapter contributed to my ability to still walk on my own. Running stupid speeds on the twisty country roads of North Carolina with rows of trees and mountain cliffs on both flanks, there isn’t any room for those survival reactions……….

-Adam
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

I'd really like to pick them up. I may hit up the bookstore on the way home.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

They are a bit dry but not bad for a technical manual. I really need to get a camera and record my laps.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

I have Twist of the Wrist II. I've heard TW I is obsolete after II, but I don't know that. Also I bought Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles by Keith Code. I started reading that, and it is way in depth for the track. I think I will focus on some smaller stuff before I continue to read that one.
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Probably the best "upgrade" I have done to my bike... I read both numerous times and can absolutely notice an improvement. I like to glance over them every once in a while to understand what I have improved on and what I continue to do wrong. I haven't done any tracks days yet(hopefully this season or next), but feel I could really make some major improvements and push my limits way beyond what I do on the street. I would reccomend the books to any rider including people that have been to the track. Sh*t these books would probably help pros stay sharp.The books provide an excellent description of how motorcycles are designed to work and how to get the most out of your bike.

I'm also interested to see what other books/dvd's people have used to improve their riding. Training aids such as these books combined with seat time will do wonders.
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
I have Twist of the Wrist II. I've heard TW I is obsolete after II, but I don't know that. Also I bought Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles by Keith Code. I started reading that, and it is way in depth for the track. I think I will focus on some smaller stuff before I continue to read that one.
I read TW I then took what I got from that and rode for a few months before getting into TW II. TW II seems a bit more in depth and track oriented while TW I explains the absolute basics in a manner that my 12 year old nephew would understand.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
who wrote these books?
Keith Code. He has a superbike school in California.
Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz View Post
They are a bit dry but not bad for a technical manual. I really need to get a camera and record my laps.
Most educational material I have read is dry. Thats a fact of life people will have to get over!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

I did say it was "not bad for a technical manual", I have written some fun educational/technical manuals. He did a good job.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Spaz... I would recommend when you get on the track, only work on one or two things at a time. Spend the first half of the day on those, and then after lunch start working on some other stuff.

It's kinda like adding a steering damper, mounting slicks, wearing new leathers, having your front suspension worked over, and a new triple click rear shock, all at once you'll never see an improvement... but you add one at a time and adjust... and you'll see improvements all day long.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Those books are kinda lame.
Like Scientology.

Kenny Roberts book Techniques of Motorcycle Roadracing is really the only one w/ good advice.

TOTW is fluff.

Better than nothing, but still fluff. IMHO
Old 06-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
i never read any of the TOTW books ... guess thats why im so slow !
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt View Post
Spaz... I would recommend when you get on the track, only work on one or two things at a time. Spend the first half of the day on those, and then after lunch start working on some other stuff.

It's kinda like adding a steering damper, mounting slicks, wearing new leathers, having your front suspension worked over, and a new triple click rear shock, all at once you'll never see an improvement... but you add one at a time and adjust... and you'll see improvements all day long.
Some other stuff...you are brilliant...I will try that. Look I have been doing track days for 4 years now and racing for two. The books bring many things together...much better then advice from most Track Day "Instructors".
Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Some other stuff...you are brilliant...I will try that. Look I have been doing track days for 4 years now and racing for two. The books bring many things together...much better then advice from most Track Day "Instructors".
Dang, I think Tim was just trying to help, that was pretty harsh
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #16
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt View Post
It's kinda like adding a steering damper, mounting slicks, wearing new leathers, having your front suspension worked over, and a new triple click rear shock, all at once.
Throw all that onto a bike you've never ridden and you've just described my first track day! It was to say the least, interesting.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

That might be true, sorry bout that Tim. I am just a little sick of people giving me racing advice...and having NO idea what they are talking about. Tim is not this case.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Wow.....talking about laying down the hammer. That was almost as much of an azzhol remark that Jody usually puts out...........almost.

If you ask me bro, if you've been trackdayin it and racing for over 4 years, who gives a about those books. You've got enough seat time to write your own.......apparently.:/:

-Adam

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 06-20-2008 at 08:54 AM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
You've got enough seat time to write your own.......apparently.:/:

-Adam
How did you come up with that conclusion, based on the above thread. I did not state that I could instruct or write that book. Just saying...as you also did that these books are useful...while some track day "instructors" are not.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

No desrespect bro.......just saying there is probably little TOTW could offer next to 4 years of racing experience. That's all......

Plus, you may want to be careful when making a comment on the abilities or in-abilities of trackday instructors........we have some on here that are pretty sensitive guys.

But seriously, no disrespect......think about it though, I'm sure after 4 years of racing, you could probably write something??? You think?

-Adam

Advertisement