MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Amanda
Bulletproof

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Lightbulb Educate me...

Call me a noob or whatever...but Id really like to know...

Whats the difference in CMRA, AMA, CRA, etc(please educate me on ones i left out too)?

A buddy, kinda explained what endurance races are...but what the other kinds too, and whats the difference in those?

Thanks ahead of time ppl!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
voter ID- educate me obed The Circus 104 07-18-2012 09:45 AM
EDUCATE YOURSELF Petro Off Topic 11 11-15-2011 03:22 PM
Car Alarms, Educate Me Please. Patrick Car Forum 3 05-29-2011 10:39 PM
Educate me on scooters (vespa? alternatives?) AiJay General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-01-2009 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
GOOGLE?

CMRA
CENTRAL MOTORCYCLE ROADRACING ASSOCIATION

The CMRA is a member owned, non-profit organization with approximately 800 members. The CMRA is managed by a seven member Board of Directors, half of whom are elected each year to a two year term by a vote of the full membership.
The CMRA hold motorcycle roadraces in the South Central region of the United States.

AMA
American Motorcyclist Association

AMA Pro Racing is the leading national sanctioning body for professional motorcycle sport in the world.
A for-profit subsidiary of the 265,000-member-plus American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), AMA Pro Racing was formed in 1995 to respond to the rising popularity and tremendous growth of motorcycle racing in America. The formation of a separate company with a separate Board of Directors and management staff allowed the AMA to continue its focus on government relations, pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of motorcycle enthusiasts, membership growth and other issues. AMA Pro Racing concentrates exclusively on the business and complexities of professional motorcycle racing.

CRA
CRA Central Roadracing Association

The Champion Racing Association (CRA) is a racing sanctioning body that primarily oversees the scheduling,

administering, and officiating of the CRA Super Series for Super Late Models. The CRA also sanctions Sportsman, Street Stocks and FWD Compacts. Additionally, the CRA assists in promoting other racing events and is the sole promoter of two events during the season. In 2007 CRA will be the promoter and manager of all events at the legendary Winchester Speedway.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

i'm glad u asked that question. that's a lot of acronyms.
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

lol thanks T!

I did google it all, but there is still so much out there that i dont understand. And i was getting frustrated. I was hoping someone had easy noob terms. And someone that could even fill me in on the stuff i didnt list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
i'm glad u asked that question. that's a lot of acronyms.
Thank you...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

TMGP = Texas Mini Grand Prix

that's all I know!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
sounds like CRA is cars only.

AMA is actually a lobbying group for motorcyclist rights, but they happen to also be the sanctioning body for the "top level" of racing in the US.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Thanks...

im still kinda confused tho...like whats more common stomping grounds for the everyday good guys? Im guessing CMRA?

Where do ppl start?
How do ppl start?
What is a "race" day like?
What are the different kind of races?
Did i hear right to hear of a CCA too?:dontknow:
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

CCS - Which Im licensed thru (Will go for CMRA lic next year)
and CMRA are the top ones around us.

CMRA has alot more riders.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Elistan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Don't forget WERA. I'm not clear on their geographic coverage, but they're another road-racing organization like the CMRA. I've heard whispers from people suggesting that pro-level racers go with them rather than the newly-DMG-owned AMA series.

CMRA mostly runs on:
MSR-C, MSR-H, Oak Hill, GSS (I think?), TWS (Texas World Speedway), Hallet.

Start by signing up for track days in your area. (RideSmart and Lone Star Track Days - LSTD - operate on the same tracks that CMRA races do.) Figure out if it's something you want to do, or even can do. Go to the website of the CMRA and read their bike prep requirements (safety wiring, classifications, body work, etc. etc.) and licensing requirements (such as classes, provisional novice races, and corner work requirements.) Put together a budget (transportation, hotels, entry fees, bike parts and prep, gear, days off from work, repair costs, tires, brake pads, etc.)

From what I can gather, races range from 10 or 15 minute sprints, to 3+ hour endurance races with a multi-rider team.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloleo03 View Post
Thanks...

im still kinda confused tho...like whats more common stomping grounds for the everyday good guys? Im guessing CMRA?

Where do ppl start?
How do ppl start?
What is a "race" day like?
What are the different kind of races?
Did i hear right to hear of a CCA too?:dontknow:
You can check out The next CMRA Event at MSRH starting with an LSTD on July 4th then races Saturday and Sunday
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Thanks...

Where do ppl start? track days
How do ppl start? see above
What is a "race" day like?a lot of trying to stay cool while waiting for you class to come up all while fretting over whether or not your bike is going to fall apart (that last part might not apply to everyone)
What are the different kind of races? There's different length races. Sprints, Mini-Sprints and Mini Endurance races. They're also broken down into classes based on skill and displacement as well
Did i hear right to hear of a CCA too? there's CCS
my responses are in red
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
Don't forget WERA. I'm not clear on their geographic coverage, but they're another road-racing organization like the CMRA. I've heard whispers from people suggesting that pro-level racers go with them rather than the newly-DMG-owned AMA series.

CMRA mostly runs on:
MSR-C, MSR-H, Oak Hill, GSS (I think?), TWS (Texas World Speedway), Hallet.

Start by signing up for track days in your area. (RideSmart and Lone Star Track Days - LSTD - operate on the same tracks that CMRA races do.) Figure out if it's something you want to do, or even can do. Go to the website of the CMRA and read their bike prep requirements (safety wiring, classifications, body work, etc. etc.) and licensing requirements (such as classes, provisional novice races, and corner work requirements.) Put together a budget (transportation, hotels, entry fees, bike parts and prep, gear, days off from work, repair costs, tires, brake pads, etc.)

From what I can gather, races range from 10 or 15 minute sprints, to 3+ hour endurance races with a multi-rider team.

not at GSS YET... We'll see what comes down the pipes.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Good question. I have also wondered the same things. Here are some more. How do you become a member of a said organization? I have heard you have to get a licence. How do you get a licence? Is there a test? Writen or riding? Both? How much $? What level of riding would I need to be at to be competitive. If I seriously wanted to get into racing what would be good for a noob?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Thanks popo
What are the different kind of races? There's different length races. Sprints, Mini-Sprints and Mini Endurance races. They're also broken down into classes based on skill and displacement as well
... explain that a lil more...

and just for the record... im not asking cuz im trying to race. or atleast anytime soon! I have done a few track days and plan to keep doing them!
Its always what i wanted to do, but didnt want to race...just wanted to one day get the skill level, to if i wanted to, i could. However, a birdy put it in my ear a couple days ago, using this sweet word "potential"....and it just got my brain stirring, and made me realize even more how little i knew...so. Its all a maybe. And even if i decide to, its gonna be a few years or more down the road
Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Good question. I have also wondered the same things. Here are some more. How do you become a member of a said organization? I have heard you have to get a licence. How do you get a licence? Is there a test? Writen or riding? Both? How much $? What level of riding would I need to be at to be competitive. If I seriously wanted to get into racing what would be good for a noob?
Getting a race license is kind of a long process. At least two of the trackday organizations around town have days that allow you to start the license process. Basically you have to ride all day at a trackday without crashing will instructors play with you a bit, then you have to compete in a mock-race. This will get you a yellow plate, and a prov-nov shirt. After some corner working and a few races you'll lose your prov-nov shirt. I have no idea what it requires to get a white plate, but I think its a certain number of points.

This is all for CMRA.

CMRA #302
Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Thanks popo
... explain that a lil more...
To be perfectly honest, I don't know EXACTLY how it all breaks down. What I can tell you is that Mini sprints are rfor small displacement bikes. Sprints are for 600cc and 1000cc bikes, and mini endurance races are 4 hour races with a 3 man team.

When I say classes based on skill/displacement I mean they have separate standings for novice/expert (although I think you're actually on the track all at the same time) and different classes for 600cc bikes vs. 1000cc bikes.

CMRA #302

Last edited by Chubby Racer; 06-17-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

This past weekend at OHR LSTD had a few folks including a young lady on an NSR50 who had passed the mock race. It was fun to watch.
Almost every Friday LSTD trackday before CMRA events you can take you class for your CMRA liscense and then join in the mock race.

Lots of fun
Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

http://www.cmraracing.com/involvement.htm
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Getting a race license is kind of a long process. At least two of the trackday organizations around town have days that allow you to start the license process. Basically you have to ride all day at a trackday without crashing will instructors play with you a bit, then you have to compete in a mock-race. This will get you a yellow plate, and a prov-nov shirt. After some corner working and a few races you'll lose your prov-nov shirt. I have no idea what it requires to get a white plate, but I think its a certain number of points.

This is all for CMRA.
Thank You.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

LSTD can get you in with CMRA, and Buck (LMS) can get you in with CCS

My mock race was cool. Cant wait to go racing again!

Advertisement