MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
TheGerman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Concours 14, Fat Boy

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGerman
Digital Guardian or LoJack???

Hi,

all these threads about stolen bikes made me think about getting something like LoJack. I came across this one during research on the net:

http://www.digitalguardiangps.com/dgx-5-me.htm

On their website they compare Lojack with their solution. From what I read, the Digital Guardian seems to be a better, but somehow it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Anybody here that knows this thing? Is it usable? What could be the catch?

Best regards,
Lars
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guardian Bell luckyxdevil1 Off Topic 1 04-19-2012 09:00 PM
guardian bell sainthaloblue General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 10-20-2010 12:27 PM
book fail: Guardian of Lies urbanXJ Off Topic 6 06-02-2010 04:24 PM
Guardian Angels are now in Houston Swift E Off Topic 13 01-18-2006 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

There are several of these companies around.

The problem, very simply, is that they are using GPS technology to locate the bike. If the bike is put in a building or sometimes even a van, they can't locate the bike. Just like a GPS tracker, you have to have open access to the sky. My Garmin won't work in the house, and my radar detector loses the GPS signal if I go under a bridge.

LoJack works differently and can find the bike in a van, building, etc. Even heard about one being found at the bottom of a lake. :/:

Most of these companies have a disclaimer in very fine print about "may not work depending on where the vehicle is located" or something similar.

This is what I've heard anyway.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
proxim2020
The First Stig

Bike(s):
2001 Honda F4i

^^^What he said. Lojack uses radio waves that can penetrate just about anything easily.
proxim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

From what I understand Lojack uses A-GPS (Assisted GPS) It uses cell phone towers as well as global positioning satellites to locate itself. It would seem common sense to have this in all gps recovery solutions, since they have to have a cell connection to communicate back home as it is. I myself will be buying a ZoomBack.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

http://www.zoombak.com/products/auto/

With zoomback you can log in yourself and track your vehicle in real time online. You can set preset zones, and when the vehicle/bike leaves that predefined area you will get an instant txt msg/email and be notified. You also have low battery and power loss alerts. It can do lots of cool things, the only bad thing I would say is that it has a monthly fee. The reason lojack is so expensive is you pay upfront to make up for that monthly fee. I for one like the idea of being able to login and see the location of my bike online at anytime. You can't do that with lojack.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
shanecrow99
punoɹƃɹǝpun xıs

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
old skool
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
new skool
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r

Personally, I wouldn't trust any technology to protect your bike. I mean, it is nice to have that piece of mind but there is a flaw in all of the devices mentioned. The problem is that all of these devices can be found on your bike and uninstall and/or disabled. A lojack module won't do any good if the module is unbolted from the bike. All the cops are going to find is the module itself and not the bike.

Now, a lojack in a car is totally different. Cars are bigger than motorcycles and have way more hiding places to store the modules. It wouldn't be in a car thief's best interest to hack apart a car to look for a lojack module that may not exist. But a motorcycle? Locating the module would be very easy for someone who was looking for one. That's just my take on it anyway.
shanecrow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Yeh, this is what I was talking about.

Disclaimer: Activation and use of Zoombak locators are subject to Zoombak's customer agreement, plans, terms and conditions. Device must be activated within 60 days of purchase. Zoombak A-GPS locators use satellite signals and wireless network coverage to determine and communicate location information. Coverage isn't available everywhere and often not available indoors.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

I stick to keeping it in the garage unless I am riding it... I also avoid taking it places that I will not be in the immediate area.

Full coverage insurance still seems the best way to protect your investment... Not sure on the prices of these tracking systems but for a few hundred dollars a year you have your mind eased knowing that if the bike is stolen it will not matter if it is ever found and you will be compensated.
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Yeh, this is what I was talking about.

Disclaimer: Activation and use of Zoombak locators are subject to Zoombak's customer agreement, plans, terms and conditions. Device must be activated within 60 days of purchase. Zoombak A-GPS locators use satellite signals and wireless network coverage to determine and communicate location information. Coverage isn't available everywhere and often not available indoors.
I am sure that is a CYA thing. But A-GPS uses a combination of REAL gps and CELL TOWER TRIANGULATION. I know GPS can be kind of a if it is indoors, but cell tower triangulation works pretty good indoors, it works anywhere where you can get service. (Zoomback uses t-mobile cell network).

But this is the same or better than anything else. I think Lojack may use the same technology (A-GPS), but alot of tracking devices have plain ol GPS that gets crappy reception inside buildings.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerzy View Post
I stick to keeping it in the garage unless I am riding it... I also avoid taking it places that I will not be in the immediate area.

Full coverage insurance still seems the best way to protect your investment... Not sure on the prices of these tracking systems but for a few hundred dollars a year you have your mind eased knowing that if the bike is stolen it will not matter if it is ever found and you will be compensated.
that's how i feel about it. if it's stolen, i want a new bike, not my wrecked one back
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I think Lojack may use the same technology (A-GPS), but alot of tracking devices have plain ol GPS that gets crappy reception inside buildings.
My understanding is that LoJack uses Radio Frequency technology and not GPS at all. That's why it can easily find a vehicle even indoors, but also why it is not available in all areas (usually just larger metropolitan areas).
Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
My understanding is that LoJack uses Radio Frequency technology and not GPS at all. That's why it can easily find a vehicle even indoors, but also why it is not available in all areas (usually just larger metropolitan areas).
I stand corrected. You are correct. LoJack transmits on a radio frequency of 173.075 mhz. Police cars have a transceiver in the car to pickup a nearby stolen vehicle. The police still have to be nearby to pickup the signal. Also seems it wouldnt be too hard to build a device that operates on that frequency and jam the radio traffic. A device like this can be built fairly cheap for any frequency.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

The truth is, any method, no matter what precautions you take, can be beat. Nothing is 100% sure for protecting your bike/car/ect. Best bet is comprehensive insurance...or a motion sensing flame thrower.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
that's how i feel about it. if it's stolen, i want a new bike, not my wrecked one back
Good point, but I'd like the fuggers that stole it to be caught. Lojack is very effective in doing just that.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Thought about getting LoJack for the bike. But for now paying full coverage and gap insurance.

Don't mean to thread jack but when parking at a bar, restaurant, movies, etc. Do you do anything to secure your bike? Not much you can do when a van or pickup comes by and takes your bike.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Some drawback of Lojack. One in particular that is really scary. Like I said police WITH the tracking device have to be nearby to find the vehicle, not to mention lojack coverage is only 26/50 states.

LoJack is not available from a retail store. It must be purchased either through a car dealer or directly from the manufacturer. Because the transmitter is meant to covertly notify the police, there are no additional features like the ability for an owner to track the vehicle themselves. The Early Warning option can be added for an additional cost to notify the owner if the vehicle is moved.

Also, not all police departments are equipped with LoJack receivers. If a vehicle with LoJack is driven to a location where the police do not have LoJack receivers, the system is effectively useless until it moves into a LoJack-participating county.

LoJack coverage in the Unites States is limited to 26 states and the District of Columbia.

LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System is not transferable from one vehicle to another as the serial number on the LoJack Unit is registered to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of a customer's vehicle. The drawback is that all of the warranty or protection offered and/or purchased by the previous owner is now removed from the account. In fact, it can not even be purchased by the new owner. This means that if you register the LoJack in your name and the vehicle is subsequently stolen and not recovered LoJack will not compensate you at all for the failure of the system.